ABBA - Super Trouper Deluxe Edition coming May 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OberonOz, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

I bought the Super Trouper Deluxe when it came out and basically just gave the stereo version of On&On&On a spin before putting it on the shelf. Today I listened to the whole CD and though I was impressed with the level of bass what stood out as a sore spot was the lack of defined high end as well as compression on a few tracks. The lack of high end removes a lot of that sparkly air quality of Frida's voice. I must say I am disappointed in the deluxe version.

2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

The Deluxe Edition is the worst sounding version on CD !!!
    One more example that a good waveform only doesn't guarantee a good sound...

3. Barry Vaughan

Barry Vaughan Active Member

In your opinion. It's been the opinion of many of those who have posted in this thread over the last eighteen months, including myself and KennyG, that the exact opposite is true and that the DE is the best sounding version on CD.

4. sathvyre

Never !!! Listen carefully to the high middle and treble frequencies...it sounds like a conversion error...you may think what you want and I don't care if most of the listeners believe that the sound on the DE is the best, cause I have my own individual ears to listen and compare...even the original POLYDOR CD sounds superior (besides some drop outs etc.), compared to the DE...and as I told over and over again: It's not the waveform only that is important for a good sound on CD...I was very disappointed about the DE when it was released and I will listen to it never again (only for comparision reasons). This is just MY opinion !!!

5. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

All those dropouts on I Let The Music Speak on the Deluxe edition - WHAT were they thinking???

6. Barry Vaughan

Barry Vaughan Active Member

7. sathvyre

"I Let The Music Speak" is included on THE VISITORS, not on SUPER TROUPER ;)

8. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

Woops, sorry everyone. It's been a long day, I am very tired and not thinking properly :hide:

9. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

Going back on topic - I still prefer the 1987ish Atlantic CD over the Deluxe edition. I listened to the Atlantic CD the other day, pure bliss.

10. sathvyre

The ATLANTIC-CD sounds good so far - nice amount of brilliant trebles, some additional bass for more punch - but I always prefer the regular and not-remastered Polydor Version (the US Polydor 1995 CD without the drop-out in SUPER TROUPER).

11. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

I wonder about the USA Polydor (not the Atlantic) - Does this mean that they used the American LP cutting tape? Was it the same tape used on the Atlantic CD as well?

12. sathvyre

As Polydor USA used clones from the german Polydor CDs for most of the albums on their 1995 reissue series, I am sure they either restored the drop out or used a complete different master source, especially for that album only...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.