ABBA - Super Trouper Deluxe Edition coming May 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OberonOz, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Now - if someone would just take the same approach & the same amount of care - and put together a nice-sounding Abba compilation - they can delete all the rest of the junk out there.

Why do we need this when the landscape has been littered with comps over the years? For people like me. Honestly, I'm not tremendously interested in collecting all of their albums - but I would like a decent sounding comp - and there isn't one!

Dexter

2. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

Actually, the original CD versions of Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits Vol. 2 sound wonderful. Other tracks from after that era are available on a few different compilations (The Singles - The First Ten Years, for example), so it is possible to have a very good sounding compilation right now. You just need to hunt for them a bit.

3. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

There are actually several but you will have to combine them to get a career spanning compilation. The basic ingredients are:

* Greatest Hits (Atlantic)
    * Greatest Hits Vol 2 (Atlantic, Polar or Polydor)
    * The Singles: The First Ten Years (Polar or Polydor)

Just remember that Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits Vol 2 are superior to The Singles for the tracks that they contain. But you need The Singles for the later tracks. And then you can mix and match to your heart's content.

4. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

I don't think the older comps are THAT great, but they could be the best of what's out there for comps. GH v1 sounds like the UK vinyl of the same album to me. Was not blown away by v2 or The Singles. The first edition of Gold is by no means terrible, but again not great.

5. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Greatest Hits Vol 2 in its Atlantic and Polar forms is probably the finest Abba CD ever issued in terms of sound quality. The other two are competent but in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

6. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Wasn't planning on buying this, but if the improvement is that significant, I might just have to. :)

7. Hootenannysinger

Hootenannysinger Member

Is GH 2 made from mixdown or cutting tapes? I agree that it's good sounding.

8. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I suspect its cutting tapes because the Name of The Game appears in its full version - the mixdown tape was cut in 1978 for a US promo and wasn't restored until 1997.

In addition, the other track taken from Side A of Abba: The Album, Eagle, is also distorted in a similar fashion to 1984 CD which we definitely know came from cutting tapes.

9. newstarter11

newstarter11 Forum Resident

how about "take a chance on me"?

btw do u mind if we continue this discussion on this thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=6554012

10. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Okay. I have gone back and done another comparison sample. This time it's On and On and On and the volume has been levelled across all four masterings compared.

The sample is two choruses cut together and includes 15 seconds from each of:
    (i) Atlantic 1984
    (ii) Astley 2001
    (iii) CSR 2005
    (iv) Deluxe Edition 2011

The link is: http://www.2shared.com/file/qOpbdnTq/onandon.html

11. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

My vote's for the Atlantic.

12. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

The one thing that stood out for me was how poor the Astley 2001 remaster sounded once I'd brought it down to the same level as the others. I knew it was bad but never that it was that bad.

13. newstarter11

newstarter11 Forum Resident

2001 sucks hardcore. sounds like a thin car radio!

14. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

Does anyone have more reviews that they would like to share?

Rudolf

15. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Sure do, Rudolph...IT'S AMAZING!!!!

Never imagined in my wildest dreams Abba's best album could sound so good!

The dynamic range is a revelation: what had been previously lost to NR and the general noise created by badly applied compression is now revealed with the mixes yielding a host of meticulously recorded details, all taking their place in superb balance with everything else.

Ola's drumming thumps away defining what I believe Benny & Bjorn's original vision of what "Super Trouper" could have originally sounded like without the sonic limitations of vinyl. It's a huge sound, but now sounds perfectly integrated. The vocals are neither buried in noise nor shrieking from lousy remastering: they just sound amazingly real and live. You can crank this one up loud...real loud!

It blows every other digital Abba (and "Super Trouper") out of the water. As far as my criteria for perfect mastering goes, "Super Trouper" ticks all the boxes:

* Full dynamic range, with no crossover mixing noise
    * Expansive cloud above grand piano and acoustic bass
    * Synthesizers not pronounced but integrated
    * Full-voice vocals not gutted by NR
    * Percussion not jumping out from the mix

This is how it's done folks....:righton:

16. Hootenannysinger

Hootenannysinger Member

I hear you like it! :) Yeah, it is good. So what's the chance that they will remaster (again...) the earliar albums, in the same way? If they can sound just as good? Let's try to convince Universal :)

17. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

With the number of remasters and repackagings thus far I'd say there's a decent chance of them revisiting the earlier albums eventually.

Maybe there's a Complete Audiophile Studio Recordings Box set somewhere in the not too distant future. Perhaps a ABBA: The Audiophile Vinyls ;) set too.

I ordered this from Amazon UK earlier today, can't wait to hear this.

18. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Yes I sure do like it!

I'm quite happy with "Voulez-Vous" remaster, but it's time to purge the world of those rotten Astley messes and the the CSR box.

Since Universal & Polar are now listening to the ever-growing chorus of damnation for ridiculous noise in the name of remastering, it's a no-brainer for them to start promoting the next Abba reissue campaign: "Full Dynamic Range Remasters"!

Sorta like endlessly recycling the Elvis catalog lol with a new gimick every few years :)

19. Delius

Delius Well-Known Member

Before I bought the 2011 DE of Super Trouper, I had never been aware that:

A) The Winner Takes It All has an amazing bassline
    B) Frida's vocals on Andante, andante have so much "breath" in them that they get you drift away.
    C) Me and I is actually a very well-produced track.
    D) Happy New Year has a choir-like chorus.
    E) Lay all your love on me is a rythm-driven dance track with great beat.
    F) There a few high hat clashes in The Way Old Friends Do.
    G) For the first time after The First Ten Years, I could listen to On And On And On without cringing.

For all these reasons, I'd like to thank Polar and Jon Astley for the 2001 remasters, which were up until now the only available format of this album, and had me believing for 8 years now that Super Trouper is not as good an album as it actually is.

20. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

just a quick question was the mastering any good on Abba the album deluxe and Arrival?

21. Delius

Delius Well-Known Member

They're clones of the CRS 2005 mastering. Very loud and distorted and to make things worse, bad quality tapes had been used for The Album - so you get distortion on top of distorted material - Avoid!

22. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

well lets hope they get redone then!

23. dphilippov

dphilippov Forum Resident

Thank you. I was going to buy the DE of The Album. But I heard that the DE of Voulez-Vous has good sonics, is that true?

24. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Yeah Voulez-Vous sounds fine. We had a thread on it but it fizzled out with some degree of unpleasantness lol

25. Delius

Delius Well-Known Member

I hate admitting this, but the 2001 remaster of The Album is the best version you can have for casual listeling of the album as whole. Hopefully, one day we'll get a DE of The Album which will use the same tapes as Astley, without the dreadful NR and compression. Voulez-Vous DE on the other hand is the best possible representation of this album on cd. It could benefit from being a couple of db's quieter - still a very good mastering work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.