ABBA - The Singles The First 10 Years Poll. Pick Your Favourites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Surprised Fernando didn’t do better. One of my favourite ABBA songs and a huge hit in the UK.

Jarleboy and bob60 like this.
  2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

When growing up my sister loved ABBA. Listening to her albums I learned to love them to. Great band of the best 70s bands period. I picked:
    Dancing Queen
    Knowing Me Knowing You
    Does Your Mother Know
    The Winner Takes It All
    Super Trooper
    Awesome songs, one and all.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Found a sealed version of this today. You would be right! Fantastic quality

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Congratulations!

5. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I will try to find a good copy of this collection on either CD or vinyl. I think the song selection is close to perfect for a double album. Love the 2 new songs.

Marble Index and John Adam like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

There are plenty of the original Polydor ‘Fatboy’ CDs around. Last time I looked they weren’t too highly priced either. It’s a great sounding comp, IMO. As are the original GH (park bench) and GHV2 CDs.

andy75 likes this.
  7. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

I loved Abba's singles, and voted for all here except: I Do (too Euro-schlager); Chiquitita (third-rate Fernando ; should've let Brotherhood Of Man have it.); I Have A Dream (stodgier than a packet of suet). Favourite 45? A toss up between SOS and One Of Us.

8. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Thank you. I will hunt one down.

I need an early CD pressing of The Visitors to. Have only the deluxe with extra tracks and a DVD, bt was never too keen on how it sounds. Love the content and the beautiful booklet.

Marble Index likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

An early copy of The Visitors should be easy to find.

Marble Index and andy75 like this.
  10. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Yes, the early Abba CD pressings turns up in the used bins quite often here in Abba-land.

Marble Index and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

I have NEVER seen an ABBA CD in the used CD bins here in Norway. :confused:

Larsen likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Aside from ABBA Gold, I haven’t here either. Plenty of vinyl though.

I should add that I live in a crappy area for second hand shops and things.

Marble Index likes this.
  13. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Yeah... I think that's in fact what I was doing ... several times ...
    And it could happen again . :agree:

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

bought this as an lp on a trip to the UK, I loved the track listing...it had pretty much all my faves.
    I also think this is their best comp, I think they broke up at the right time...the last 2 tracks IMO are losing a bit of spark...they're ok, but not as good as their classics.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

My first ABBA comp (or any album by them) was a cassette called "The Must of ABBA". I was in London during Christmas 1985, and wanted a copy of "The Singles", but the only comp I could find at HMV was "The Must". Summer of '86, I upgraded to CDs and found a copy of "Singles" in a German store. I eventually traded my cassette of "Must" but not before I made my own 90 min. cassette comp with the running order of "Must" (which I really liked) and added tracks from "The Singles" that were not on it.

"The Must of ABBA"
    Fernando
    Money, Money, Money
    Voulez Vous
    I Have A Dream
    Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
    Waterloo
    The Name Of The Game
    I Do I Do I Do
    Chiquitita
    Ring Ring
    Dancing Queen
    Honey Honey
    Take A Chance on Me
    Knowing You Knowing Me
    Does Your Mother Know
    Super Trouper
    The Winner Takes It All

I added these to fill up the remainder of the 90 minutes:
    SOS
    Mama Mia
    One Of Us
    Under Attack
    When All Is Said And Done
    Thank You For The Music
    The Day Before You Came

I've played this cassette way more than anything else I own by them, CD/vinyl or cassette.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

I like almost everything on this album. ABBA Gold doesn't have a bad track (One of Us veers towards average, if any), so the weaknesses here are the songs that aren't on that, save for Summer Night City, which I feel is the underrated single in ABBA's catalogue, and Ring Ring, which is a bit cheesy but still one I like.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Waterloo
    SOS
    Knowing Me, Knowing You
    The Name Of The Game
    Take A Chance On Me
    Does You Mother Know
    Voulez Vous
    The Winner Takes It All
    Gimmee Gimmee Gimme
    Super Trouper
    One Of Us
    Under Attack

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

I always found it strange that there's so little ABBA in the second hand shops. I do see some LP's from time to time (over priced, of course). I did pick up a 12" Atlantic Records promo of "The Visitors" b/w "When All is Said and Done" in my home city some time ago. At approximately the same running time, I would easily preferred "The Visitors" to "Chiquitita" on this comp.

Marble Index and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any ABBA studio albums on CD in charity shops here in the UK either. If I do see an ABBA CD, it’ll be one of the Gold ones. Vinyl, on the other hand, is relatively common. Arrival through to The Visitors (including the GH comps) especially.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

I remember a review of this when it first came out that was in Playboy magazine I believe. It said the "if the Jetsons had a greatest hits album, this is what it would sound like". Still don't know if that was meant to be a compliment or an insult.

pantofis and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I used Tradera.se to get my original Swedish ABBA CDs - they’re pretty affordable there. You can even bid on all the “Nordic Countries Only” listings which I can’t!

Marble Index and Jarleboy like this.
  22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Voted for almost every one. ABBA were an awesome singles band

As for the cover it's okay but for some reason I prefer the Australian best of [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pantofis, Jarleboy and Record Rotator like this.
  23. Level I:
    Waterloo
    Dancing Queen
    Knowing Me Knowing You
    Take A Chance On Me
    SOS

Level II:
    The Name Of The Game
    Fernando
    The Winner Takes It All

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

This was my first (and only) ABBA cd. Every song on this comp is great!
    I was going to college in San Francisco in the early/mid eighties and I bought it at a record store in the Castro called Butch Wax (which was where we bought a lot of 12" dance singles). If I recall correctly, I had just received my student loan check and the first thing I did was go to the record store and spend about $100 on import cds. I was also a little disappointed it didn't include The Visitors or Lay All Your Love On Me since both of those were in regular rotation at Sunday night Tea Dance at the I-Beam on Haight Street.

Carlox and Jarleboy like this.
  25. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Bought the LP album when it was released, even though I already had several Abba albums (and singles!) at that point. Also, it was one of my first CDs. I still think it's a very strong comp, but it does have a few remarkable omissions.

I understand the reasoning for not including Lay all your love on me - it was released only as a 12 inch single in Holland, backed with On and on and one, and therefore didn't make the official charts. As for Angel eyes, I don't miss it here. While a great song, it was definitely presented as the B-side of Voulez-vous over here in Holland. My Dutch vinyl single states that officially it's a bouble A side, but it's Voules-vous that got the most airplay by far. Also, it was the only title listed in the charts for that single. So I never regarded Angel eyes as an official single

But what's really missing here is my one time favourite Abba song - Eagle! I never understood why. I was a proper top 10 hit in most European countries, I believe, even though the single was an edited version. Also, Head over heels should have been on it, though it wasn't a very big chart hit. But I like it for its quirkiness. Otherwise it's near perfect, both for sequence as a double album as for sound quality - both on LP and CD.

And yes, I do like the album art as well, including the inners. One of the best Abba covers - not that that is saying much :)

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.