ABC In Concert-info requested

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thebeatles67, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Watching Grand Funk on In Concert is my most favorite memory of the series.

Myke likes this.
  2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'll ask around some of my Bolan friends to see what they say about his performance (airdate and songs performed).

Darryl

3. TomCrook

TomCrook NERD

Sorry to revive such an old thread. I watched several of those episodes, taping the audio from a local simulcast FM stereo station (in Boston).

At the time I had a cassette with Melanie, Jim Croce and the Guess Who's performances - which I used to enjoy in the car. Right after the intro to American Woman started, the stereo generators were flipped on and the live music expanded. Incredible!!!

And then - in 1974, My '65 Mustang convertible was stolen and never again recovered. You guessed it, that stereo cassette was in it.

I missed having that cassette nearly as much as I did the car.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Absolutely one of my fondest memories !!! (14 yrs old @ the time)

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I saw the Grand Funk as well. it was like the Grand Funk LIVE album with a pircture. They rocked.

I also saw Roy Wood's Wizard, and Humble Pie on In Concert. The Pie were wonderful, Wizard came across to me as a little retro sounding, but glittery looking which was odd.

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

From Cliff McLenehan's Chronology book

Tuesday May 1, 1973
    ...at least 2 songs were included in the final broadcast, 'Jeepster' (which was edited to remove the line "I'm gonna suck ya") and 'The Groover'. A third song, an instrumental, which survives on audiotape, was probably also shown, though film of this performance has yet to be located.This instrumental has sometimes been wrongly described as a version of 'Squint Eye Mangle'; it isn't.

Filmed Tuesday May 1, 1973
    Broadcast Friday June 8, 1973

Darryl

7. plc2008

plc2008 New Member

Deep Purple did release there Cal Jam performance on legit DVD a few years back it was the complete performance including Lay Stay Down which was previously missing from the official VHS & CD release.

The previously thought lost master tapes were discovered , the dvd is notable for the use of a number of different cameras that were used in the VHS release and David Coverdale's somewhat fruity language.

Deep Purple also legit released their performance on In Concert from Hofstra University in 1973 which features the only known filmed original Deep Purple MK2 performance of Smoke On The Water.

8. mikepasqua

mikepasqua New Member

additional data

Poco-played Good Feeling To Know
    Linda Ronstadt-sang Faithless Love (w/JD Souther)
    Souther Hillman Furay Band-Fallin In Love, Pretty Goodbyes, Border Town (JD referenced that they would be on next week after her duet with Linda).

If I can recall more, I will add. Great site-wish they would show up dvd like Midnight Special

9. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Bumping an ol' thread:

Show #4 was from a 12/23/72 Madison Square Garden concert - I was there and made the connection today via the following link:

12/23/1972 New York, NY, Madison Square Garden (ABC “In Concert” broadcast 2/2/1973) Edgar inter, Jim Croce, War

I have vivid memories of the Doobies and War. Hazy memories of Edgar and draw a blank with Jim.

So now I'm wondering... Is this this available anywhere? Will this series ever be released?

Thanks for any info...

10. Myke

I sure would love to see it on DVD, or Blu ray. Esp. the Grand Funk episode.

longdist01 and JohnT like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My memory is that there are some complicated copyright issues on the show, and none of the bands ever signed off on home video or syndication rights. NBC & Burt Sugarman were smarter with Midnight Special, but that was a crappier show. I can recall pretty vividly throughout the 1970s all my friends looked down upon the NBC show and praised In Concert as being a lot hipper. I think the production values were also a lot better.

chilinvilin, O Don Piano and Myke like this.
  12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Sounds like a hopeless cause :(

I can recall material being performed which apparently was cut from the ABC video. For example: War definitely performed 'Cisco Kid'.

Oh well - maybe they'll release the series at some point.

13. Myke

2 years after I'm dead. :laugh:

14. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Not Fair!

15. Myke

Nah, it's hard to complain in a year that's given me the complete At Fillmore East, The Sopranos complete, in HD no less, and Batman (1966). I'm just being greedy.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Humble Pie rocked like hell on In Concert. Alice Cooper was a lot of fun. I think I saw Roy Wood's Wizard as well. The Grand Funk performance an event indeed. I remember around that time Night of the Living Dead was coming on network TV (maybe for the first time), and we took a trip to the grocer store and got tons of frozen party food and had a party and watched that movie.

