Abbey Road - Leaner, Meaner and MUCH Better!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Reynolds, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Maybe we could put Oh Darling on Press to play-that would add excitement to that somewhat sterile album.
    Of course you like the rest of us can make any playlist you want. It s about taste and preferences. If you prefer Abbey Road that way it s up to you. It ain t Abbey Roaf anymore and has zero to do with thinking outside the box. It has not much to do with modern technology either-back in h days people made mix-tapes.Or if you seriously believe you are the only one here skipping certain tracks or making personal playlists and that your playlist objectively is better than the real Abbey Road

Paperback Writer likes this.
  2. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

U trippin' dawg, yous pheel me.

3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think if you had replaced these songs with other cuts (like let it be stuff like u mentioned) it wouldn't of caused a firestorm, but just slicing up an album most here think is pretty good and mixing up the tracks threw some for a loop

Mike Reynolds likes this.
  4. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident Thread Starter

gonz said:
    "Btw, adding ‘maxwells hammer’ and ‘octopus’ to let it be could only help let it be."

Now that is an interesting thought, and one I wouldn't argue with. I would even add "Oh! Darling" to Side 1 of Let It Be. Surely there are three expendable songs on Side 1 that wouldn't be missed.

5. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Yes, your terrible plight in this thread is reminiscent of Henry Fonda's character in "12 Angry Men".

Paperback Writer and a customer like this.
  6. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I think if "Maxwell" is left off Abbey Road, that effectively takes Mal Evans off the album. And since Mal is on every album (and movie) from 1964 onward, that would somehow not be right. On the other hand, "Maxwell" is not Mal's most shining work imo.

7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

If you leave out "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"...you leave out Paul's "love song" to Yoko.

If you take out "Octopus's Garden"...you leave out Ringo's song on a Beatles album and you limit him to just being a great drummer for the best band in the world.

If you take out "Oh! Darling"...you take out one of the most heartfelt and passionate songs Paul ever sang.

And you would have missed reading John's quote.

Per one source: "In a 1980 interview with Playboy magazine, John Lennon said, "'Oh! Darling' was a great one of Paul's that he didn't sing too well. I always thought I could have done it better – it was more my style than his. He wrote it, so what the hell, he's going to sing it."

Paper Wizard and Monasmee like this.
  8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

"I'm not saying my Abbey Road is better or greater, or comparing it with Hey Jude or Let It Be as an album, or an LP as a collection or whatever it is. I just said what I said and was wrong, or was taken wrong, and now it's all this." - OP

:)

jricc, TS582, EddieMann and 5 others like this.
  9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

jl ws right ofcourse, that's a lennon song if ever there was one. I wonder if there was a 'paul' song john wrote around that time he should've let paul sing...

10. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Interesting but.... I love the medley to take up the whole of side two. This version on vinyl would have the advantage of better fidelity due to the shorter sides.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  11. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

"Revolution 9."

Just the "You become naked" line :p

notesfrom and the pope ondine like this.
  12. Mike Reynolds

Ok, fair enough. But consider this, if Let It Be was already in the can before Abbey Road was (written or) recorded, why not just put "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Octopus's Garden" and "Oh! Darling" on Side 1 of Let It Be? I think both albums would have benefitted from that. And John, Paul and Ringo would still have had their own personal songs on record (as opposed to perhaps releasing them as B-Sides or non-album singles).

13. Mike Reynolds

Oh my God, someone else agrees with me. I can take my head out of the oven now. In all seriousness, thank you, sir. To this point, this thread has been brutal. Capital B... capital R... "ootle"!

[​IMG]

the pope ondine likes this.
  14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Paul had to complete his "Trilogy of Love Songs" to Yoko, that's why.

And he needed to have separate albums for each of the "Love Songs".

There was "Get Back".

There was "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

And then there was "Too Many People".

It was a pet project of Paul's.

Not to be messed with.

Sort of like a calling.

15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Paul did a great job on Oh Darling.

From early on, he knew how to belt out a song.

John did too.

Although I do love Twist and Shout...more than I do Rock and Roll Music.

Which just sounds forced.

I don't know if John's voice was as forceful as he got older...

Plus, John already had sung "I Want You".

Actually, the instrumental sections and moog sound more forceful on that song than John's voice.

Although it was full of endearing "less than forceful" passion.

You could almost hear the Co-dependence being verbalized/sung.

16. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

For what it's worth, Oh Darling was in fact tracked during the Get Back sessions-see the Anthology version. Lennon sings a heavy harmony on the "live" version.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wow, is this what this forum has become? Inane. And Im not just talking about the OPs idea.

sekaer likes this.
  18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

John: So when are we going to Mount Everest to do the cover shot, then?
    Ringo: That’s seriously abroad, isn’t it? I’m not going abroad.
    George: It’d be completely insane.
    Paul: Why don’t we do it in the road?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  19. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

There is also a "demo" version of just Paul on piano with a very heavy reverb but it is only on nagra.

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I know that Mal sings on the song Yellow Submarine, but I don't recall a cartoon version of Mal in Yellow Sub the movie and he's not in the real Beatles section at the end.

And was he really the guy with the cello in AHDN?

21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Not quite the only one. There are others on this forum who don't particularly care for one or a few of the tracks on Abbey Road.... I posted a list a few pages back that is similar to yours, only I added few songs; I agree that it is possible to shuffle around the tracks in the Beatles post-Revolver discography and come up with some interesting alternative playlists that might be preferable for a change of pace rather than the same-old-same-old. It's even fun sometimes to imagine alternative album-offerings from the Fabs. The most we can really do in this regard, as a Beatles community, is to share ideas about constructing 'Best Of' CDs that have a track running-order which both creates an overall aesthetic to the listening session and offers some contextual relevance, whether it be historical or whimsical.

22. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Hah! You can be forgiven since you've only been a member for about 3 weeks. Don't mess wit dem Beatles LPs, dey is sacrosanct around dees parts.

23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

HA! That line has as many variations as this painting...

[​IMG]

Paperback Writer and notesfrom like this.
  24. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

FULLY AGREE that MSH, OD and OG are weak tracks, OG close to a tragedy. So, in the context of this "exercise", that is OK.
    However, your attempt has come short, as if aborted halfway through, as you haven't included anything from Let it be. Given that LIB is comparatively weak for a Beatles' album, 2 or 3 songs can be rescued by including them in this "Abbey Road revisited".

Mike Reynolds and Crimson Witch like this.
  25. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Meaning?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.