ABBA single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

My ranking of all the ABBA singles so far:

1. SOS
    2. Take a Chance on Me
    3. Knowing Me, Knowing You
    4. Mamma Mia
    5. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
    6. Dancing Queen
    7. Waterloo
    8. Fernando
    9. Does Your Mother Know
    10. The Name of the Game
    11. Money, Money, Money
    12. Angeleyes
    13. Voulez-Vous
    14. Honey, Honey
    15. Ring Ring
    16. Chiquitita
    17. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
    18. Summer Night City
    19. I Have a Dream
    20. So Long
    21. Eagle
    22. Love Isn't Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough)
    23. He Is Your Brother
    24. People Need Love

John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, that about sums it up. For me it was a Christmas hit, even though it’s not a Christmas song at all. It’s sweet and sentimental. Nicely arranged and performed as well. Some fans really hate this one, but I don’t feel that strongly. I do prefer it to the dreaded Chiquitita too. I Have A Dream does outstay it’s welcome a bit, but it’s still not as long as Chiquitita.:)

I have to say I quite like the Westlife version too.:hide: Didn’t Bjorn (or Benny) say at the time that he loved the Westlife arrangement and wished they’d done the ABBA one like that?

Here’s the UK chart for the week I Have A Dream peaked at #2. Happy Christmas everyone.:D

[​IMG]

3. How about a compilation focusing on ABBA dance songs, with remixes only using the original multitracks?

I think Dimitri From Paris, John Morales, Mike Maurro and Tom Moulton could sprinkle some dancefloor magic over tracks such as: Dancing Queen, Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight), Voulez-Vous, Summer Night City and Lay All Your Love On Me (and a couple of others).

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Who’s that in your avatar?

5. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

I Have A Dream was and still is my least favourite of their singles from the mid to late 70s. I'll always associate it with a nose that needs wiping thanks to the clip they used repeatedly on TV in the UK.

6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I have tried many times over the years to forget it, without success.

gomen ne and tin ears like this.
  7. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

"I Have A Dream" is a pleasant album track but I can see why it didn't why it wasn't a big top 40 hit over here. It is beautiful song with a nice arrangement but it's too MOR even for the seemingly diverse top 40 format of that era. It did prove to be successful on Easy Listening Stations , particularly in Canada.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Boy George after a particularly heavy night.
    Oh sorry I thought you was talking to me :D

gomen ne and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"I Have a Dream"

A ballad ready for Eurovision, especially with the children's choir.

I can see why it made the Christmas charts in Britain.

Jarleboy, sunspot42 and John Adam like this.
  10. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

In a perfect world Gimme Gimme Gimme would of been a monster hit here!

What I remember most is the snot-nosed child in the video too! lol As others have said, "I Have A Dream" is a cute little pop song, produced beautifully. I think it under utilizes Frida's vocal abilities, and it goes On and On and On. But not in a good way. I know we will discuss that one later, maybe???

I have this single as a UK import, because of the "live" b-side, otherwise to me it was just an album track that was a single in other countries. Atlantic records smartly passed on this one as a single release here. But an edited version could of been an AC hit perhaps in late 1979 early 1980, after the recent success of Chiquitita. Surprised it wasn't on the (then) current Greatest Hits Vol. II, unless it was a totally off the cuff, surprise release. The UK clan here can educate me on this! :)

Jarleboy and Haristar like this.
  11. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Lawrence Hayward from Felt.

Bobby Morrow and John Adam like this.
  12. John Adam

Have to check out this band. It was unknown to me.

Haristar likes this.
  13. gomen ne

gomen ne -

"If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
    You can take the future even if you fail
    I believe in angels"

Urghh.

I'm sorry - when music started to have a bit of bite to it in the late 70s this was not what I wanted to hear. Then if it wasn't sugary enough for you just wheel on a load of singing kids. Like my sister and her mates.
    Torture.

Vagabone likes this.
  14. gomen ne

gomen ne -

[​IMG]
    Are you sure that's not Mme Tussauds? He looks well rough there.

15. John Adam

I will have to check this out too. A different arrangement might make a bit of difference, because it's not a bad song. I also wanted to note that Frida and Dan Daniell recorded a "duet version" around 2004, that either improved it or butchered it, depending on your view. I'm going to remain neutral on that one........

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. I Have A Dream
    Certainly not a bad song at all, but after the upbeat snappiness of the previous 2 tracks...this feels to melancholic.
    Beautifully arranged, just not a personal favourite.
    3/5

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"I Have a Dream" is one of those songs you feel a bit guilty about disliking, because it's so... nice. The word "twee" was invented to describe this song. The lyrics are dreadful. the music is OK, but a bit simple.

Jarleboy and sunspot42 like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Here you go.

Westlife were huge in the UK in the late 90s/early 2000s. They were almost as big as ABBA in the 70s.:D

John Adam likes this.
  19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

gomen ne and tin ears like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

That it was in the top 5 alongside Day Trip To Bangor speaks volumes about UK tastes in 1979.

Sadly, Day Trip To Bangor is much better!

Jarleboy and gomen ne like this.
  21. John Adam

Can't say I like this. Not familiar with Westlife at all. Can't imagine them being as big as ABBA!!!
    One of the guys looks familiar. Did one become a somewhat successful solo artist. It may have been something I saw on threads past or You-Tube. My British music education here.

As long as I am totally disrupting the thread already with my inquisitiveness, "Felt" is great! Bought "Gold Mine Trash" to start me out. Kind of 80's "Cure-ish" in a British way!

Jarleboy, Haristar and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

I was joking about them being as big as ABBA, but they did have a couple of years where they were massive.

A couple of them had solo careers, though you’re unlikely to know them from those as they weren’t particularly successful. One of them (Brian McFadden) dated Delta Goodrem for a while.

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  23. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I think you just made that name up. Nobody can be called Delta Goodrem.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Urgh. Couldn’t stand Westlife. So insipid.

At this time in Abba’s Career they were definitely trying to have something for everyone and their albums were quite varied to accommodate that. I know my mother loved I Have A Dream.

25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

gomen ne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.