ABC to recreate “All in the Family” and “The Jeffersons” eps for special

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

I had to double check that this wasn’t an April Fools prank. Certainly with all the talent involved this could be very cool...or it could end up being a legendary disaster. Either way, it should make for a fascinating watch.

Jimmy Kimmel will present a live 90-minute primetime event paying tribute to Norman Lear’s groundbreaking comedy series All in the Family and The Jeffersons on ABC.

An original episode from each iconic Lear comedy will be re-created; Jimmy Burrows is directing the live special. Live In Front Of A Studio Audience: Norman Lear’s ‘All In The Family’ and ‘The Jeffersons’ will air Wednesday, May 22, 8-9:30 PM ET.

Woody Harrelson will play Archie Bunker role; Marisa Tomei will play his wife Edith in the recreation of All In The Family. Jamie Foxx and Wanda Sykes take the roles of George and Louise Jefferson in the All in the Familyspinoff, The Jeffersons....”

More at:
    Jimmy Kimmel Re-Creates ‘All In The Family,’ ‘The Jeffersons’ Episodes For Live ABC Special – Deadline

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Considering no one watches sitcoms due to the talent, but from the authenticity and believable portrayal of the characters by the actors, I'm not seeing this go so well. I wouldn't say disastrous, more like forgettable.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I hope Marla Gibbs can reprise her role. She is still in fantastic health for her age.

5. dirwuf

Perhaps as Mother Jefferson...

6. bartels76

Good point! She can still be the maid I think possibly as another option. She didn't do too much work on the show to begin with which was a running joke.

7. bartels76

I just read that Justina Machado is playing Florence so hopefully Marla shows up in some capacity.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Can they still say "honky" in 2019? If not no sale.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

the sure can't say Archie's 'dem dere colleds' !!!

10. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

What, no Maude? I'm thinking maybe Joy Behar... :)

11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Some of the comments in the article seem to be overhyping this a little. "Can't miss television event of the year, if not the decade" seems a bit much.

That said, it is an interesting format to present these shows in a modern context. It could fall completely flat, but if it succeeds and generates real buzz, we'll probably see additional attempts to reinterpret old episodes in the future.

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Why is ABC doing it?

13. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Further proof that the Hollywood well dried up a long time ago.

14. Squealy

Fun fact; Woody is ten years older than Carroll O’Connor was when he started playing Archie Bunker.

15. dirwuf

With all the network, cable and streaming outlets there has never been more original tv programming, and they just want to pay tribute to these classic series without doing the tired clip show format.

16. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

OK. The well has dried up for the networks. Look at the theaters, nothing much original there either.

17. Tim Lookingbill

And Norman Lear's brilliant writing of Archie's lovable, ignorant bigot character will not be softened by Woody's air of psychopathy he's projected in other rolls.

O'Connor's acting style fit well with both his northern Brooklyn conservative Archie as well as his portrayal of a southern Mississippi police chief in "The Heat Of The Night". He has the gift of projecting believable vulnerability. I'm not seeing this with Woody's blue saucer eyed gazes.

18. Squealy

I wouldn’t have thought of him, but for somebody who probably nobody pegged as a serious or versatile actor when he started on Cheers, Woody has had a remarkably long and varied career. I’m sure he’ll find a way to do the character.

MikaelaArsenault and lightbulb like this.
  19. 905

905 Senior Member

I'll watch it for Woody and Marisa.

MikaelaArsenault and cwitt1980 like this.
  20. Tim Lookingbill

Any character's he's played that points to this versatility? John Wayne had a remarkably long and varied career as well, but do you think his delivery of Archie's bigot dialog would land right with all audiences?

21. Squealy

He’s been in many different things, from Cheers to Natural Born Killers to True Detective to Zombieland to Three Billboards to The People vs Larry Flynt to Kingpin. I wouldn’t exactly call him a chameleon — and I don’t know if he’s ever played anyone from Brooklyn — but he’s fit convincingly into all kinds of movies and shows...

22. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

What Norman Lear ought to do is recreate "Fernwood 2Night" and "America 2Night" since both "Barth" and "Jerry" are still active (although unfortunately Frank DeVol, Frank Marocco, and Tommy Tedesco have passed away).... While we're at it, why aren't these brilliant and utterly insane shows available on DVD, Blu-Ray, or streaming/download?

Here's an example....

BTW: The accordion player in this clip, Frank Marocco played on "Pet Sounds":

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This.^ Instead of regurgitating old scripts, why not just create new ones?

24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Because it’s a tribute...not a new series.

25. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

The funny thing is that what made these shows so popular WAS the originality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.