ABBA Mastering on cd waveforms help

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

+1.

I've done this too, well, with the exception of the first three records and The Album. I'd love to get a copy of the 1988 Polar ABBA CD, but that is probably next to impossible; the 2008 version from The Albums box really isn't that bad, IMO.

And thank you for the info., Kenny! I need to get that box set ASAP.

2. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

Make sure to get an older version. Even the TYFTM box was remastered/re-issued a few years ago!

3. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It was reissued but has never been remastered.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Just looking at a waveform will not tell you if the sound is good. It still may have been compressed, been subjected to NR, ect...

5. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Aren't identical versions of Lovelight and Cassandra on 1993 More Abba Gold?

6. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

The '94's are brighter. More treble on them.

7. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

I don't have the 1994 Thank You For The Music boxset but the 1993 More Abba Gold CD. For my ears this CD is a little to bright and you say the '94's from the TYFTM boxset are even brighter?

8. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

Yes. To my ears, at least.

9. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Why should I prefer the even brighter TYFTM boxset when the less brighter 1993 More Abba Gold CD is already too bright to my ears?

10. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

TYFTM is not brighter - it's the same masters only a bit louder, which in the case of the More Abba Gold tracks is probably a good thing because that CD was mastered at far too low a level to begin with.

11. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Kenny,

With all due respect. The waveforms from the box set are clipped from the earlier posts. The waveforms on More Abba Gold have room but certainly not too low.

12. Hootenannysinger

Hootenannysinger Member

I agree, the 1993 More Gold waveforms look better and the Box looks clipped. How could the Gold be too low? Compared with a lot of other music it's still compressed and mastered high.

13. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I judge it on my ears, not the waveforms. Plus I think that any claim that the waveform from TYFTM is clipped is marginal at best - certainly, it's a complaint that I've never heard about that release before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.