ABBA Arrival Discomate – counterfeit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Downsampled, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently received this CD, a Discomate release of ABBA’s Arrival. I see, however, a couple details that make me suspicious. Specifically, the inner aluminum hub seems a little wider than photos I've seen, and the black band around the perimeter seems thinner. The matrix is etched, not stamped, and is a very clean CDP 104 M5E12.

Everything else (the booklet, for example) looks legit enough, and maybe there are variations I don't know about. I am certainly no expert on these Discomate CDs. They are rare enough that I wouldn't be surprised if there were fakes out there.

This page, for example, shows a CD with these differences. (The CD in the photo looks like it might be a JVC pressing; mine does not.)

Any opinions? If anyone has peak levels, I'd love to compare.

[​IMG]

2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

It looks legit to me but I'm not an expert. I have several CD's with the matrix etched, two of them are two early European DADC Austrian made and another one made in the US by JVC.

3. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It's impossible to tell based on the picture you've attached. I'd need a picture of the matrix number and the inner hub on the label side to tell.

4. Downsampled

Fair enough! Does this help?

[​IMG]

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I love a good mystery-
    Posting a link to an illegal warez/music site helped :D
    I have no clue if that counterfeit used the same mastering, or if it's even different to the old Polygram. I'd say with that clean matrix you have a nice Russian replica
    ABBA - Arrival

Robert C likes this.
  6. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I'm afraid that it is a fake. The matrix number isn't stamped, the typeface is wrong and it's also in the wrong place. The inner aluminum hub is too wide and the label print shouldn't be fuzzy. I wonder if they used the authentic mastering though!

Dave, Dave S and c-eling like this.
  7. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Funnily enough, the CD pictures on that site look legit.

c-eling likes this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I tried doing an in-depth peak level search (no luck) to try and figure out if the Japan is different or just used the old Polygram, would be interesting info!

9. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

The mastering for the Discomate discs is different to the European Polydors.

c-eling likes this.
  10. Downsampled

Hrmm. Yes, well I didn't have a good feeling about it, given the look of the matrix and those other things. Thanks for the comments.

The peak levels of this disc are: 70.9 / 78.6 / 61.7 / 84.1 / 87.0 / 97.8 / 80.8 / 80.9 / 72.8 / 57.6

If anyone can post peak levels from a confirmed legit copy, that would be excellent.

c-eling likes this.
  11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I thought it was a fake when I saw the first picture (the matrix band is too wide), but that comfirms it. As KennyG said, the font is wrong, and the last two digits, i.e., 12, should be hand etched.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  12. havefun6699

havefun6699 Senior Member

The peak levels for the real Discomate edition are the same.
    [​IMG]

Marc 74 likes this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have a few of the Abba Discomates and will check, but initial impression is that doesn't look good.

14. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

Should there be a comma after the 3rd "money"? It has one here.
    And, shouldn't "Why Did It Have To Be Me" have a question mark? It doesn't have one here.

15. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Was it probably this one ?

16. Downsampled

That's consoling I suppose.

My personal preference is not to bring the seller into this thread. I am going to assume good faith. Not everyone is crazy about the details the way we are here. I'm not even sure if it's worth returning, although I will inform the seller, at least.

Speaking of details: While the matrix on this one is obviously different from the photos I've seen, I was mostly curious if these were all pressed at the same plant (which I considered most likely). The photos look like JVC, is that right? Were all the ABBA Discomates JVC pressings?

17. havefun6699

havefun6699 Senior Member

The matrix is JVC old style. AFAIK all Discomate ABBA CD's were pressed at the Victor Music Industries CD plant in Yokohama

Downsampled likes this.
  18. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

I once bought what I thought was Gemini's first album with is quite rare on CD - and it turned out to be a Russian counterfeit - when I contacted the Ebay seller "his first response was - well, what did you expect for 30 USD?" - he eventually agreed to pay me back my money when I threatened to give him bad feedback.

19. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Yes, there are so many counterfeit pressings out there on CD...but what shall we do when the labels refuse to release the old masterings ??? I also bought some russian counterfeit CDs of old metal albums, especially Noise and Combat releases. Original CDs are impossible to find or much too expensive, but I want the old masterings (and, of course, the original designs of the booklets and discs), so I bought some counterfeit CDs for 5 Euro per CD...
    Sure, it doesn't feel right to buy such releases, but I would pay the double price when I would have the chance to support the artists...it's a difficult situation...

anduandi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.