DCC Archive Abbey Road-UHQR test pressing CDR itch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Nov 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

Ok now you've gone and done it--we have a member that has a UHQR test pressing of Abbey Road that based on the DCC member poll is the #1 remaster wish for Steve to do. Problem is he doesn't have a burner. If this is as close as we're gonna get to a master for who knows how long : #1. convince this member to get a CDR burner and make some copies for us beggars or #2. Recommend some one to get it done for him from our trusting board that can do it that has a great turntable . Sorry to apply the pressure but its ABBEY ROAD. :D

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Kevin Gray and I can do it on the lathe at Accoustech Mastering over at RTI if you wish....

I gotta tell you though, that the Japanese CD version of "Abbey Road" is prob. just as good....

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Now there's an offer you can't refuse! :)

Choke - cough... you mean the EMI/Toshiba copy that I have from 1983?

4. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

One is for sale on Ebay right now:

Abbey Road CD

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Eh...so? I mean, I like it and all, but... I think I'd probably rather hear an audiophile grade Revolver or A Hard Day's Night...

6. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Yep, that's the one that I have! Bought it in '83 at Century Stereo on Bascom in San Jose.

I also bought a Pink Floyd DSOTM at the same time, if people are interested in comparing to the MoFi.

7. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Besides the fact that a lot of people want to see Abbey Road as an audiophile release (see the poll), this one's actually available. Till his post, I didn't know a UHQR of Abbey Road existed, even as a test pressing. Goldmine only lists Pepper.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If the Beatles catalogue was like Nasdaq, money put on Abbey Road would possibly kick Sgt. Pepper's ass.

Revolver and HDN wouldn't stale out though. In fact, I bet if Steve could, his passion would be Rubber Soul.

9. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

In Volcania, we love Abbey Road...

10. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I have an idea - how about someone or myself send Randy W a cdr of the Toshiba/EMI Abbey Road so he can compare that to his UHQR?

11. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

So, which CDR burner should I purchase? I went to the local HiFi store, and they have Phillips, Denon, and Sony. Any recommendations?

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Randy,

Yea, I recommend none of the above. Ya can score a Sony pro cd burner for @$600 that rocks compared to the double units. The one I scored is item #CDR-W33. Check it out at http://www.oade.com/

Happy shopping,
    Jeffrey

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'd also burn it at no more than 4X speed. Some of the new CDR stock gets kinda "forgetful" after a while if put on high-speed burners.

Or, at the very least, is harder to copy after 5-6 years, some brands deteriorate. The Mitsuis and the newer Maxell CDR Pros are rock solid.

I just went through over 200 Cdrs in my basement. All of it was data, computer drivers and old HD images. I can't tell you how many of them were rendered "bad". I just shucked em for the jewel boxes, but 200 CDRs gone bye bye.

Luckilly, the only audio CDRs that almost died were the Mono White Album, and I caught that bad boy right before it flew apart.. Steve had asked me for a copy, and whoo! It could be copied, but the dye was just leaving the polycarbonate like static was the only thing keeping it on.

It was like pulling it out of the fire before it went up the chiminey!

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

14. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

A strong second on the Mitsuis and if $ stops ya then Taiyo Yudens are nice. Patience is a virtue, why not run at 1X? The CDR-W33 mentioned above gives ya no other option.

Let the Good Times Roll,
    Jeffrey

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Would you be open to Steve's idea? No offense, but my guess is Steve and Kevin would have access to better equipment...

16. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Second Luke's recommendation. And, Steve, if they don't take you up on your offer, I'll gladly send you my mono Doors LPs. I wouldn't want you to feel left out. ;)

17. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

FWIW - I'm more than happy with my Plextor cdr burner

18. Dr. Winston

Orignally posted by Luke:
    "Eh...so? I mean, I like it and all, but... I think I'd probably rather hear an audiophile grade Revolver or A Hard Day's Night"...

Luke,

I have owned multiple copies of Abbey in my day (vinyl) including the Toshiba Japanese CD at one point, but sold them off before I got educated with the DCC board. Its one of my personal favorites and as shown by the poll its near the top for a lot of others.

It would also be neat to have someone like Steve to take the test pressing and do a transfer as he's offered to do within this post. I'd be very interested in Steve's analysis and comparison against the other versions of Abbey available to us. Count me in on all other Beatles that can be made better than what is officially out there. Its the sharing of info and love of the music that makes this board great. "And in the end"...
    BTW Luke--how'd ya like the CDR of Buddy Holley-1st press?

Doc

19. Unknown

Unknown Guest

BTW Doc--whatever happened to that DCC 'Master of Puppets' you were offering for sale or trade? I e-mailed you some time back about this and didn't hear from you after my 2nd e-mail. I'm still in the market for one.

20. Dr. Winston

Patrick,

I haven't been back to the store lately--I'll try and get there next week--if its there I'll let ya know.

Doc

21. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I appreciate all the input. I never knew my innocent statement would encourage such a response. Thank you also, Steve, for your kind offer. As you might imagine, I am not keen to ship this LP anywhere, and I agree with you that the early Japanese CD may sound as good as a high quality CDR of my MFSL Abbey Road test pressing. I do not have this CD but I have the Japanese Pro-Use 1/2 speed LP, and it is pretty impressive. As I said before, the test pressing's advantages over a regular or box set MFSL Abbey Road LP are greater detail resolution for the most part and not so much bass impact, as it does not have the weight of a regular UHQR. Some might argue that the Pro-use LP is in fact better.

I will look for a Pro CDR burner as the idea of creating my own CD compilations sounds intriguing to me. When I burn a CD of this album, I will let you guys know. Thanks again, everyone, for all your suggestions.

22. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I've continually been surprised by the enthusiasm over Abbey Road at this Website. Is it because of its sonic quality? More "produced" than any other Beatles albums?
    Personally, I find it to be one of the more boring Beatles albums. Of course, boring by Beatles standards is still pretty good but what is all the excitement about? It's definately a McCartney album and I guess I'm just a much bigger Lennon fan. Because, Sun King and The End are about the only highlights for me.
    Give me With..., Hard Day's..., or Revolver first!

23. Unknown

Unknown Guest

A friend and I did an A/B session a few months back with the Pro-Use and the commercial version. I must say there is a startling difference! The domestic is obviously much more punchy ,defined and recorded at a higher volume. The japanese version reminded me of listening to my fathers lp copy when I was kid growing up in Philly in the 70's. Can anyone on the board qualify the japanese version's attributes beyond this rather simplistic characterization?

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Sounds pretty good. Still not totally mono (a mono tape played back on a stereo machine), but at least the phase doesn't go out of whack if you sum it to mono... I haven't forgotten about your CDs - they're just not in the front of my mind right now... ;) Feel free to bug me if necessary.

FWIW, You Never Give Me Your Money is one of my favorite Beatles songs. I *do* like Abbey Road - I'm just not sure it's my favorite Beatles album (and certainly not my favorite album in general).

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The issue really isn't the burner as much as the analog equipment used and the analog to digital conversion.

As far as the LP itself goes, I'm sure Steve and Kevin would take great care of it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.