ABC, Sara Gilbert and cast in talks to reboot “Roseanne” centered around Darlene

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

As noted earlier in the thread, Roseanne is technically not the co-creator of the show, since she did not write or co-write the pilot episode (which is the union-stipulated requirement for series creator credit). The series was based on elements from her standup routine, but original showrunner Matt Williams developed the characters and wrote the pilot and is therefore the series creator. Roseanne later complained about this and described it as unfair, but it's standard procedure. Regardless, it does seem likely she has some sort of ownership interest in the show's IP, though it hasn't been publicly reported exactly what. It seems likely any continuation of the show without her would have to involve her permission and agreement to be bought out.

I think the only way it would be doable is if she had no financial interest in the ongoing show. A buyout is one thing, but if she were profiting behind the scenes on an ongoing basis it would make firing her in the first place look like an empty gesture.

ralphb likes this.
  2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I have a guess, she will survive just fine with or without the show and be much better off then all the behind the camera people that are looking for work.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe, but she's now on very rocky ground.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Roseanne should be loaded. But you won't know how much she is worth from that site. That site is complete fabrication, with numbers pulled out of the air. It's click bait. And you just clicked.

EwaWoowa and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I’d tune into episode one just to see how they wrote out RB.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I still think the answer for ABC is to have the creative/writing staff come up with a new series for Metcalf, Goodman, Goranson, and Gilbert as the headliners - as much of the rest of the cast as they can get in supporting roles, and come up with a new premise.

Change the names, the setting, and as much as necessary to keep the lawyers at bay, but continue the relationships.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

But if they change too many things they risk turning away people who want to watch it to see the Roseanne characters in the Roseanne settings. They don't want to do that. We're going to either get a Darlene-centered spinoff or nothing at all.

8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This is like The Laverene Show remember that.. when Cindy Williams was fired...
    Abc screwed up .. Roseanne should be in hiatus till next year..
    Till things boiled down...

9. I think it’s just a quest for more money. I don’t think spite is part of this equation.

Duke Fame likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Correct. It's a quest to recoup money that's already been spent and to try to minimize loses. Let's not turn Roseanne into the victim, here.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

True. I forgot it's Hollywood we're talking about.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A lot of money was poured into the reboot. If you spend a lot of money on something that ends before you thought it would of course you want to try to minimize your loses.

13. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Let's all remember that the ratings dropped quite a bit as the show went on. And that was with Roseanne. I read somewhere that Big Bang Theory, a show 11 seasons in now and counting, started the season even with Roseanne and finished absolutely trouncing it in the ratings. Wasn't the hook that she was the lone Trump supporter, and how novel it was to have this demographic represented on TV? Now it will be just another sitcom.
    All that being said, I would welcome a Darlene/Becky centered story. I think it would be just as resonant as before, and I think we need a bigger sample size of what Lecy Goranson can do.

14. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

905, Nostaljack, rburly and 1 other person like this.
  15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The season finale for Roseanne was 2.4 in the demo with 10.3 million viewers. Big Band Theory was 2.8 in the demo with 14 million viewers. Maybe not trouncing, but Roseanne started out at 27 million, taking into account DVR viewing, whereas BBT debuted with 17 million. There was a definite novelty factor involved with Roseanne, but it's downward trend certainly made ABC's decision a little easier.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Dear lord, noooooooo!!!!!!

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

18. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

19. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Poor Sara. You can tell this has been really hard on her being put in a position like this.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Canceled. 25 posts with political and/or racist conversation deleted.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.