Abba - Voulez-Vous Deluxe Edition due soon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KennyG, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident Thread Starter

Universal Music have confirmed the release of the Deluxe Edition of Abba's 1979 album Voulez-Vous later this Spring.

No details are available as yet apart from the fact that it will follow the format of previous Abba deluxe packages and feature a DVD of television performances. The smart money is on Abba In Switzerland being included in some form.

There also appears to be a Super Trouper Deluxe Edition in the works but there is no word on the scheduling or its contents. I'd expect it to be issued in November at the absolute earliest - that's the album's 30th anniversary.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:confused: What other Abba albums have received Deluxe editions?

3. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Arrival & The Album

4. KennyG

And Waterloo after a fashion. They skipped Abba for some reason.

5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I believe only Arrival & The Album releases were officially called Deluxe Editions however...

6. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I guess I missed those. Are they import only?

So record companies still make cd's, eh?

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Universal does not provide ABBA fans in the US with anything in the way of deluxe editions. Heck, they've still not released any of the remastered versions of GOLD!

I have the ARRIVAL and THE ALBUM deluxe editions, along with a special WATERLOO edition. All have DVD's of video performances, and I had to order ALL of them from overseas.

Harry

8. tages

tages Senior Member

I LOVE those deluxe editions - got all three. Unfortunately, they skipped what is probably my favourite ABBA album ("ABBA"). It's a shame because there is a lot of great footage from 1975 that would've been great to put together.

Looking forward to Voulez-Vous!

9. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

Very cool!

I can't help but wonder if there are any of the gems that are still in the can (ie - "Just A Notion", and/or "In The Arms of Rosalita") that might see the light of day on this set as a bonus issue.

Any word as to whether they'll be using Henrik Jonsson's mastering, or if this will be a new master?

10. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

I think that it's safe to say that after the "Thank You For The Music" 4-CD set that Bjorn & Benny will never permit any further unreleased studio material to be released. They still have veto power, even though the group sold Polar Music to Universal Music.

11. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I'd be interested for the bonus DVD as this was one of their best albums.

12. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Cool, looking forward to both of them. I wouldn't mind if "ABBA" received the treatment as well even if it is after the fact. My very first ABBA experience and always rate it high.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

When I saw the title, I thought "are they finally letting stuff out of the vault?" But, nope, just more video...I guess that's all we'll EVER get...They don't need the money, and they don't want it out, so that's it...

14. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Are they in PAL format?

15. Keith Moon

Keith Moon Active Member

Wonder why they skipped over the self titled... it may be my favorite.

All the same this is exciting news. ABBA is awesome!

16. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

The DVDs are usually NTSC even in territories where PAL is the norm so you should be fine pre-ordering it/them as soon as they get listed.

17. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Actually, I sometimes see them here at HMV, but they're a bit pricey.

18. KennyG

It will be Jonsson again. In terms of unreleased material, there is a pile of early mixes of Voulez-Vous stuff which should be appearing on the DVD.

19. tages

tages Senior Member

Only "Waterloo" had a PAL DVD - the other two are NTSC.

20. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Correction.... they did not skip the "Abba" (Limousine photo) album in a deluxe edition.....It had a second disk DVD, packaged just like the "Waterloo" CD/DVD release, but it had only three videos on it....not much of a deluxe edition. That s why I skipped over it.

I hope that the "Voulez Vous" DE has the alternate rock mix of "Does Your Mother Know" and the first mix (no strings and less vocal overdubs) of "If It Wasn't For The Nights" that the group lipsync'd to during early TV promo appearances just before the album was released - the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQqbljOc1NA

21. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

Arrival was also released in that fashion as a "Sound and Vision" set.

Arrival Deluxe - http://www.abba4therecord.com/detail.php?recordID=1142

ABBA Sound and Vision - http://getabba.com/collection/cds/cd_ABBA_official.htm (Scroll to CD No. 3)

Arrival Sound and Vision - http://getabba.com/collection/cds/cd_arrival_official.htm (Scroll to CD No. 4)

I would hardly call the Sound and Vision sets Deluxe versions.

Rudolf

22. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

ABBA's Sound+Vision releases were technically not Deluxe Editions. Except for Waterloo (which had a DVD containing previously unreleased video material unlike other Sound+Vision releases). I understand that in Sweden Waterloo Sound+Vision also was released in a digipak (like later Deluxe Editions of Arrival & The Album)...

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Correct. And the PAL DVD in the WATERLOO set plays fine on my PC.

Harry

24. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

This is one instance where I wish they ditched the DVD and go for a second disc of rarities. Like the early version of Does Your Mother Know with the women on lead vocals or one of the many mixes of Summer Night City or the early version of Chiquitita with alternate lyrics and solo parts by Frida or the full length version of Just A Notion that was going to be on the Thank You For The Music box set but then ultimately nixed. Then, of course, they could put Agnetha's I'm Still Alive from the 1979 tour and... well, while they're at it, maybe a 3rd disc with highlights of the Wembley shows.

OK, I'm delusional. It's not gonna happen. Of course I'm going to be really annoyed when and if they do a deluxe issue of The Visitors and they don't include the full length version of When All Is Said And Done with the edited verse or the full band version of Like An Angel Passing Through My Room...

Anyway...

Richard

25. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

:laugh: but at least you know it and can get prepared for it! You can then be REALLY annoyed cos youve had time to work up a head of steam hehe
    Seriously though, I wish these Deluxe Editions would include some/all of the stuff you are talking about. I wish Bjorn and Benny would understand the desire to see some of this stuff. Particularly stuff that has either been released in some form officially already, or even just to beat the bootleggers at the currently unofficial stuff. Oh well. Like you said, never gonna happen. So we both can be really peeved when it doesnt! hehe

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.