Anyway Don Kirchner's Rock Concert footage was available for licensing on a song by song basis. They felt they would make far more money providing the songs for documentary use, etc. Over handing out full concerts to home video consumers. I would not be surprised if the In Concert footage is available to anyone who want it for the price (high).

17. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Indeed it was, and it's a great double LP. Would have LOVED to see video to go along with the audio I have known for 30+ years, but if the elements are lost or locked away I might as well keep right on dreaming.

18. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Active Member

Audio only but I saved it!

19. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Worked on the closed captioning for the 1990s iteration of this show; the schedule was fairly erratic in terms of new vs. repeats and they'd do a mix of both new and vintage performances. A few songs I remember captioning in those years:
    • Michael Jackson - "Earth Song" Brit Awards 1996, same show as Pulp, where Jarvis Cocker came out and mocked the pretentiousness of MJ's messianic performance** (ABC conveniently cut around this incident. I don't use that description lightly. Michael is bathed in white light and clothing and the ragamuffins who've been dancing with him come up, touch or hug him, and move off into the light at the rear of the stage - it's somewhat disturbing.)
    • Pulp - Sorted for E's and Wizz (not sure ABC knew what this was about!)
    • Phish - Bouncing Around the Room
    • Simply Red - Fairground
    • The Who - Young Man Blues (the clip from The Kids Are Alright; and oddly enough ABC did not cut out Roger's closing "they got sweeeet f--- all!" at the end. We didn't put those words up onscreen because the prime directive was "Do not get thy client in trouble with the FCC.")
    My all-time favorite, though, was before the show was captioned. ABC In Concert got Hunter Thompson to interview Keith Richards circa the Main Offender tour. Between the two of them it's a wonder you can understand anything being said. HST shows up at Keith's door playing a reel to reel tape of what I believe to be the sound of pigs rutting (from some of his biographies it was something he enjoyed), and in response Keith opens up the door poking a cattle prod out into the hallway:

Vidiot likes this.
  20. nitorodz

nitorodz Active Member

I know the following shows are in the hands of collectors:

02/16/73
    03/02/73
    10/26/73
    12/07/73
    12/14/73
    07/06/73
    01/04/74
    01/18/74
    04/12/74
    04/26/74
    07/19/74
    08/02/74

I'm not active in the collectors circles, but I have a great friend who will occasionally send me stuff as gifts.
    I don't have all of the above shows, but this guy did send me the 01/04/74 episode. Here are some screen shots:

[​IMG]
    Seals & Crofts - Diamond Girl, Wind Flowers, Desert People, Unborn Child

[​IMG]
    Eddie Kendricks - Boogie Down, If You Let Me, Can I, Keep On Truckin'

[​IMG]
    Jesse Colin Young - Instrumental, Song for Juli, Jambalaya (On The Bayou)

[​IMG]
    The Crusaders - Put It Where You Want It, Hard Times, Don't Let It Get You Down

[​IMG]
    Walter Heath - I Am Your Leader, Brother (Don't You Miss Your Mother)

I included the artist lineup/song selection since it differs from an earlier post (quoted below).

As for anyone else acquiring these shows, I can't help you (sorry) and I don't know if any other episodes besides the twelve I've listed are out there floating around. The only other thing I can add is that the unearthing of these select shows seems to be a recent occurrence.

zebop likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Money can solve damn near anything, when it comes to home video releases.

longdist01, chilinvilin and zebop like this.
  22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Interesting lineup of acts. Seals and Crofts did songs from that controversial 1974 album Unborn Child. I haven't seen them to those songs on clips, etc. Cool to see Eddie Kendricks. By late 1974 he became to sell less on the pop charts, that's a nice selection of his early to then present-day solo songs.

23. DarylB

DarylB Forum Resident

What company owns the In Concert tapes?Do you think a Dvd/Blu Ray set could be done in the future?

24. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Last I remember (when I worked at ABC New York) it was owned by Dick Clark Productions, which would explain why very little (if anything) has been released from it. I think it's just another case where people who weren't around back in the day have no clue as to the value of the performances and don't see fit to let them see the light of day.

25. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Gotta agree on that one!

JamieC and O Don Piano like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.