Abbey Road DVD-A News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuyDon, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member Thread Starter

From highfidelityreview.com:

The Beatles: ‘Abbey Road’ DVD-Audio News

A release of the Beatles’ catalogue on DVD-Audio has been the subject of much speculation and rumour in recent weeks, some of it sparked by a March 11th article by Kevin Elliott on the AudioWorld web site in which he broadly hints that engineer Elliot Scheiner (Grammy® award-winning producer and Surround Pioneer Award-winner) was soon to begin work on a surround re-mix of ‘Abbey Road’.

Obviously this would be hugely important news for high-resolution audio aficionados and would be another album sure to bring DVD-Audio closer to the general music buying public. High Fidelity Review readers and SMR Forums regulars such as John Serra asked if we could shed more light on the subject, but we held off publishing the rumours until we could get to the bottom of the story.

‘Abbey Road’, produced by George Martin (back in a fully hands-on role) and engineered by Geoff Emerick and Phillip McDonald, was originally released on October 1st 1969. Although the Beatles’ penultimate studio album, it remains their best-selling as it features the likes of ‘Something’, ‘Here Comes the Sun’ (both Harrison), ‘Octopus’s Garden’ (Starr), ‘Come Together’ (Lennon), ‘You Never Give Me Your Money’ and ‘Maxwell’s Silver Hammer’, (both McCartney). ‘Abbey Road’ is considered by many to be the finest rock album ever produced and remains incredibly popular to this day.

There is no better source of information than the individual named in a rumour so I asked Elliot Scheiner himself whether there was anything to all the gossip and speculation. Elliot’s response (after suggesting that ‘Abbey Road’ was a great idea and asking if I had any influence I could bring to bear) was a little disappointing: “…there were some discussions but that’s all it is at this point.”

After a little more probing, Elliot confirmed that the discussions were related to the idea of putting “…the music in 5.1”. Elliot did not comment as to the particular format, if any, under discussion.

I also asked Elliot whether he would expect any of the production team originally involved in the creation of the Beatles’ albums to be involved in the process. Elliot replied: “I can’t imagine any surround mix being done on a Beatles record without the involvement of Geoff Emerick.” Elliot expressed some surprise that to the best of his knowledge the multi-channel sound mixes available on the recently released DVD of ‘The Beatles Anthology’ did not involve Geoff.

So that’s all we know for now. We will keep you up to date as and when we learn anything more on this subject.

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

What about SACD? A dual release, perhaps?

As for this album remaining eternally popular, a local book shop here that also sells CD's has a weekly top ten best seller list. Abbey Road was #7 last week!

Only The Beatles!

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

This sounds like more damage control than anything else. I think a lot of insiders got really ticked off when the original article "slipped" out.
    Of course, I am only speculating here.

Also, let's not turn this post into another SACD vs DVD-A post. PLEASE??

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

'Twas not my intent; I was just wondering if Abbey Road will get an SACD release as well as DVD-A, that's all.

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

boy,Kevin Elliot he really backed off from giving any solid info, didnt he?

Sounds like the Apple people might have slapped him on the wrist.

Wow. Well, i dont really care which format they issue The Beatles in, I just want two things: The original stereo mix in Hi Res, and a new 5.1 Surround mix on the same disk. Give me those two things and I'm happy.

Mikey

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member Thread Starter

Amen to that!

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Including the mono for everything before Abbey Road is also very important.

8. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Yes, well, we can dream. I'll be very surprised if that happens, though ...

9. RetroSmith

hmm...I dont know if they are going to do that. If they have to pick between stereo and mono because of the publishing royalty, my guess is that they will pick the stereo.

They may also release the Beatles Mono Mixes on a new batch of CDS and Market as "The Beatles- Restored to Original MONO" and
    put the stereo on the DVD/SACD. Who knows?

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

All I know is, the new hi-rez Beatles better have a helluva boost at 10K and none of that goddamn tape hiss, so help me . . .

11. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

so, tell us how you really feel... I mean don't hold anything back!

:)

12. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Having three mixes of the same album on the same release does not automatically translate to triple royalties. It depends on contracts and how things are/were negotiated. We have no idea about the situation with The Beatles.

If royalties or space are a consideration, my solution is simple.

Release the 'regular' SACD and/or DVD-A with the stereo and multichannel mixes.

Then, for each album, release a deluxe boxed set (sort of like the 'Pet Sounds' box). This box would include the original album in mono, stereo, and multichannel. Plus bonus tracks. Plus accurate reproductions of the original LP packaging. Plus writings, documentaries, and other goodies.

The mainstream crowd would be served, and the diehard fan would be served. They'd make a lot of money.

I'd buy them in a second...as long as the mastering didn't suck.

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

They released the "Singles" box, they released the "EP" box. If they released a limited edition "Mono" CD box, sold it for $399, it would sell out fairly quickly, and live forever on eBay, fetching $1000+. In time, even more!

14. RetroSmith

Michael, I know it doesnt automatically mean triple royalties, but it aint cheap either. EMI has yet to issue just mono and stereo Beatles on one CD, which would have ended the endless complaints about the first 4 LPs being mono only. They could have made everyone happy. I ask then why didnt they? Cost in some form had to be the reason.

And while I applaud your idea, I have a feeling EMI/Apple wont do it.

I think they'll pick one format and take advantage of economies of scale and put whatever they master on one disk. The more units of one type of disk they manufacture, the lower the cost to make that one disk, the more profit they make on that one disk. When youre talking about the Beatles, who will sell zillions of disks, that 1.00 extra profit per disk becomes very very significant.

Just my two cents, who the heck knows what they will end up doing.

15. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Mikey, I don't think cost had anything to do with the Beatles' first four coming out in mono. I wrote to EMI and played hell about the mono, and the reply came from George Martin himself saying that it was he who had persuaded EMI to release them in mono.

The CD's, original EMI Swindon pressings, still remain on the shelf, unplayed.

16. RetroSmith

Well, i meant not coming out in BOTH mono and stereo on one disk.

apparantly, that wasnt even considered seriously. I've always thought it was because of cost issue.

17. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

No matter what it means that I have to buy Abbey Road yet again!!!

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

"Well, i meant not coming out in BOTH mono and stereo on one disk. "

Mikey, is your source still claiming we will see DVDA of the Beatles?

The buzz seems to have died...

19. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Hmmm...I was always a little sceptical of this rumour...little or no truth in it from the start IMHO.

20. RetroSmith

Lee, actually, I was out with "my source" last nite. He says that the last sales meeting they had on The Beatles remixes was about a month ago and nothing since. To ME that sounds like its all on hold. Maybe Apple has something up their sleeve, I dont know.

I suggested to him that he bring up that maybe they should release, as a limited edition, The Beatles AMERICAN Lps. He said he would, which is better than nothing.

21. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

After watching "The Music Room", it sounds like the 5.1 release of this stuff is on its way. It's only a matter of time (and format).

22. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Reissues will be nice, but I hop there is no compression or no-noise

That would rule them out for me! Why ruin a good record with no-noise and compression. My bet is they will max out on the use of both, as The Beatles 1 shows us. It will be like listening to FM radio. I would prefer it that they use no no-noise and very little compression, and tasteful EQ. It would also be nice if they release it on both DVD-A and hybride SACD at the same time.

23. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I agree. Creating a 5.1 mix should not automatically call for no-noise and compression. That would spoil half of the fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.