Aaron Sorkin's new HBO series "The Newsroom"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Here's the first trailer for the HBO series which hits the air in late June..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC8ovJYAU3U&feature=player_embedded

The first part is reminiscent of Judd Hirsch's breakdown in the "Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip" premiere.

...let's hope things go better after that.

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/02/aaron_sorkins_right_wing_fantasy/

Interesting stuff...except he mistakenly credits Sorkin with creating Matt Santos and Arnold Vinick, which actually happened 2 years after he left "The West Wing".

2. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Sounds Like "must miss" TV to me. HBO will have to change
    direction to get their subscribers back. The network has really
    "Mahr-ed" their reputation for quality over the last few years.

3. dirwuf

Yeah, there's no appeal for a show done by the writer of "The West Wing" and "The Social Network"...

DLant likes this.
  4. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Yes. Game of Thrones really sucks ...

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I smell the taint of the sort of opinionation not encouraged here. :shh:

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Mary Coughlan - Invisible To You

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Same with "Boardwalk Empire" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

7. Reminiscent of the CBC's show called - yep, you guessed it, 'The Newsroom.' Looks like a dramatic twist on the CBC's very dark comedy.

8. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Available soon on DVD/Blu-Ray at a library near you.

9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Looks like another one-season wonder for Sorkin--I think "Network" did this all nearly 40 years ago at this point. HBO is starting to seem like it needs some fresh ideas- the trailer for "Veep" doesn't seem particularly inspired/original either

10. dirwuf

Yeah, this subject shouldn't be revisited because it was so well done 40 years ago...

11. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Long in the tooth, Ruth

I've heard it's good...I'm waiting for the Blu-Ray of Season 1. The rest of HBO's current programming is a weak reflection of their 1999-2008 prime with THE SOPRANOS, THE WIRE, DEADWOOD, ROME, CARNIVALE etc. I guess BOARDWALK EMPIRE is ok, but certainly not up to the standards they had previously set. It should be much better than it actually is considering all the talent involved.

12. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

It was-and a fresh take would be good but this just kind of looks like a rehash to me. Who knows, maybe it's awesome, I can only judge it by the promo. But what do I know? I thought "The Sopranos" was just a tv series version of "Goodfellas" with some great episodes and too many mediocre ones. Some people thought it was the greatest thing ever.

13. And "The Newsroom" was really just a subdued version of "The Larry Sanders Show" set in a newsroom. They all feed off of each other!

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Second trailer now up, more intense than the first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgFZbrwmndA

Granted, it's a little sanctimonious and self-serving, but I can't get enough of those snappy Aaron Sorkin one-liners. I'm looking forward to it -- though I agree that it looks like a combination of Network and Studio 60 Live on the Sunset Strip.

Also nice to see Jane Fonda back. She's held up well.

15. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Huh? According to who?

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sanctimonious and self-serving? From the guy who did Sports Night, The West Wing and Studio 60? I'm shocked! ;)

(I was a fan of all three, and I'll certainly give this a chance).

17. Let's not forget that Sorkin also wrote "The American President" with Michael Douglas & Annette Bening. It was basically the big-screen blueprint for "The West Wing", directed by Rob Reiner!!!:love:
    Hell, it even had Martin Sheen playing Douglas' Chief Of Staff!!!

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

never liked either one of them either, infact i find 'game of thrones' to be absolutely wretched.. for every 'sopranos' there are 3 'game of thrones' on HBO.

19. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

"Game of Thrones" is the best series on TV (not just HBO) since "The Wire." Great stories with many intriguing characters--really do yourself a favor and give it another chance--

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Can't leave Curb off that list. :righton: Or even Entourage, which although I am not a huge fan of, is still an excellent show in its own right.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I loved West Wing until Sorkin left, and I liked the first couple of episodes of Studio 60 and the last couple of episodes. But a lot of the other shows... eh.

Sorkin is a really, really talented guy, though. Loved what he did with Social Network.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I thought hurricanes were caused by LOW barometric pressure- ??

23. Teek

Teek Forum Resident

I can't wait for the new Sorkin show. Sports Night is one of my favorite tv shows of all time and The Social Network is the best movie of the last 5 years. His resume is pretty amazing - I'd watch just about anything he wrote.

24. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

I thought the first 20 minutes were some of the best TV I have seen.

25. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I really liked it...the speech about where the US stands in relation to other countries was awesome. Seems similar to The West Wing except that instead of showing that government can be a force for good it is a news show. Sometimes I wish his shows were real life instead of what we actually have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.