ABC, Sara Gilbert and cast in talks to reboot “Roseanne” centered around Darlene

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

Roseanne dies of a heart attack while watching video of Darlene and David's wedding (Dan "died" at their wedding). At the funeral the Connors run into Roseanne's cousin Mimi Bobeck from Cleveland who needs a place to live. She moves in with the Connors and comedy hi-jinx ensues.

[​IMG]

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: You know, that's not a bad idea...

Matthew Tate and brettster808 like this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

You might be right.
    from deadline
    While independent production company Carsey-Werner owns and produces Roseanne, there are legal and rights issues that need to be settled as Barr was co-creator and executive producer on the series and has ownership/backend.

Depending on the terms of Barr's contract, the production company may have to buy out her stake in the show.

"Barr has a significant financial interest in the series, and there is concern that a new iteration that would benefit her financially would be a non-starter for everyone involved," Variety reported earlier this week.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I like all the supporting cast so much that I wouldn't enjoy it any less if Roseanne wasn't involved.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    snowman872, 905, AKA and 2 others like this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I always enjoyed the supporting cast more, even during the first run. Bring on the re-reboot.

905 likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's why I was really happy when they all (!) agreed to sign on to the reboot. That is pretty amazing.

ralphb likes this.
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

Becky and Darlene are the sisters I never had. Bring on the re-reboot!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They're the girlfriends I always wanted. :)

driverdrummer, Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

This is exactly correct. I would like to see Rosanne's character killed off and the show carry on but let's not delude ourselves into thinking this can happen.

I was never a big fan of the original series and I think most of that was because of Rosanne Barr/Rosanne Arnold/Rosanne/whatever. I had hope for this new reboot mostly because I liked the supporting cast and that perhaps Rosanne had changed her ways.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Oh, it can and will happen. Highly likely. Just wait and see.

11. ralphb

If they do pull it off I think people will be surprised as to how successful it can be, certainly artistically. You've got top flight actors in Metcalf, Goodman and Gilbert, and if they can retain the writers they'll have a show that can veer from comedy to drama in a blink. I look forward to this.

12. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Totally agree. I said the same thing earlier in the week on the original thread about this situation (now closed). I think it has more potential without Barr. I avoided her and would be 10x more likely to watch it in her absence.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yup. The original run of the show was able to do drama very well when the scripts required it, so I think they'd be fine with this.

Matthew Tate, snowman872 and ralphb like this.
  14. ralphb

Even on the original run I found Barr to be grating, but I kept watching because of the other actors and the writing.

Pete Puma and snowman872 like this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I wasn't a big fan of the show, and never tuned in to the re-boot. However, it seems clear that Roseanne, being a non-Hollywood type in looks, demeanor and spirit, was the main draw and the reason for the show's success. Seems obvious that replacing her with more conventional Hollywood types who say politically correct things and lead vegan lifestyles will not make for a #1 show.

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I never liked the show in its original form (Roseanne herself was way too annoying and not at all funny) and didn't see a single second of the newer ones, but I wouldn't give a Roseanne-less reboot much of a chance. I am sure there are a lot of fans who are pissed at ABC for cancelling the show and simply wouldn't bother with a reboot w/o Roseanne. The ratings wouldn't come close to what they were getting recently.

Duke Fame, Vidiot and GregM like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it will be like After-M*A*S*H. :eek: :sigh:

The funny thing is that Matt Williams is legally the creator of the Roseanne show, though he and Roseanne Barr fought bitterly about those credits, with Williams departing halfway through the first season. I think ABC/Disney is looking carefully at the contracts but won't do the spinoff if a) Roseanne got a credit, or b) Roseanne had to be paid.

‘Roseanne’ Followup Without Roseanne Barr Inches Forward, Hurdles Remain

18. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I thought the first couple of seasons were great, due in large part to Roseanne herself. Towards the show’s end run the character became overbearing and obnoxious. Then came the re-boot which showed real promise, though I only saw the first episode.

If the show gets picked up again, I’ll definitely watch but I’m skeptical about how it can go on without its main character as the anchor.

rburly likes this.
  19. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

That's what I was wondering. How much of the show does Barr own? I know this is far fetched, plus I don't know Barr's relationship with the other actors,....could Barr shop the show to another network or does ABC own part as well? I did not watch this season and personally never been a fan. However, with so many cable-streaming options, I could see the show being picked up by a network that needs some attention. This kind of reminds me when RFD-TV picked up the Don Imus show after Don's on air remarks.

20. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Frankly, not having to see the new kids anymore is the one silver lining in this.

Duke Fame likes this.
  21. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

hmmm.... now I'm really confused.

Witchy Woman and Billy Infinity like this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Aaaaannd, you're not getting me to go any further just to get into the quagmire of trying to keeps the Gorts off my back just so I can fell into an argumentitive side-discussion with people pretending they don't get it.

I grew up in Indiana. Hoosiers are not all that oblivious that you have to paint them all a picture just to get them to smell the punch line.

23. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Continue the show this way - In the first episode, Rosanne is hit by a driver who was on her cellphone being told she was insulted by some woman on TV. Rosanne survived but was left in a coma. After the dust settles & ABC lets her return to the show, In the episode when she returns, Dan is making his routine visit to see his wife Rosanne & she just opens her eyes. She's back! One small problem though. Rosanne has lost her ability to speak!!!:righton::goodie::biglaugh:

24. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Let's stay away from posts with content that got the other thread closed, please. We let that one go on longer than it should have with lots of work on our end.

Be nice, or we will have to bar you from posting here. ;)

Thanks!

905 likes this.
  25. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I hope she squeezes them for every damn nickle. How much money did she make that network?

Scott222C, cboldman and rburly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.