Abba -- Arrival to get Deluxe Edition treatment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KennyG, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident Thread Starter

Told you it was coming :D . It will probably use the same mastering as last year's boxset and Greatest Hits Vol 1.

+++++++++++ [from abbasite.com]

Arrival Deluxe Edition on the way
    The classic 1976 album, featuring hits such as Dancing Queen, Knowing Me, Knowing You and Money, Money, Money, to be released in an expanded edition with bonus tracks and a companion DVD featuring unique television performances.

October 2006 is the preliminary release date for the upcoming Deluxe Edition of ABBA's classic Arrival album. Originally issued 30 years ago, in October 1976, Arrival is one of ABBA's most successful albums. It topped the album charts in at least 10 nations and was the biggest-selling album of 1977 in several countries.

The upcoming Deluxe Edition, which also celebrates the album's 30th Anniversary, will feature two discs. Disc 1 is the original album, expanded with relevant bonus tracks. Disc 2 will contain classic television archive material, some of which has rarely been seen since originally broadcast. All material on the DVD is previously unreleased on DVD.

The DVD track list is almost finalised, and we can reveal that the excellent 1976 television special ABBA-dabba-dooo!! (aka ABBA From The Beginning) - featuring interviews with the ABBA members and performances of 8 of the 10 songs on the Arrival album - will be the main attraction on the DVD. All songs will be synchronised with the latest stereo masters, except the two live numbers Dum Dum Diddle and Why Did It Have To Be Me, and When I Kissed The Teacher, which featured a unique, early mix that differed from the album version. These three songs will appear as originally broadcast.

The final track list for the DVD of the Arrival Deluxe Edition will be revealed here at ABBA - The Site before the end of June. Watch this space...

Disc 1, CD track list:

1. When I Kissed The Teacher
    2. Dancing Queen
    3. My Love, My Life
    4. Dum Dum Diddle
    5. Knowing Me, Knowing You
    6. Money, Money, Money
    7. That’s Me
    8. Why Did It Have To Be Me
    9. Tiger
    10. Arrival

BONUS TRACKS

11. Fernando
    12. Happy Hawaii
    13. Fernando (Spanish version)
    14. La Reina Del Baile (Spanish version of Dancing Queen)
    15. Conociéndome, Conociéndote (Spanish version of Knowing Me, Knowing You)
    16. Fernando (Frida’s Swedish solo version)

Disc 2, DVD track list:

1. ABBA-dabba-dooo!!, one-hour television special, first broadcast in 1976

The remaining DVD tracks will be revealed shortly...

2. TimM

TimM Senior Member

This is my favorite ABBA album, but I still haven't found a CD version I like. Unless I hear something good about this one I will probably pass. None of the bonus material appears compelling enough to buy another bad sounding remaster.

3. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

You didn't like the recent box set? I can't imagine they'll do a new remaster for the deluxe version...

Martin

4. KennyG

What about the TV special? ABBA fans have been going nuts about that addition, even if the CD bonus tracks have been rehashed a zillion times before. Indeed, you could argue that the bonus tracks aren't the right ones -- the b-side of Money, Money, Money, Crazy World is missing for one thing...

5. jacden

jacden Senior Member

For the recent Complete Studio Recordings boxed set they put "Crazy World" on the "ABBA" album. Perhaps it was recorded during sessions for that album?

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Thanks for the news. It was a favorite of mine and yes I'll be buying the deluxe set. I used to have the Polydor West Germany CD of it but stupidly got rid of it BEFORE listening to the 1997 Polar re-master I bought. Bitterly regretted doing it.

7. KennyG

Crazy World was originally recorded during the sessions for that album but was later reworked for the b-side of Money, Money, Money. Sticking it on Abba was a strange decision as was putting the 1978 remix of Medley (the b-side of Summer Night City) on it too. Or the decision to split Gracias Por La Musica up and stick the individual tracks on different discs :realmad:

8. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Well, I need to be fair here and admit that I do not own the box set, is it really that good? I own three versions of the CD with the original Polydor being the only one that would get a passing grade. The two original greatest hits packages sound very good(Atlantic Records, I think?) The two ABBA Gold sets sound very bad. I would be interested in hearing the Box set if everyone says it sound better, to be honest most of my ABBA listening is done with the original LP's.

9. sbroache

sbroache Forum Resident

I got the Weat German Polydor CD on ebay a few weeks ago and I love it!!!! Sounds very smooth and natural.

10. KennyG

The boxset is probably the best Abba remaster out there. It's been compressed a little but there's bugger all noise reduction and other processing, which has really all the Astley fans (they do exist in Abba circles).

On some albums, it is *whisper* better than the West German CDs, particularly the first three albums. Arrival sounds good too. The Album was mastered from dodgy tapes so it doesn't sound great. Voulez-Vous is excellent as is Super Trouper. The Visitors is a decent mastering too but it's not as good as the original 1982 CD.

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

{reposted here - instead of there}

The CD is likely a direct port over from the COMPLETE STUDIO RECORDINGS box set, since the track listing is identical, down to the bonus tracks. I continue to be impressed with the remastering job done on that box set, making these old songs sound so much warmer than they did on the Astley remastered stuff.

