ABBA - The best sounding albums on vinyl ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, May 12, 2015.

1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

This would be very interesting !!!

2. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

Go for it. Sounds like the the US pressing (I have both) but the Canadian is my go-to version (my US pressing has seen better days) Plus the jacket is textured and it holds up better than the other versions when it comes to wear and tear... :)

marcfeld69 and sathvyre like this.
  3. sathvyre

Ordered :) Thank you very much for information !!!

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How do we know the new vinyl box is analogue?

5. sathvyre

I've read it in some announcements before the release.
    Trust your ears - I think it is the truth.
    By the way: Would be nice to see some waveforms of the download codes !!! Would be a surprise if they really digitized the LP cutting tapes...but I suspect they used the latest iTunes / Deluxe Editions remasters...but who knows ???

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I also have this but I don't think it's too hot at all. The problem I have the Atlantic records is that they are warped and Super Trouper is no exception, but it does sound nice.

7. sathvyre

Interesting thing about the warp issues on Atlantic pressings. I never had any warped one...

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

nor I

9. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

These are my favourite sounding pressings of Super Trouper in order, however, they are all very close to each other, in other words, none of them are really bad:

1st: Holland Pressing on Dark Blue Epic label
    2nd: UK (light blue) Epic A1/B6
    3rd: German Polydor
    4th: Japanese Discomate
    5th Canadian Atlantic
    6th: French Polydor
    7th: UK (light blue) Epic A4/B5

Bear in mind there is little difference between the 'best' and the 'worst' - interesting that the A4/B5 UK Epic is the least good sounding, whereas the UK A1/B6 pressing is a close 2nd...

Also bear in mind that it could vary for each track - for this test I played the title track from side one, and 'the piper' from side 2 in each case.

I used to have a south african press, but must have got rid when I had a purge - I originally had even more copies than the 7 above!

I'll see about doing a shoot-out with some of my other variations of Abba LPs...

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    marcfeld69 and sathvyre like this.
  10. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

I am kinda bummed that the latest vinyl boxset doesn't have the extra record with the non-album tracks, which makes me want to go for the 2010 release. Anyone knows, if those records are also 180gr. ? (Not that it matters for sound quality, just curious).

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Swedish Polar isn't in there because you don't think much of it or because you never heard it???

12. sathvyre

Very detailed information !!! Would be great to collect opinions for each album here, not only "Super Trouper".
    I prefer the Holland Polydor "Super Trouper" over the german pressing, cause it doesn't have the dropout in the title track.
    Yesterday I listened to my danish "Waterloo" first press again (the one with the two stickers on it). It has POLS 242 A / POLS 242 B matrixes (stamped) and looks like new. Side A sounds fantastic, but side b sounds like taken from a cassette source...anybody out there who has the same variation ? Is there another danish pressing with better sound ?

@fpas: The new box includes the albums in 180 g vinyl (if you can trust a buyer on Amazon who wrote a nice review).

13. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

I meant the older, 2010 release.

14. sathvyre

The 2010 box doesn't have 180 g vinyl, but a vinyl which represents theoriginal Polar pressings (maybe 140 g I think).

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have that box set and I thought that the manufacturing quality was pretty spotty - as I recall, there were a couple of discs in the set that were clearly heavier than the others (Arrival?). Discs were scuffed in places, jacket photos a bit grainy and that silver finish rubs off easily.

Is the new box better quality? If so, I might be tempted to sell the older box (which commands a bit of a premium here) and buy the new one

16. sathvyre

I really love that box. Except a slight off-cente-issue of "The Visitors", all other albums sounds fantastic.

17. JP Christian

I only own one swedish polar pressing of 'the album' - I think it's A3/B3 - from memory it's very detailed - so much in fact, you can really hear the tape hiss on 'hole in your soul'.

I will endeavour to do more shoot-outs tonight - perhaps work backward and do 'Voulez-Vous' next...

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. sathvyre

I have also the A3/B3 version of "The Album" and it still sounds great !!!

JP Christian likes this.
  19. JP Christian

Well my Holland 'Epic' (dark blue label) pressing (assume pressed for UK as it has a UK cover) is my winner, perhaps it uses the same stampers as your Holland Polydor?

I noticed last night I have quite a few French 'Vogue' pressings of various albums, including some compilations I assume are exclusive to France, and from memory they ain't bad. I also noticed last night I have an Australian 'the album' which is on RCA Victor!

20. sathvyre

What are the stampers for the Holland Epic LP ?

21. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I have the the second UK pressing of Super Trouper on Epic (the one made in England, not the first which I think was made in the Netherlands), EPC 10022, and the original French pressing on Vogue of Voulez Vous, LD 8537. Both sound really good to me, though the French one maybe just shades it. Neither has been played for years and I was pleasantly surprised how good they sound. Incidentally a reviewer on Discogs of Voulez Vous considered the French pressing the best of all, better than the UK or the Swedish Polar. I guess it depends on your ears...I would be willing to part with either of mine if any Abba fan wants to provide a more deserving home !

22. sathvyre

I ordered the french "Voulez-Vous" LD 8537 after I read the review on Discogs...I MUST listen to it :)

23. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Had a closer look at my UK Epic A1/B1 "Super Trouper" and it turns out to be made in Holland with the dark blue label.

A side: 01-10022-5A-1 UKLH
    B side: 01-10022-10B-1 UKLH

I've always thought it's probably the best sounding out of all my ABBA vinyl.

My UK Epic orange label A1/B1 "Voulez Vous" on the other hand, looks like a dynaflex record and is probably one of the lightest and thinnest pieces of vinyl I own, weighing in at a flimsy 97 grams. It sounds quite bright and is slightly lacking in bottom end, however it does make a great wobble board.

marcfeld69 and JP Christian like this.
  24. sathvyre

Next question: I am looking for a vinyl source for the US Remix of the track "Ring Ring". I know that it was included on the Atlantic "Waterloo" album as bonus, but is there any other release (maybe on 7") available, including that track ? Thank you very much.

25. JP Christian

I will check when I get home - possibly the same as the one tin ears has...