Abbey Road - Leaner, Meaner and MUCH Better!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Reynolds, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

And? You are actually the one hating on those that hate the haters right now, my friend. Talkin' 'bout being judgemental... :cry:

2. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree with the OP's track list--however I also occasionally "reconfigure" albums slightly to suit my taste. So if it works for you, by all means enjoy!! :)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

That's my point exactly. I never said that I hated anyone. I believe that to hate someone is really extreme.
    People are so ready to call anyone that disagrees with them a hater. It really ruins real communication because people become reluctant to say what they think because others will accuse them of being a hater.
    I personally don't think there is anything terrible about being judgemental. We all make judgements about ideas, opinions, etc. As long as those judgements are communicated in a sincere way they can actually stimulate discussion among people with varying thoughts and ideas. As in "I disagree with you, but have you considered this aspect." But if a person states their idea or belief and the response they get is namecalling "Haters gonna Hate" it immediately shuts down any meaningful communication. If the only response is namecalling, it can indicate that the other side doesn't have any meaningful points to argue their position.

4. BurtThomasWard

On the other hand, it is also entirely possible that a poster in a situation like this was writing something meant to be perceived as being infused with a slight touch of sarcasm or humour. Ya know, something to perhaps defuse a situation where the edgyness had taken on ridiculous propotions. Something that perhaps that Lennon chap probably could have done.

Not me, tho. Every word I write here on the forum is deadly serious and I always resort to name-calling and ignorance. It is after all my calling card. But that is fortunately just me.

duggan likes this.
  5. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

It's a great album. Leave it alone. They knew what they were doing. :)

Paper Wizard and Mr. Explorer like this.
  6. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Hate too say it but I sense big changes on the way given the ability to remix favorite recordings and beyond.

But dang don't touch my Beatles albums. They're the one thing that makes sense in this world.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please don't tell me to leave it alone. Why would you want me to leave it alone if I don't like it, and I can improve on it (as I see it)? You can leave it alone, and that's fine for you (and apparently everyone else here, too). And, yes, of course "they" knew what "they" were doing. And that was fine for 1969. But this is 2018. With the advent of music apps for home use, you don't have to conform to what "they" want you to. If I don't like something about an album (any album), why not do something about it? That's why I do what I do. Because today's technology allows me to. But apparently there's no one else here that thinks "outside the box" like I do. And that's ok, too. I'm a little surprised, but whatever. Like I said, enjoy your Abbey Roads, and I'll enjoy mine. But don't tell me to leave it alone.

TS582, JimSpark, sekaer and 2 others like this.
  8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I agree with you on listening as you desire. I almost always skip Octopus Garden, Within You and Without You and Revolution 9 when I listen to those albums. I've never thought of it as redoing the tracklist, just as skipping songs. I rarely change the order of songs.

And I see Burt and I agree on something! :cheers:

Mike Reynolds and BurtThomasWard like this.
  9. BurtThomasWard

;)

10. Given your bloody song cuts to the album-a new album cover is in order - in fact it’s in the vault already for printing - I believe it’s known as The Butcher Cover. LOL

Yeah; “Meaner”; that’s the ticket.

Hey make your own comp CD’s; most everybody does- but the real premise of your first post is that you had a better configuration of Abbey Road; the L P record release.
    BIG CLUE was “side 1 and side 2”

Thanks for the laughs’, though.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  11. Mike Reynolds

And thank you. Very little.

12. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Yes, leave it alone! Better to spend your time thinking about why they made it the way they did, and IMO you haven't done that yet. You call imagining something other than what the artists intended "thinking outside the box"? That is simply your unwillingness to accept that you don't understand the album.

13. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Reconfiguring tired old Beatles albums is the national sport of this forum. I thought the OP did OK.

duggan and BurtThomasWard like this.
  14. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Had Capitol not caught up to the British format by 1969, yeah, the Capitol version might have looked like your version - plus, in fake stereo, even though stereo had become the norm by then.

notesfrom likes this.
  15. [​IMG]

16. Ern

Ern Senior Member

:confused:

17. Mike Reynolds

What's ironic to me is the poll results from the Abbey Road Weakest Links threads -- which is what got me started on this kick last night in the first place. (and if it makes a difference to anyone, I don't drink, ok?)

In the first round, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" had the highest number of votes (181) and highest percentage of votes (51.9%), and was eliminated from competition.
    In the second round, "Octopus's Garden" had the highest number of votes (174) and highest percentage of votes (58.6%), and was eliminated from competition.
    In the third round, "Oh! Darling" was the third highest vote-getter, but mere percentage points (31.8% to 34.8% and 36.1%) from the other two highest vote-getters.

So it would seem as if the three (+ or -) least popular songs on Abbey Road (as per the Weakest Link polls) are the very songs everyone here can't seem to live without. Go figure.

xilef regnu likes this.
  18. BurtThomasWard

Great avatar, man.

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Can’t see how anyone could be Blaise about this Paul vocal. It’s one of his greatest!

Double yikes!

Strat-Mangler and Ern like this.
  20. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

It strikes me that those three songs (Maxwell, Octopus and Darling) are clustered in the middle of the same side, and are easily the lightest (full) songs on the album. Take them off and you end up with a much darker effort overall.

So maybe it's Beatles albums fans who could do without them, and Beatles singles fans who can't live without them?

Mike Reynolds likes this.
  21. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Chillax bro.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  22. Mike Reynolds

What I call "outside the box" is listening to something the way I prefer, and not they way the record company wants me to.

It doesn't matter to me what statement the artist was trying to make when they wrote and recorded the music. I wasn't one of those kids who sat in my room listening to Beatle albums over and over and over trying to decipher song lyrics, or put clues together to deduce that Paul was dead. Like I've said, enjoy listening to your Abbey Road cd as is. I'll enjoy mine.

23. Mike Reynolds

Yeah, I don't know what that means. "Bro".

24. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

It means to chill and relax at the same time, you dig me bro?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  25. Mike Reynolds

na. I ain't feelin' ya, bruh. aight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.