ABBA: The Studio Albums (8 vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by footstomper, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident Thread Starter

Toby Latimer likes this.
  2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Another vinyl albums box set ??? Well, the 2000 box was very good done, why do they release another one ??? ABBA albums are available for very low prices in great condition...maybe they get it right this time to use flawless tapes for "The Album" side A tracks and, of course, the flawless "The Visitors" master...
    If anybody will buy it, it would be great to know more about the sound quality, especially for the two albums I mentioned. Thank you very much.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  3. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

After the 2010 box and then the 2011 individual re-issues... is this really necessary? It's getting ridiculous!

4. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

According to the newsletter I've just received from Diverse Vinyl, they are from the analogue tapes.

http://www.diversevinyl.com/item.php?id=11bc421ca416f0e54a3d4705ec083929

5. For people who want a perfect and clean set why not? Sure there are good coupies around but many are beat up. I say all the better getting these catalogues out on the (virtual) shelves again. It doesn't mean someone who bought the last set needs to buy it again.

chacha likes this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

This will be interesting to hear from people how these sound. I have way too much ABBA as it is so I won't be getting these but hope others do. I wonder what mastering choices will be made as most of the original Polar copies I have are really tough to listen to compared to the American EQ.

7. sathvyre

I really enjoy most of the german Polydors (and for "Super Trouper" the Austria pressing without the dropout in the title track). The first two albums sound nice on the swedish Polar LPs (and include the swedish language tracks), but also the german pressings are really nice.
    I had tons of ABBA records in my life, most swedish Polar LPs sounded dull and lifeless, compared to the german pressings. The Polar ABBA (1975) album has so much distortion, it is unlistenable for me. The US pressings of the albums sound great, but also a bit distorted on the last tracks of each side.
    Of course, everybody has the option to buy a new set or not - but I really see no reason to sell another box set...

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I've been buying the 2011 individuals for a few years now, they can be had for cheap, nice German presses, most likely just represses

9. I received my set from Amazon.it for around 95 Euros. Didn't have any ABBA on vinyl yet. All I have for comparison are the old CD's (WG Polydor, US Atlantic, Swedish Polar). I did some brief comparisons for most of the albums with what I consider the best CD version. First Impression is very good, the newer albums sound a tad less bright on the new vinyl releases and have better soundstage, a nicer midrange and overall a smoother, more 3D like sound. Definitely an upgrade over the CD versions.

The pressings also seem to be quite nice.

10. Did record some songs, and the frequencies go up to around 30 kHz, so definitely a higher quality source. I actually did record side 1 of "The Album", so if people want to check out whether this is from a tape without the known problems, please let me know what to listen for, or if you want me to upload a certain segment/clip (like a minute or two), just let me know which part.

11. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

what records have it for £89.99:

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/63388.htm

I have almost mint UK originals of these and mint Japanese Discomate copies so I technically don't need it, but if they are good pressings and analogue-sourced, then it would be a really nice set to have!

12. By the way, I compared "Super Trouper" from this new vinyl set to the US Atlantic CD. There is some echo/reverb on the CD which is not on the new vinyl. I like the new vinyl better.

13. sathvyre

Would be interesting if The Name Of The Game has the distortion (as on all previous vinyl editions). Maybe you could upload a file including a refrain from that track ?

14. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

If they are using the compiled album master then I guess it will be, however, I think 'distortion' is a bit strong, what you are hearing there is a 'glassy-ness' caused by a compressor/limiter - it isn't actually tape distortion. An yes, the single version and the version they used on the UK Reader's Digest box set doesn't suffer from this.

15. sathvyre

Yes, I recognized that it is no tape distortion, but caused by a limiter / compressor. I always enjoy the Reader's Digest version of TNOTG.

16. Hootenannysinger

Hootenannysinger Member

What about The Visitors? Is it from the same DDR-market tape that was used on the Visitors DE and the previous Vinyl collection? (Switched channels and a different version of Head over Heels).
    To bad they had to remaster it, which I guess means digital. In that case they could have released it on cd with the same DR.

17. sathvyre

The Visitors LP has never been released in DDR. There was a 4 song 7" E.P. including the different "Head Over Heels" version.
    The only DDR ABBA Album releases were "Waterloo" and "Arrival" with different cover artworks and slightly altered tracklist.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have the 2010 (?) box with the shiny silver cover. It wasn't the best quality - they used different vinyl weights, and many of the disks has fine scratches. I wouldn't mind an upgrade if the new box uses all analog tapes.

The 2010 box had a booklet and a bonus disc of non-album cuts. Are these missing from the new box?

19. sathvyre

Any news about "The Album" and the sound quality of Side A tracks ? Maybe they used a new compiled master (as for the iTunes version) without the distortion ?

20. sathvyre

21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have the 2011 re-issue lp (German press), what song in particular?

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I believe the 2011 individual Back to Black titles are from analogue tape. They certainly sound so. I'm sure this box is in effect a repress. This also doesn't include the Abba tracks (only 8 discs) that came with the 2010 box.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    c-eling likes this.
  23. sathvyre

The 2011 versions should the same as on the "Vinyl Collection" box set, taken from the original LP cutting tapes.
    If they use the masters for 6 of the regular albums from the old box set and take the right one for "Visitors" this time and, last but not least, compile a new side a master for the "Album", it would be perfect for the first time....

24. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident Thread Starter

The set contains ABBA’s eight studio albums, originally released 1973–1981: Ring Ring, Waterloo, ABBA, Arrival, ABBA: The Album, Voulez Vous, Super Trouper and The Visitors. The box set also contains a bonus album, entitled ABBA Tracks, the A-side of which contains the five single A-sides not included on the original studio albums. The B-side of ABBA Tracks features a further five non-album songs, personally selected by ABBA's Benny Andersson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.