Abba - The Complete Studio Recordings (How Many Versions Are Available?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AudiophilePhil, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

I ordered an Abba - The Complete Studio Recordings Box Set for $179.00 but I am disappointed to receive a white thin box containing just the 8 original studio albums, 1 rarities CD and a Time line booklet.

For the price that I have paid, I am expecting the original blue box set which includes DVD's aside from the original remastered albums.

Are these one and the same mastering?

I wrote the box set vendor that I am returning it and requested to replace it with the original cube-shaped blue box (if it's still available).

Is there anyone in this forum where to order the original blue box?

Thanks,
    AudiophilePhil

2. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Universal in Denmark issued a scaled down version of the CSR box which is the one you got. Mastering is the same between the two.

3. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Yeah, there's only two to my knowledge.

$179 sounds like a lot for the white box, but not quite enough for the blue!

4. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Yeah, for the longest time the white box was going for $60 or $70 (maybe even less) at hmv.co.uk. Sorry.

5. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you.
    I have never opened the white box and I told the vendor that if they can't find the Blue Box in a short time, I will return it immediately for full refund including shipping charges.

6. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

I agree with other people in this forum.

$179.00 for this box set (the "white" one without the 2 DVDs) is a high price for sure! I bought it last year (www.cdon.com) and I'm sure I paid it about 50/55 Euros (surely less than 90 dollars, shipping included).

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I see it still listed at HMV Japan:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/1441229

The price seems a lot higher than what I paid while the set was still new. I bought it in Germany while on a trip over there, at a Saturn store in Munich for about 90 Euros, which at the time worked out to about $110 dollars.

This Japanese price looks like it would convert to the upper 100s of dollars depending on the exchange rate.

But that's the set I have - in the blue box.

Harry

8. ferdinandhudson

Yes, HMV Japan's price would be approximately $170 excl. shipping at current rates.

9. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

I guess how the dollar has continued to tank over the past year or two could also explain the price increase.

10. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

For the blue set $170 would be cheap for the UK price.

11. ABBAFANUSA

ABBAFANUSA Forum Resident

Well, if you can wait a couple months, Universal Music is raping the ABBA catalog once again in the name of "Money Money Money" thanks to the success of the Mamma Mia! Movie and they are releasing a brand new Box Set containing all 8 studio albums (as they were) and a bonus disc containing all the B-sides and one off singles.

http://www.abbasite.com/news/index.php?id=1654

Instead of giving the fans more CD deluxe versions or the proposed LIVE album, they rehash the same thing over and over and over again. How many times do the same 8 studio albums need to released?

12. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

yes it is just as bad. I bought this becasue I read on here that the mastering was good. Boy was I wrong. At least I got most of my money back for it when I sold it.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You read HERE that the mastering was good? I sincerely doubt that...

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's only a few Abba CDs and LPs that sound GOOD... I only know of a few: Atlantic LPs and the Atlantic CD of Greatest Hits?

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's about the size of it.

16. ferdinandhudson

I've read a few posts where people have spoken well about them or at least favourably over the Astley ones.

17. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Shooting the moon for a good Abba record/CD is mostly a miss. Mostly it's poor balanced, toppy and hard....

18. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Isn't that exactly the same as the box set w/o the DVD?

19. ferdinandhudson

No, the bonus tracks on each of albums have been removed.

20. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

...and now make the content of the bonus disc.

*Bescheuert*, as we would say in Germany :shake:

21. ferdinandhudson

And, as far as I can tell, ditches the tracks from the existing CSR bonus disc.

22. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Other than Greatest Hits & Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 (which I have)...what other titles did Atlantic do? Do they have the same good sound as GH? Hard to find?

Dexter

23. ABBAFANUSA

ABBAFANUSA Forum Resident

Atlantic also issued 'Super Trouper' in the US and 'The Visitors' & 'The Singles' in Canada.

24. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Do they sound as good as the Greatest Hits releases (mine are WG "targets").

Dexter

25. narkspud

narkspud Forum Resident

The Atlantic Super Trouper is just a bit mid-bass-heavy to my ears, kind of tubby-sounding. Most tracks come out thumpy - a good thing on "On and On and On", but not so much on the title cut. YMMV - I know a lot of folks on this board swear by this CD.

I personally like most of the old German Polydors (which were also issued briefly in the US with catalog numbers of 4228* ****-2). The first two albums are from muggy-sounding tapes, but the others are good to excellent. Some dropout issues here and there, and The Album has the usual deficiencies. The Visitors is the same mastering as the target, IIRC.

My opinion, which is not shared by many (one of the many apparently being Steve), is that the German Polydors top the Targets on most tracks, by virtue of being from better source tapes.

Then there are the original Swedish editions of the first 3 LPs (Catalog numbers POLCD-4*2) - apparently straight off the Swedish tapes with little to no futzing. There are some technical issues with a few tracks on the first two (audible 1K tones in the background, apparently dirty playback heads, that sort of thing), but the clean cuts trounce all takers, and the Polar S/T is by far the best sounding ABBA ever committed to digital. Grab your favorite Swedish-to-English translator site and head to www.tradera.com ... and keep your fingers crossed. I scored all three of 'em for $45, shipped.

I am told that the rest of the early Polars are clones of the German Polydors, but have no first-hand knowledge of this.

Nice masterings of many of the non-album cuts can be found on a couple of German imports - ABBA International and From ABBA With Love. They can get pricey.

FWIW, I'm not impressed with my German copy of The Singles. There are a few nice sounding cuts on disc 2 (it's the best source for "Under Attack" IMHO), but the mastering on the rest is either lifeless or overly-bright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.