Though I bought the box set last December, I hadn't really listened to it all that much, mainly because I tend to prefer ABBA's hit material to the filler tracks on the albums. As a result, when I've been in an ABBA mood, I'd be more likely to grab the GOLD compilation - it sounds a bit better than that Astley ULTIMATE COLLECTION.

Then a week or so ago, I found the new GREATEST HITS compilation in Borders. Knowing I didn't really need it, but curious anyway, I bought it. What I found was that the songs on this disc sounded so much warmer and more natural than the shrill masterings I was used to. That got me to dig out the box set again and do some exploring. The tracks on the box set are the same remasters as on this new GREATEST HITS issue.

Today, I decided to make my own assembly of GREATEST HITS VOL. 2. I looked up the track listing and made up a CD-R of those 14 tracks. It came out astoundingly nice. I highly recommend that box set to any fan of ABBA. Though I haven't heard the original Atlantic-issued versions of these two GREATEST HITS CDs, I can't imagine them sounding any better than these current remasterings.

As for the new ARRIVAL disc, I'll probably pick it up for the unique video offerings, assuming it is not a PAL disc. The DVDs in my box set were not PAL, and I bought it in Germany!

Harry

12. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Harry,

Are you referring to the new Euro release of 30th Anniversary of GH1 that has the really cool (or scary) gothic illustration of ABBA that was used in the original Swedish LP release?

The Mastering on this one is really great! The best mastered versions of these tracks I have heard so far and I DO have the "Complete Studio Albums" collection. This CD is well worth seeking and is also packaged in a minature replica Sleeve of the original gatefold. Maybe they will do the same with GH Vol. 2!

Attached Files:

13. HGN2001

Yes, that's the one I found on sale at our local Borders. It's amazing sounding, and it has hooked me on a few more of their lesser hits - "Bang A Boomerang", "Hasta Mañana", and "Another Town, Another Train."

Harry

14. HGN2001

Updated info - tracklist complete

Here's the updated tracklisting for the upcoming CD/DVD for ABBA'a ARRIVAL, as quoted from ABBA-the site:

http://www.abbasite.com/news/index.php?id=1546

_____________________________________________________________________________
    Arrival Deluxe Edition – tracklist finalised

Vintage television performances and rare interviews on the DVD included with the upcoming Deluxe version of Arrival.

The track listing for the upcoming release of Arrival Deluxe Edition has now been finalised. In a previous news item here at ABBA – The Site, we revealed the track listing for the CD (Disc 1), and also the first track on the DVD (Disc 2): the television special ABBA-dabba-dooo!! We are now delighted to announce the complete track list for the entire package, including a few details for the rare items on Disc 2, all of which are previously unreleased on DVD:

Disc 1, CD track list:

1. When I Kissed The Teacher
    2. Dancing Queen
    3. My Love, My Life
    4. Dum Dum Diddle
    5. Knowing Me, Knowing You
    6. Money, Money, Money
    7. That’s Me
    8. Why Did It Have To Be Me
    9. Tiger
    10. Arrival

BONUS TRACKS

11. Fernando
    12. Happy Hawaii
    13. Fernando (Spanish version)
    14. La Reina Del Baile (Spanish version of Dancing Queen)
    15. Conociéndome, Conociéndote (Spanish version of Knowing Me, Knowing You)
    16. Fernando (Frida’s Swedish solo version)

Disc 2, DVD track list:

1. ABBA-dabba-dooo!!

This legendary 1976 television special, originally screened in November 1976, was the first to take an in-depth look at the ABBA phenomenon, featuring interviews with the group and its individual members. Eight songs from the Arrival album were performed in the one-hour programme. Dancing Queen is featured in the shape of the familiar promo clip (also available on the DVDs The Definitive Collection and ABBA Gold), but the remaining performances were made especially for this programme. They are: Knowing Me, Knowing You; When I Kissed The Teacher (featuring a different, early mix); Dum Dum Diddle (live); My Love, My Life; Money, Money, Money; Tiger; Why Did It Have To Be Me (live).

2. Dancing Queen

This performance has been taken from the West German television special The Best Of ABBA / Musikladen Extra, filmed in January 1976.

3. Fernando

A performance from Top Of The Pops, April 1976, featuring a different mix of the song.

4. Happy Hawaii

This cartoon version of Happy Hawaii was originally to be featured in a projected series of ABBA cartoons, instigated in 1976. The project was ultimately shelved, but not before this unique clip was completed.

5. Dancing Queen recording session

Rare glimpses of ABBA recording their most famous song. Although extracts of this recording session have been seen in other programmes, this selection includes every bit of available footage from the session, as originally featured in the Swedish 1975 documentary, Mr Trendsetter.

6. ABBA in London, November 1976

A feature on ABBA’s visit to London, promoting the Arrival album. The complete report of this visit, taken from the Young Nation section of the current affairs show Nationwide, has not been seen since originally broadcast in November 1976.

7. ABBA’s 1976 success – news report

This report, capturing ABBA at the height of their 1976 success, was originally featured in the Swedish news programme Rapport in December 1976.

8. Arrival television commercial I
    9. Arrival television commercial II

Two different commercials for the Arrival album, originally screened in the UK in early 1977.

10. International sleeve gallery

A gallery of Arrival-related single and album sleeves from around the world.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Looks interesting.

Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.