ABBA "Complete Singles Collection" 2CD info sought!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamiesjamies, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wondered if anyone can help me with this. I am trying to get a complete set of Abba studio albums on earliest Polar labels, (have 3 so far! + "Abba Live" and "Pa Svenska") I have decided against going for "Greatest Hits 2" and "Singles, First 10 years" as they always go for so much and don't really have the funds. To complete my collection I was thinking of getting the 1999 compilation, to cover those few tracks that didn't appear on studio albums. I have absolutely everything digitally but wanted to make sure I have the core catalogue covered on CD. What is the sound quality like for this comp? And also, when I see it advertised I see it often says limited edition, are there different versions? If so, how do they differ? Any information would be much appreciated as I can't seem to find any on the net other than track listings!

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don't have the Complete Collection CD you seek, but Abba The First 10 Years was amongst the first batch of CDs I bought. I didn't realise it was so rare now.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  3. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I have the 1999 double CD.
    If you are looking for the complete single a-sides and a handful of rarer tracks and if you are not a fiend of the 1997 Astley remasters, go for it. Sound is louder than on the earlier CD releases, but okay.
    As a serious collector who is also interested in all b-sides, you should buy the "Singles 1972-1982" box set. It has the same mastering (if you buy the 1999 version) as the double CD, but contains all stuff in its completeness.
    Both releases are not really rare...so you should find it easily.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  4. jamiesjamies

Thanks for the info! Bobby I don't think it is super rare on the Polydor label. It's because I am a completist and want them all on the blue Polar label which tends to go for more money! If you have that then congratulations!!

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

No, mine is them Polydor one. I got it in 1986.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  6. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It's not the path I would take if you were interested in sound quality. They sound almost identical to the 1997 remasters, which is hardly surprising as Astley did them too. If you want to mop up non-album tracks, I suggest you look at this:

http://abbaoncd.wordpress.com/european-compilations/essential/

Those CDs should get you everything you are missing except Santa Rosa, Crazy World and You Owe Me One.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  7. jamiesjamies

Will do! Thanks for the advice Kenny!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.