Aaron Sorkin's new HBO series "The Newsroom"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Well-drawn, interesting characters. Excellent writing. Above average cast.

Yep, seems like perfect reasons to me.

2. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Well due to the series-long story used for this series, it kind of makes sense that most of it was wrapped up in the final episode. A new series would probably include another series-long story arc, but there are plenty of things to spill over (the trial, the engagement, Jim's mistake coming to light, Sloan & Don and what Maggie makes of it, Lisa & Maggie). It's not like a third series would be completely separate.

3. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Knowing Sorkin, when the show returned it would be a year later and Will and Mac's marriage ended after three months...

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

This show has steadily improved over this season so as it's thoroughly enjoyable now whereas I used to cringe watching it

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh! It'd be interesting to see how two people working together 12 hours a day in the cable news business could stay married for very long. My guess is that you're right, and when the show comes back, they'll be split and bickering.

6. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

You're likely 100% right. But I hope you're wrong.

7. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Bah! How does that fit in with what was just called "Frank Capra 2013"? I can completely understand the reason the marriage seems destined to be rocky, but with optimism being one of the hallmarks of Sorkin's work, I am at a loss to predict how he would actually treat this development in a theoretical third season. My best guess is that when we pick up the story eventually, the wedding will not have even occurred yet.

I do have to say that despite the tonal issues in the first season, there were many moments in the first go-round that I had a stronger reaction to than in this season. And I don't think I liked any particular episode more than "Bullies" or "5/1" from last season. I appreciate the ambition of the season-long arc that was developed, but to me that was too restrictive. Overall, this was definitely a more mannered, consistent show which fits the milieu better. But I missed some of the broad Sorkinesque humor. Somehow, he found a way to balance these tones in "The West Wing" and I'd like to see if he can find that kind of dynamic in a third season.

In writing this reply, I looked back at an episode list on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Newsroom_episodes - and noticed that the first season enjoyed a resurgence of ratings in the second half, eventually topping their premiere numbers for the finale. If we want to extrapolate any reactions based on ratings for season two, viewers weren't as enthusiastic to come back after the first week. The good news is that the numbers seem to be bobbing around 1.6 to 1.8 million viewers and not dropping in a freefall. Not sure how that compares to other HBO series.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm hoping for a third season. As for ratings summer shows are always down so I think their good enough for another season.

9. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I have thoroughly enjoyed both seasons of Newsroom, and hope there will be a third season. It also makes me realize how much I miss The West Wing.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. I agree it got better, but I still cringe occasionally.

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

yes me too

12. Peter_R

I never got into The West Wing. I really liked Sports Night & Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

While I understand why some people would cringe, I like Sorkin's stories because of the ideal they represent. They can be dark, there can be despair, but there's altruism and an idealism that I find endearing.

minerwerks and sberger like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The first few years when West Wing was under Sorkin's control, I think those shows precisely meet your description. But it lost quite a bit of sparkle and shimmer once he bowed out.

14. Peter_R

I'll eventually get to it. Between life, the day-to-day & everything else that's out there I just don't know when I will see it.

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I think it's one of the better new shows. Admittedly, it's no Breaking Bad (what is?), but it's well written and intelligent, even if real people don't always speak so wittily.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And I was very surprised to see Jeff Daniels take home the Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama last night. I'm amazed he took the award away from Bryan Cranston on Breaking Bad.

Apparently, Walter White is not happy about it, either:

Let's hope Cranston wins next year...

DeeThomaz likes this.
  17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I was stunned, too. Sure, Daniels is good in his role, but it not nearly as demanding as Cranston's.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hopefully Jeff winning will bring us another season...

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Jeff has already moved on to Dumb and Dumber To, which is a big departure from the slick, smartest-guy-in-the-room character he played in Newsroom...

[​IMG]

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Your hotlinked image isn't showing up...

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm seeing it. Here's another linked image from Jim Carrey & Jeff Daniels on the set of Dumb and Dumber To:

[​IMG]

22. I'll usually watch anything Jeff Daniels is in, but I may have to make an exception for this.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Jim Carrey is pretty desperate for a hit. It's kind of sad to reflect that right now, I'd say Jeff Daniels is arguably more successful in Hollywood than Carrey.

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.