ABC In Concert-info requested

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thebeatles67, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

This show (not to be confused with Don Kirshners Rock Concert) was long over by time I got my first Betamax in 1976. Occasionally a few of these have been rebroadcast but several shows have never been repeated. Does anyone have a complete listing of all the episodes, artist involved, dates, etc. All help appreciated.

Mike

2. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Count me in on your quest! I LOVED this show, and taped most of the episodes on cassette. Like a fool, I only retained two: the first episode broadcast late November 1972 (featuring Alice Cooper, Curtis Mayfield, Bo Diddley, Seals & Crofts) and an edited 2nd anniversary show broadcast late '74 featuring many!

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Back in the day when there was something good to watch on a Saturday Night with friends :)

4. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Wasn't In Concert on Friday nights, and Rock Concert on Saturdays? I can still remember being blown away by the first two In Concert shows... Alice Cooper on the first show, and the Allman Brothers on the second. After seeing the Allmans, I went out the next day and bought their s/t LP at our local florist/music store.

5. Where I lived picking up NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS stations from Fargo and Grand Forks ND, I remember ABC In Concert and NBC's The Midnight Special airing on Friday evening and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert Saturday evening on the CBS affiliate.

6. JMT

JMT Senior Member

I also liked the fact that, here where I live, it was simulcast in stereo on a local FM station (KZAP if I recall correctly). I remember watching the Alice Cooper/Curtis Mayfield show. Also remember Emerson, Lake and Palmer in one episode and Black Oak Arkansas in another.

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I remember most of the In Concert shows. Here they were simulcasted in stereo on KABC FM. Then again, it may have been KLOS by that time. I can't remember when they made the switch.

8. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Those were from the (in)famous "California Jam" from Summer of '74. That was a great "In Concert" special!

vegafleet likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Curtis footage was used on a recent 3 hour DVD of vintage footage. That particular clip is a scorcher.

Did they use your footage for the DVD? They had to use video/audio(FM stereo simulcast) from 3 different home viewer sources - master was wiped.

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I asked this question on BSN and was told that no video master tapes exist, although a holding company owns the rights. Those would be freakin' priceless.
    Acts I recall:

Alice Cooper
    Grand Funk
    Steely Dan
    Bee Gees
    Seals and Crofts
    J Geils Band
    Focus
    Freddie King

Brain misfiring now...

11. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I'd be more interested in seeing this show released, then the Midnight Special. While itm had Wolfman Jack as host , and Rock Concert had Don Kirshner I dont recall In Concert having a host...

12. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

They had ABC's "In Concert" simucasted on different radio stations all over America..in New York,it was WPLJ-FM. I used to have a cassette that had Stephen Stills and his band at the time Manassas,Randy Newman and,closing the show,Brewer & Shipley doing "One Toke Over the Line" and finishing off with "Tarkio" from "Tarkio Road"..I bought the Kama Sutra Lp the next day! GREAT SHOW-From,I believe, Winter,1972.:righton:

13. SoundAdvice

There's some question as to what masters exist and what was wiped. Some shows only exist on home VHS copies - like the Curtis clip. Luckily the footage can be synch with FM stereo broadcasts in private collections. It's not totally known if all the CalJam 74 footage was kept - Deep Purple and Sabbath master clips have been officially released.

MS is a simpe release when it comes to post-production and legal clearances. This would be a post production nightmare, plus you need to get permission from all the private tape holders.

Then there is the question of if you can release a boxset of "vhs" footage and how the market/critics will react.

I think Prince made one of his earliest Tv appearances on this show in the late 70's. No idea if the masters exists from that era. Is the clip circulating amongst Prince collectors?

14. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

I would love to find the 1974 In Concert episode with Three Dog Night promoting their then new "Hard Labor" album - they played much of the new material live on the show.

And no, In Concert did not have a host.

California Jam footage is certainly out there - the ELP material is well-represented in the "Beyond The Beginning" DVD.

15. SoundAdvice

Did bands get personal copies that were used on DVDs or is everything sitting on a shelf?

16. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Great show. I saw most of them when they aired, and attended Cal Jam '74.

17. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

From what I've heard the MASTERS are gone.The first season episodes that exsist came from two guys that taped them off the air on open-reel decks.One guy in Maryland,and one guy in Detroit.There's also some stuff that came from a guy in Chicago,who's father owed a hardware store,and had a open reel video machine for sale.The guy used the demo model to tape certain bands he liked.Also,supposedly,someone who directed some of the second season episodes has 3/4" dubs of some episodes he worked on.I've often wondered about the tapes of the similcasts....

18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

"Did they use your footage for the DVD? They had to use video/audio(FM stereo simulcast) from 3 different home viewer sources - master was wiped.[/QUOTE]

No. I recorded these on audio cassettes. Audio Magnetics to be exact! Not what you call state of the art!
    I don't remember Steely Dan on this show. Midnight Special for sure, but not In Concert.
    The 2nd anniversary show was hosted by Keith Moon. That's where the drum solo with the goldfish in a clear floor tom took place. First saw Sparks on that episode and went mad for them! Bought Kimono My House the weekend after.
    In Concert holds a lot of great memories for me. I looked forward to it. I was 8 when it premiered and I was really the only one in my school classroom who watched it. Squares.
    If I had enough capital, I would rigorously try to get it out on DVD, 2 episodes per, unedited, with bonus footage.

19. SoundAdvice

Hasn't the Moon goldfish scene been recently viewed in master quality?

20. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah,Steely Dan was on IN CONCERT.The clip of "Reelin' In The Years" was sent over to England & was shown on OGWT.They included it on one of their anniversary shows...

21. Larry

Larry Member

I also recall a kick*#& Foghat concert along with these.

22. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I just watched a video on youtube of the Eagles from this series[just shows that some video does indeed exist].

23. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I wonder if,one day,they'll find those films like they did with those "Schoolhouse Rock" Mastertapes,in a barn,abandoned? The mind boggles to think!

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Tone

Tone Senior Member

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.