Abba - Voulez-Vous Deluxe Edition due soon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KennyG, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Great album indeed !!!
    But very sad that "Summer Night City" and "Gimme Gimme Gimme" were not part of the original album...because the LP has an overall disco feeling except "I Have A Dream" and "Chiquitita"...just kick both tracks and include the two non-LP-tracks and you have a great disco album I think.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Are the Mastered for Itunes the Deluxe Editions?

3. sathvyre

The Mastered for iTunes are the same for the following Deluxe Editions and sound nice:
    - Ring Ring
    - Waterloo
    - ABBA
    - Voulez-Vous
    - Super Trouper
    - The Visitors

The remaining albums "Arrival" and "The Album" are different and such much better, compared to the brickwalled Deluxe Editions.

lbangs, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I only have the 2000's onwards CDs of 'Arrival'. It's nice to know the iTunes version is an improvement. I'll go for it now.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. sathvyre

Sure, it's worth a purchase on iTunes. Same for "the Album". The iTunes version has a non-distorted "The Name Of The Game".

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

I have to say that I've always liked the sound of the Deluxe Edition. They did a really nice job with it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I do see what you mean, and I agree that that would make it a 100% disco album. I like... No, make that I LOVE the two tracks in question, as they are superb ABBA high energy tracks. However, I think the sequencing of the tracks on "Voulez-Vous" is excellent. I have never been all that found of "I Have a Dream", though I love the intro, but the inclusion of two ballads helps the overall listening experience immensely, I think. I can never get tired of uptempo ABBA songs, but it has a good effect when they slow down the tempo twice over the length of an album.

On the other hand - if I were a DJ, I would see the point you make and probably adhere to it. After all, the two bonus tracks are classic dance tracks. At least in my head.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Is the WG CD of Voulez-Vous worth picking up? On other (closed) threads, it mentions the channels are reversed...

I'm happy with the DE, but just wanted to know if the original is 'better'.

11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Best Voulez-Vous I've got is a vinyl direct metal master 180 gram disc, but the German Polydor CD which oddly the CD says on it Made In France but the cover says made in Germany sounds pretty good FWIW.

johnaltman and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

Why oh why won't they just remaster ABBAs catalogue properly and let us have a properly done boxed set on CD or even Blu Ray. Too much emphasis on vinyl recently.

anduandi and Jarleboy like this.
  13. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It sounds fine to me. The channels might be reversed compared to the Greatest Hits Vol. 2 disc but the channels are correct on the Voulez-Vous Polydor disc, iirc.

Bobby Morrow and c-eling like this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The West German POLCD 292 Silver YH (#04 on the hub) the channels are at least correct. Earlier pressings may be incorrect.
    This mastering is also carried onto the US 1995 'Blue Face'
    84.3/81.2/51.8

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

While you're both here,:) What's the best CD of Super Trouper?

All the threads relating to it seem to have been closed.

16. c-eling

(Unfortunately these seem to be kinda of rare) Bobby The US Atlantic seems to get praise. It easily bests my WG #04. I lucked out on one last year for dirt cheap after checking ebay everyday for 4 months. Mastered by Zal Schreiber at Atlantic Studios.
    He pops in here on occasion

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    D.B. and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I second the Atlantic. The Polydor has a big dropout in the title track.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Yes, I keep reading about the drop-out. Alas, the Atlantic seems quite hard to find...

19. Bobby Morrow

What do you think of the Deluxe Edition? It seems quite well thought of on here.

20. c-eling

I bought it for the bonus stuff :winkgrin:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

AMEN. I´d buy it - at least once.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  22. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

I managed to get two copies from Amazon's Marketplace. For less than 10 bucks. Sometimes the sellers bother to include a detail or two about which edition they're selling. In my case I asked them about the label and when they said Atlantic I clicked on the buy button.

My favorite ABBA album and my favorite sounding version. I don't need no stinkin' reissues no more. This is it for me.

Anyhoo dig around Amazon I'm sure there's gotta be one in there.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Ah, this is the cue to brag about my Super Trouper Polydor Red Face #01 :D

… but as far as I can hear it sounds the same as my Polydor Silver Face #04+. I never heard the Atlantic, so I can't comment on it being different.

I'm not a fan of any remaster on CD. Every remaster I heard sounded loud and compressed. Lucky for me I always kept my original WG discs.

c-eling and Bobby Morrow like this.
  24. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

that's the one I just bought.. It says manufactured in WG on the back but says Made in France on the disc. Is there a difference between made and manufactured?

Marble Index likes this.
  25. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

I'd also recommend the pre-remaster US only CD release. It is a cream-faced CD with black type. Similar mastering to the original Polydor CD, but it lacks any dropout on the title track. Last time I checked, it was pretty affordable. I think I got mine for around $10. A nice alternative to the costly Atlantic CD.

c-eling and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.