Abba - Voulez-Vous. Is it an underrated album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Most of those number ones were worthy adversaries. The Lena Martell song holding back Gimme Gimme Gimme is plain wrong though.

Jarleboy, Colocally and mBen989 like this.
  2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I still think it's crazy that the 2012 Deluxe remaster of The Visitors is pretty well mastered but all the other albums in that series of remasters still suck. It's like they got the memo before re-re-re-releasing the last two albums. Yeesh.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Some very respectable No. 1 songs there - but "One Day At a Time" by Lena Martell?!??!?

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

[Insert appropriate Pink Floyd meme here]

GoodKitty and Jarleboy like this.
  5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Jarleboy, bob60 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I saw this one, but passed cuz I wanna use it elsewhere.

Jarleboy and mBen989 like this.
  7. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

And he’s not the only one. IMHO it’s a great song (too). Great album ender to me.

8. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

As good as new/Kisses of fire are 2 unknown powerful tracks. Apparently, they are included in the forthcoming mamma mia 2 film.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

I love this album! If it wasn’t for the nights I’d in my top 10 Abba sounds. Speaking of charity shops, ironically VV is the only one I ever saw in one, a West German silver Polydor for £1. I bought it anyway, seemed wrong not to! I have donated a few Polydors to charity shops too. I have bought all their albums countless times over all formats, just want a Blu Ray audio box set now!

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

I bought all the WG Polydors back in the day only to get rid of them when the (many) remasters surfaced. I’ve since bought them all back again.:D

A Blu Ray Audio box would be amazing. However, isn’t that format all but dead now?

Jarleboy and jamiesjamies like this.
  11. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

Hi Bobby yeah I think so. The thing is I have recently got rid of all my CDs. Vinyl went years ago. It was hard doing it but also freeing, they just didn’t get played and I value an uncluttered life. The Blu Ray box thing though, or even a properly mastered CD box (the 2005 one but better) would serve as a kind of tribute to my all time favourite band. You and I have similar musical tastes, and, though I was born in 1980, Abba are my Elvis. Everything and everyone that came after starts with them!

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

In a way the music is just like the life the lyrics describe:evil:

Mine too:uhhuh:

Jarleboy and kiefer2 like this.
  13. Yost

You should probably also skip Kraftwerk... :winkgrin:

D.B., Larsen, GoodKitty and 1 other person like this.
  14. Yost

Nice video! I like the guitar riff as an intro, but it doesn't work for me in the middle of the song. Interesting to see they played unfinished songs during TV performances. I think it's playbacked, because if it's live the girls are really nailing the background vocals. But the all the vocals basically sound like on the released track, although some parts of the final vocal mix seem to be missing.

John Adam likes this.
  15. Yost

I bought some early Polydors (The Album, Voulez-Vous, Super Trouper, The Visitors) and bought some remasters (Arrival, The Album, Voulez-Vous) later. Luckily I kept the early ones, because I immediately didn't like the remasters. I bought the rest of the albums as early Polydors too, except for Waterloo, which is a Spectrum Music release, and Greatest Hits which I have on Atlantic (Made by Sanyo). Still missing Ring Ring, though.

Let's hope the special project of @Steve Hoffman is new releases from the original analog tapes for all ABBA albums. :love:

16. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

too late, love some of kraftwerk

D.B. and Yost like this.
  17. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

To me, "VOULEZ VOUS"is THE ABBA album. It doesn´t necessarily have the best songs, but it flows liek no other ABBA album.It even seems to have a theme - the grubbier side of love - sensuality. Most of the songs deal with love in the sense of lust - which just makes the stand out song "I HAVE A DREAM" stand out even more. And not in a good way.

I love "AS GOOD AS NEW" and the title track, and "THE KING HAS LOST HIS CROWN" is a minor song performed extremely well. "DOES YOUR MOTHER KNOW", "CHIQUITITA" and "KISSES OF FIRE" are pure class in my book. (Even though the latter songs add the curio "at the point of no returning" to the English language".) "KISSES OF FIRE" has a middle section after the first chorus, I think, which is just surreal in its perfection. "IF IT WASN´T FOR THE NIGHT" starts out well, but lasts for far too long. "LOVERS (LIVE A LITTLE LONGER)"was a song I dismissed for years, but I see its quirky charm.

And I love the album because it appeared in 1979, just weeks after... Well, I´ve shared that before. Suffice to say - I love the album.

18. Jarleboy

Of course I am. I´ve got taste. Maybe terribe taste, but still taste.

Seriously, I consider it one of ther best tracks. Full stop.

19. Jarleboy

You´ve got GREAT taste! :righton:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Nice to see you here. I knew you’d turn up eventually.:D

John Adam and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Jarleboy

Wild horses couldn´t keep me away! I have been a bit under the weather for a while now, so I have actually not been close to computer at all for about a week. So I was blissfully unaware that ABBA were being discussed again. And seeing that VV is a fave, I had to dip in with my two bit opinion.

Lovely to have someone generate so many discussions that I find interesting. :wave:

fsutall and John Adam like this.
  22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Absolutely.
    It's a tie between this and Arrival for favourite ABBA-album.
    I like it better than the somewhat unfocused The Album and the overly polished Super Trouper, which surrounded it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

I saw you hadn’t been here since Thursday. Hope you’re on the mend now.

John Adam and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Jarleboy

Seeing the doctor tomorrow. Think and hope so. :righton:

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What? "Voulez Vouz" is "ABBA"? What would that make "Arrival"? "The Album"? Why shouldn't albums have secret identities and double lives too:biglaugh:

I realise that this post probably doesn't make especially much sense but I couldn't resist.

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.