ABBA - Super Trouper Deluxe Edition coming May 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OberonOz, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member Thread Starter

By no means totally unexpected, but nonetheless welcome for all that the official ABBA website announces the upcoming Deluxe Edition of Super Trouper. Let the speculation begin as to what this might contain. Lets hope it sounds good and includes some good stuff! :)

Steve

2. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

No 5.1 then? That's too bad...

3. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

I think it's fairly safe to assume that the following bonus tracks will appear:

1) Put On Your White Sombrero
    2) On and On and On - Original "Long" Version (Mono)

I'd also wager that the DVD will include the documentary "Words and Music" from 1980.

Beyond that, no idea. I will be interested to see what they come up with for The Visitors Deluxe when that gets announced and released late this year or early next (I'm guessing!).

4. Waldo1

Waldo1 Forum Resident

I'd like to think that by now the stereo master of the long version of On And On And On will finally have been located. Can't help thinking that the disappointing mono version will make an appearance again though, as you say :-(

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't like Deluxe Editions with DVDs and I'd normally pass. However, I'd like to hear what they do with "Winner ..." as it's one of my all time favourite pop songs. So maybe ...

6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

If it sounds good , i'll probably buy a copy .

7. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

If the Voulez-Vous Deluxe remaster is any indication, we could be in for a very pleasant surprise!

I can't think of any other "rarities" or unreleased tracks from that era, aside from "Burning My Bridges" from the TYFTM Box (And I seriously doubt that B&B would let that go on the disc in its full form!), and the Spanish variants of "Andante Andante" and "Happy New Year". Save for these, is there anything else from the Super Trouper era that might make an appearance?

Kenny, any thoughts?

8. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

In terms of what could be on the disc, there are 10 potential tracks available for inclusion.

Guaranteed:
    * Elaine (B-side of The Winner Takes It All)
    * Put On Your White Sombrero

Likely:
    * On and On and On (Long version)
    * Andante, Andante (Spanish version)
    * Felicidad (Spanish version of Happy New Year)

Possible:
    6. Me And I (Live)
    7. The Way All Friends Do (Original live performance)

Outside bet:
    8. Lay All Your Love On Me (Disconet 12" version)

Extremely unlikely:
    9. Hovas Vittne
    10. Tivedshambo

I am guessing that we'll get everything from the first two categories and nothing else. That said, I wouldn't bet against the Disconet version being there as Disconet releases have appeared on Universal Deluxe Editions in the past.

In terms of the DVD, the following would be the likeliest candidates:
    1. Words and Music
    2. On and On and On [Show Express]
    3. The Winner Takes It All [Show Express]
    4. Super Trouper [Show Express]
    5. Conciendome, Conociendote [Promo]
    6. Gracias Por La Musica [Promo]
    7. Happy New Year [SVT New Year's Eve special]

9. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

If they're going to treat the mastering the way the did with the deluxe edition of Voulez-Vous, which came out so well, then I don't give a toss about the dvd, just gimme a great sounding version of the original album! :goodie:

Richard

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Neither do I, but have the original CD mastering and it sounds very good, so it's not as if they had poor masterings in the past.

11. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

I love the Voulez-Vous deluxe edition, but may pass on this unless there are bonus tracks/some great stuff on the DVD.

The Super Trouper Atlantic CD is that good to my ears, and may just be the favorite of the four original pressings I own.

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I hope your outside bet comes true. That remix really improves this track tremendously.

13. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

The tape selection and mastering here will be interesting. A lot of us suspected that the Voulez-Vous deluxe used mixdown tapes, but in this case to retain the original applause between Lay All Your Love On Me and The Way Old Friends Do they would have to go back to the LP cutting tapes. Also I wonder about the fade out of applause at the end of The Way Old Friends Do. Most CD versions have the applause fading out very quickly, whereas the Atlantic CD version has the fade out taking around 15 seconds or so.

