ABBA single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

This label seemed to momentarily confuse Billboard; for the single's first week in the Hot 100, they listed the record label as "Chess" (though they had RCA down as the distributor).
    My recollection -- which may be wrong, 33 years later -- is that "American Top 40" usually played the version with the orchestral intro. If I follow correctly, it was on the 4:05 side of the promo 45, which is presumably where AT40 got it from. All these years later, that version of the song sounds 'right' to me.

I would have assumed that the orchestral intro version was the album version, but it sounds like it wasn't. Was it only available on the promo single?

2. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

It seems so.

3. cut to the chase

So here we go: ABBA album by album thread

LarsO and Jarleboy like this.
  4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

In the U.S., yes. But it's on the Canadian, British, German and most other countries' 45s.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Reading through the list I can’t help but think not releasing Honey Honey in the UK was a big mistake.
    It’s not their best song, but as it’s one of their catchy, early singles it can’t be missed.

Remington Steele and Jarleboy like this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I know I had the "Bangkok" single, but I don't recall that particular non-orchestral intro. Maybe I had the US 12" - although I don't recall that lengthy break, either.

:shrug:

Anyhow, "Bangkok" caught my attention immediately - this was toward the tail end of me listening to the AT 40 regularly on the weekend - and I picked up the single pretty quickly. It sound and still sounds like an ABBA track sans the girls. Would have been a hoot to hear them sing it, but alas...

7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Well, if your claim to fame involves juggling with torches you’re certainly onto something unique...

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The song might seem hopeful on paper, but the delivery and the arrangement add a feeling of dread to the proceedings. Where Agnetha’s vocals sounds strident in spots on The Winner Takes It All, here she sounds fragile and somewhat bewildered, as if she’s saying ‘Why me?’. It’s almost as if it’s sung from the afterlife.

Marble Index and Jarleboy like this.
  9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

No matter how haunting it may be, it’s got a pulsating rhythm and the layered production makes it sound big. It always sounded like a big hit to me and it was, at least in Holland. But it seemed to be the thing back then in the fall/winter of 1982: Donna Summer’s cover of State Of Independence, Dire Strait’s Private Investigation and Golden Earring’s Twilight Zone also are quite long, complicated songs and they were huge as well.

sunspot42 and Jarleboy like this.
  10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Even as a 9 year old without any knowledge of any circumstances I felt that UA was gonna be their last single. It just sounded like it was over.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Then there was this version... Barbra Streisand.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Jarleboy and cut to the chase like this.
  12. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

It still holds up pretty well and did have success on the US and Canadian charts.

Jarleboy and Jrr like this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

State Of Independence does remind me a lot of The Day Before You Came...I never would have made that connection. Neither were big hits here, but a lot of people really like it. I think those that do are connecting better with the lyrics than I have. Guess I should give it another listen.

sunspot42 and Jarleboy like this.
  14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The connection I can make, besides what I mentioned earlier, is that both rely on a relaxed drum loop which seemed to be in vogue in 1982/83.
    You don’t need to be a genius to figure out both songs appeared in the same timeframe.

It’s hard for me to figure out which version of SOI I like better, Donna’s or Jon And Vangelis’ original.
    J&V’s version sounds chillier and completely in line with Vangelis’ usual approach. Donna gives it a gospel twist with an impressive build-up. Completely different beasts.

Anyway, back on topic I’m kinda surprised this compilation didn’t get any mention:

[​IMG]

sathvyre, Jrr and Jarleboy like this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I don’t know if there is a thread about this, but I picked up a vinyl version for the soundtrack to Mama Mia Here I Go Again. I only played four songs so far but it’s absolutely wonderful! When I Kissed The Teacher is fabulous!! I don’t care for The Day Before You Came, but I listened to Meryl Streep’s version all the way through and loved it. There are some instrumental elements that sound exactly like the original and as one of the two produced it (forget if it’s Benny ot Bjorn) I bet they used some sampled elements on said songs.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have that and it’s quite nice. I bought it when first released....is it rare?

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Personally, I think it was a mistake they switched out the B-side on You Light Up My Life from He's A Rebel with Hasta Mañana (which was a single by the Boone Girls). I feel it would have been a great follow up single for Debby to capitalize on Light's success which she really needed and would have been an easy hit. It would have brought more light on ABBA too. I don't think it sounds strange at all. It's a nice poppy version.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Boy, did it ! 84 pages and up to Chess .... and I'm back at the beginning .... :wave:

"People Need Love" reminds me a bit of Elton's "Take Me To The Pilot".

chacha and Jarleboy like this.
  19. elvislady

elvislady Well-Known Member

Great thread, Abba were a amazing group, I love doing them on kareoke.

Marble Index and Jarleboy like this.
  20. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Actually, I suspect it was more from Hendrix's "EZY Ryder" ... I can't find the classic studio track, seems to be blocked, but try listen to this live one at 1:45 ..... (?)

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

It’s funny you say that because it’s The Day Before You Came that does that for me. It sounds like they lost the plot and on that one in which it musically goes nowhere. It’s not a coincidence that it was their last recorded song. There was still had some spark and a strong, catchy melody to be found in Under Attack.

chacha and Jrr like this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Couldn’t agree more.

23. cut to the chase

YouTube user '2Shaymcn' uploaded a great performance of 'Summer Night City' on his channel, filmed in Japan in 1978. Agnetha and Frida are as beautiful as ever.

John Adam and bob60 like this.
  24. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Nov.15 : today is FRIDA's 73rd birthday... :cheers:

Marble Index, Jrr and AlmanacZinger like this.
  25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Hold up. They may still have a few singles yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.