ABC In Concert-info requested

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thebeatles67, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

:biglaugh: I thought this was a new thread the other day when I posted that. I can see now that I posted almost word for word the same things earlier in this thread and got the same answers.

chilinvilin likes this.
  2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have this one on cassette.

3. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I did the same as well...

4. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

The '70s show had ended before I was born, so unfortunately, the 90s "In Concert" is the only one I've ever known. Anybody have any more memories of this incarnation?

I never watched it a whole lot, but like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, ABC (and/or their affiliates) treated the show like crap. From what I remember it seems like it was constantly moving around the schedule - might be on at 11pm one week, might be 3am the next. I also don't remember this version attracting nearly the level of talent that the '70s version apparently had. I vaguely recall watching the Bowie episode, but it seems like this version of the show mostly featured sorta "b-list" guests (or maybe I just kept missing the good ones).

I had no idea it ran until 1998, though - I don't remember seeing it beyond probably '94 or so. Quite possible our local ABC just dropped it, though...they always seemed to be the first of the locals to really embrace gutting their late/overnight shows and movies to replace with infomercials.

5. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

"He explained that the "Good Vibrations From Central Park" special that he produced, (which I remember watching), became the template for In Concert. "No else in television had been doing anything like that up until that point. We shot 2 nights worth of shows, using alternate camera angles, then cut it together as one show"."

For years now I have been trying to find out the EXACT date/s this Concert cum TV Special was filmed. I know it was 1971 and I have seen 3 or 4 different dates for it. I even asked Carly Simon who is in the special and she didn't even know it was filmed! lol But the fascinating footage in this concert is when Carly is playing and they cut to backstage for only a few seconds to show us George Harrison chatting with Art Garfunkel!!! So if anyone can help date this concert/s (paricularly what date Carly Performed) It would be greatly appreciated.

6. Larry Geller

I was at the concert. I'll look for my ticket stub later, and scan it in. Off the top of my head, it was 7/3/71, Carly was there.

7. seacliffe301

I seem to remember from the interview that it was July 1st & 2nd, 1971. Same line up both nights.
    The Harrison shot is very interesting. George has stated that he was in New York at least a month prior to the Bangladesh concerts, (Aug 1,'71) making preparations. I wonder if he was asking Artie to perform?

That Good Vibrations special was a really great show. I taped the audio of that program off the air, & had that cassette for many, many years. Regrettably, it was taped over (Not by me!).
    I find it interesting that Carly Simon didn't know it was filmed.
    John Moffitt claimed it was her first time on television.

8. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I remember watching the Good Vibrations Central Park special. It must have been on tv in late '71 or early '72 I think. I also remember the Beach Boys sang "Okie From Muskogee".

9. Larry Geller

Nope, it was 7/3/71 and there was only one show. Lineup was Boz Scaggs, Ike & Tina Turner, Carly Simon, and The Beach Boys. Here's my ticket:

Attached Files:

• BB1.jpg
      BB1.jpg
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
  10. seacliffe301

Wow, that's cool.
    I remember that line up from the TV special. Had to be a great concert.

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Curtis Mayfield DVD has a couple songs from IC in 1972. I htink it's the same company as the guy who's posted here recently about Motown/British Invasion DVDs. It was sourced from an early VHS and synched with the stereo FM feed from another taper in another city..

12. seacliffe301

David Peck?

13. reelinintheyears

reelinintheyears Active Member

Hello that was me David Peck the director of the Curtis Mayfield & the Impressions film, Movin' On Up: The Music & Message Of Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions. First of all NONE of the footage came from VHS cause VHS didn't exist in 1972. Two of the tracks (Freddie's Dead & Superfly) came from 1 Inch tape that someone taped off the air in Maryland. During the third track (Pusherman) the signal got screwed up so we couldn't use that. Luckily I had another copy from 3/4 that was taped off the air in Detroit, with a stereo simulcast. Then I found a guy in NY who taped on reel to reel the simulcast and I then used both the detroit simulcast and NY simulcast to give the best audio possible. The performances are amazing and all things considered sound great.

longdist01 and somnar like this.
  14. Backsasser

Backsasser Forum Resident

Don Branker hosted the show from Sept 1974-75

15. seacliffe301

I'm guessing that 3/4'' copy was mine...

16. reelinintheyears

Yes Mike is that you? I got your email but it got misplaced. Hope you are well.

17. seacliffe301

Yes it is. All is well. Thanks for asking.
    I'll drop you another email offline.

Regarding this thread, you better than anyone with your industry perspective may be able to shed some light on this.
    Do these original tape elements exist anywhere, and do they have a chance of seeing the light of day?

Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks

18. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Larry - Brilliant!!! Thank you sooo much. You don't know how long this has bugged me! And to think all previous dates for this show have been wrong..some up to a month either way! I knew it had to be within a month of Bangladesh as I knew George was there at least in late June putting it all together.
    Interesting that the Director of the concert, John Moffitt (John Delsener Produced) sounds very confident they filmed over 2 nights? bad memory or was there another concert the day before or after maybe with other acts that didn't make the final cut?
    BTW the TV special aired on Aug 19 1971 on Channels 9, 10 & 17 at 9:30pm.
    Seacliffe - If you or anyone else could put me in touch with John Moffitt to ask some more questions or show where I can see that interview it would be greatly appreciated.

19. seacliffe301

I don't know where you would reach John Moffitt, but here is the interview I spoke of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeKsGsiKuLc
    He speaks of this show at about the 2:00 minute mark. Here is a clip of Carly Simon from that concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux7HgO9QhAc&feature=related

If you have the time, you should check out the entire series of interviews. Mr.Moffitt has enjoyed a fascinating career in television.
    Also FWIW, ABC- TV, Channel 7 in Detroit, ran this at 8:00pm. (Did this get aired in Australia?)
    For whatever reason, I have a good memory of taping this. I was in my early teens, & had to rush home in order to get started.
    Let us know if you find any other bits of info.

20. Larry Geller

You're right, I'm wrong. I totally forgot about Friday's concert. Same guests both nights.

Attached Files:

• CP2.jpg
      CP2.jpg
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
    • CP3.jpg
      CP3.jpg
      File size:
      56.2 KB
      Views:
  21. seacliffe301

Wow, that's an impressive a schedule.
    Between that and Gaelic Park, you had quite a summer of outdoor concerts available.

22. reelinintheyears

I actually have home movies from the festival that a tourist froim Holland shot. How odd is that?

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I wonder if this performance has been wiped?
    I have Groover & Jeepster.

Darryl

24. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

I was wondering about that too. The audio tapes making the rounds don't have Buck McCane. That title was only listed in TV Guide. And now that I google it, I can't find a reference to it at all. I'm not familiar enough with T Rex to speculate if it's a mistitle.
    I'm curious if the TV Guide listings might occasionally include songs that aren't in the actual shows. I don't know if the shows were finished being edited before the deadline.

Hey David, thanks for the stories about how you got a hold of the best copies of things off 3/4 inch tapes, had to sync them, etc. I love reading that kind of stuff. I've done some of that kind of thing myself, but not that high profile. I have to admit that I'm envious of you and your company. I'd love to be doing that with such great artists and footage.

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The only 2 performances of Buick McCane I see on you tube are the US promo film & the musiclaiden performance.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.