I'm guessing that they could do three things 1) Use the LP cutters for the two tracks in question at least, or god forbid the entire album 2) Use the mixdowns for all the tracks and create a new crossfade 3) Use the mixdown tapes and not to create a crossfade (1997 and 2001 remasters were like that)

Personally I would like to see that the applause between LAYLOM and TWOFD is retained, and having future remasters of ABBA Gold and More ABBA Gold having clean versions of these tracks sourced from the mixdown tapes.

We will see what will happen

(LOL I am such a nerd)

Rudolf

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Did the Deluxe edition of "Arrival" fare as well?

15. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

As far as I know, the mastering is the same as the one on the Complete Studio Recordings.

16. MarkPMus

MarkPMus New Member

No! But the DVD was good.

The original LP version of ST sounds so good that if Masters of Audio (I assume it will be they) make it sound exactly like that, no more or less, they will have done their job correctly.

17. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

If not in an audio version, maybe the "Hovas Vittne" video performance that is on YouTube (in very poor quality) will be on there.

Also, I would love to get the Disconet of LAYLOM, but not the original "Disconet" master, but one recreated from the master tape???

Also, I read in more than one ABBA chronology that back in 1980 or so Michael B. Tretow did extended mixes of four ABBA songs for possible release, but they weren't. Possibly one of them was LAYLOM.

18. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

One ABBA fan has recreated the Disconet extended version using the Polydor CD version. You can hear it here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OaSMND36O0

This is what CMP wrote about the Tretow extended versions -

"Did you get to hear the 1983 Michael Tretow remixes of Take A Chance On Me, The Visitors, On And On And On, and Lay All Your Love On Me (CRS page 113)?

Yes. They were okay for what they were — very 1983-ish, extended things — but didn't add anything to the originals. They certainly didn't make me want to get up and boogie."

http://www.carlmagnuspalm.com/abba/compilations-and-box-sets/thank-you-for-the-music/recordings-faq

Rudolf

19. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

I wish they'd do a 'Visitors' deluxe edition. My favourite Abba album by a mile.

There is a great live version of 'slipping through my fingers' on the thank you for the music box - in fact IIRC that's the only place to get it...

20. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

It'd be a hoot to have the early demo of The Winner Takes It All when it was still called The Story of My Life and Björn recorded an early draft of the lyrics... in French. Somehow, I cannot imagine that.

Of course, it could never happen... B&B would rather burn the tapes rather than let the world hear this! LOL!

Richard.

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

You realize that they're doing these Deluxe Editions on the timeline of 30th Anniverary reissues of the original album releases?

This particular reissue program got its start with 2004's 30th Anniversary Edition of WATERLOO issued in Europe and containing the original CD that included 5 bonus tracks and a DVD with four video performances. This particular DVD is in PAL format.

Since then, the three Deluxe Editions that followed were 2006's ARRIVAL, 2007's THE ALBUM, and 2010's VOULEZ VOUS. All three of those featured DVD's in the NTSC format and had more complete video performances, promotional material, etc.

The last one got them a bit off-schedule from the "30th Anniversary" standpoint, but it appears with the upcoming SUPER TROUPER that they're at least maintaining these at "31st Anniversary" levels.

Interpolating out, we should then expect to see THE VISITORS Deluxe Edition sometime in 2012.

Harry

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Based on the possibilities for bonus tracks, they should either cram as much as possible on the CD or include a second CD. Of course, we rarely get what we want with these deluxe editions.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

And if I remember correctly, these ABBA Deluxe Editions are all imports for those of us in the U.S. That makes them a bit pricey. I've been leery of them because I haven't been impressed with recent ABBA remasters, but I am intrigued based on the comments here about the Voulez-Vous Deluxe Edition.

24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yes, they've all been imports into the US. One of our members sold me the WATERLOO set and that started me on collecting these as they've come out.

I've enjoyed them more for the TV appearances than the actual music CDs. Since I wouldn't have had a chance to see these various TV programs from around the world, these DVD's give a snapshot of what it was like to be an ABBA fan back in their heydey.

Harry

25. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I think you are conflating two different things - there was an official French cover version of the Winner Takes It All recorded by some singer whose name escapes me produced by Bjorn and Benny. That is, of course, different to the demo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.