Abba - Greatest hits (Atlantic-CD) for a bargain price

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by anduandi, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member Thread Starter

:)
    Today I received Abba's Greatest hits (Atlantic pressing) from an American seller (Amazon marketplace). The cd is used (of course;))and has some surface wear but it plays fine. The booklet is like new.
    I payed 10.84 $ for it postage included.:goodie:
    Isn't that great ?

jamiesjamies likes this.
  2. Did you know it was the Atlantic version when you bought it?

-s1m0n-

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Excellent score the Atlantic pressing is a great sounding disc :righton:

Simon :)

4. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Is it the West German target pressing, the WEA American pressing, or the Sanyo American pressing?

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

How does it sound?

6. darkmatter

Good question, I have the former and latter.

7. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member Thread Starter

It is the American WEA pressing. I knew before buying because I contacted the seller. Sounds really nice :righton:
    Now I have nearly all Abba songs in their best sounding version on cd, according to ABBA plaza by forum member Robert.
    I rebought most of the original Polar/Polydor cds + the Atlantic Greatest hits vol. 1 and vol. 2 and Super Trouper. Fortunately I never gave away The Singles - The first 10 years.

8. This is a great 2-CD set and for some songs, it has the best digital versions in my opinion.

9. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I don't know if its worth bragging or not but I just realized I picked up a West German Target copy of this from Half Price Books for $4.98. I got a feeling I picked up yet another great score. :D

As far as my other ABBA CDs I currently own:

ABBA = Polydor 4228358322 (yellow CD label)
    Waterloo = Spectrum Music 550 0342/LC 5064 - unique because it has Gonna Sing and Watch Out flipped on the track order
    Super Trouper = Polydor LC 0309 (has some volume drops)

Thankfully I got most of the ABBA catalog on vinyl in good condition so I'll be needledropping those soon.

10. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Yikes, that is a coveted target if I'm not mistaken. Nice score!

11. I like the sound of the early Discomate CDs but they're crazy rare. I have yet to do an A/B with them...

-s1m0n-

12. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

What's sad is that they also had Volume 2 there. I didn't realize it was a Target plus I thought I had Volume 2 on CD already so I passed. Got home and realized I have it on vinyl but not on CD. Went back the next day and it was gone. :shake:

13. darkmatter

Hi Roland,

What are the matrix numbers of your set?

Regards,

14. ABBAFANUSA

ABBAFANUSA Forum Resident

There are 4 CD pressings of 'The Singles The First Ten Years' that I know of:
    Polydor 810 050-2- Made In Germany
    Polydor 810 050-2- Made In Australia
    Polar POLCD 401-2-Made In Sweden
    Atlantic CD 80036- Made In Canada

15. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

I have the Polar POLCD 400/401-2 Made in West Germany

16. Sorry, must have missed your post previously.

Here you go:

Disc 1: 810 051-2 03 + MADE IN GERMANY
    Disc 2: 810 052-2 02 % MADE IN GERMANY

Silver to the spindle hole.

I think I also have a Sonopress copy somewhere, have to check those matrix numbers.

I would think that all of these have the same mastering, or am I mistaken?

17. darkmatter

Many thanks for that Roland, appreciated :righton:

18. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The regular European Greatest Hits 2 on Polydor was pretty good and can be got cheaply.

19. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

That's a good sounding disc indeed. I also have the Abba Gold and More Gold compilations from 1992 (with the black and the white cover respectively) that were pressed in Germany. Those sound fine as well. That was before they started reissuing these comps under various names and started tinkering with the sound.

20. cnzsystem

cnzsystem Member

Recently I just got Atlantic Greatest Hits. It sounds very nice. Best version of Honey Honey. And I can hear tape hiss so it appear no NR has been used. However EQ changed has been applied so I wouldn't call it a flat transfer.

21. Todd Pass

Todd Pass Forum Resident

I've come across these discs from time to time at the Exchange stores here in Cleveland. Paid a grand total of $10 combined for Vols. 1 & 2.

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

When have you heard the master tapes?

23. cnzsystem

cnzsystem Member

It's obvious. When comparing the tracks from polydor release (unremastered) of their studio albums it sounds a bit brighter.

Only possible explanation is when they produced the GH master EQ has been changed during duplication process from individual mixdown but when Atlantic got the tape it's a flat transfer.

Maybe??:shh:

24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

This doesn't necessarily mean that it was the Atlantic release which was tweaked.

25. cnzsystem

cnzsystem Member

The Singles - First Ten years are worst sounding UNremastered ABBA complication CDs. There are lots of tape dropout at start of tracks and also compression applied. EQ is thin sound. Quite bad actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.