About those Billy Joel CD remasters...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

For years, I advocated those remastered CDs. I bought them when they came out in the 90s. I found nothing wrong with them. They sounded fine. The problem has been that I hadn't been listening carefully enough, nor did I really compare them to the original CDs. For years, and on this forum, I touted their sound and was one of the people who went against the forum wisdom.

Well, a couple of months ago, I finally bought the "52nd Street" remaster for a couple of dollars. (It was never one of my favorite albums.) I had the original CD, so I decided to compare them, since it sounded like something was a bit off. I enjoyed the sound, but it was a bit too consistent between tracks, not how I remembered the vinyl. So, anyway, I realized that a lot of the nuance and detail was totally destroyed by the compression of the remaster, as was the stereo soundstage. A casual listener wouldn't have noticed or cared, but, since i'm an audiophile... Detail and microdynamics are very important to me.

Now, I am going to replace the remasters I bought with the originals. I'm glad I woke up concerning these CDs. I have three albums left to replace with the old and i'm good.

2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I have pretty much everything Billy Joel did on vinyl. I bought the remasters for convenience. I appreciate your review and your diligence. I enjoy Billy's music a great deal. I still love the Nylon Curtain on CD. Actually, as you say, I enjoyed them all and they are still cheap on Amazon.

As much as I respect your opinion on this, I'm thinking I will just stay with the remasters.

ACK! and Atari265278 like this.
  3. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I think the only remaster I have is "Songs In The Attic". I might have had others at one point (and I definitely had the 4 CD Greatest Hits + box set), but eventually nabbed the originals of the titles I really wanted (Turnstiles, Stranger, 52nd St, Nylon Curtain, Storm Front). I dig 'em.

Someday if I find the original "Songs" for cheap, I'll nab it.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

If your going with the old US ones Grant
    Piano Man has pre-emphasis
    My old Glass Houses and Stranger does not
    Not sure on the other titles

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  5. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Your discovery doesn't just hold true for the Billy Joel CDs. Anything from the 70's that was recorded on analog tape that has been remastered, is not the way I remember hearing it on vinyl and cassette when it came out. You can't take something that had analog compression applied to it when it was mastered 40 years ago and add digital compression to it after the fact and expect it to sound "right".
    I wanna hear this music on CD sound the way I remember it sounding when I was a kid. That's why I seek out the best sounding original non remastered CDs. Younger people are at a disadvantage because they didn't grow up listening to this stuff, and having it fused into their DNA. They don't have the reference point. If detail and microdynamics are importnat to you, then steer clear of anything remastered and begin the journey I did 2 years ago..........................

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  6. 32XD Japan1

I have a Japan for USA Columbia of Stranger that sounds really nice. The original Columbia of 52 Street is extremely bright, Steve's AF is is the best I've heard. The MFSL of 52 has all the high end sucked out of it.

g.z. likes this.
  7. c-eling

Some of these PE discs may have carried over to the US pressings
    Billy Joel - 52nd St. - 35DP 1 (Japan for Japan / Japan for US, crude font matrix)
    Billy Joel - The Stranger - 35DP 2 (crude font matrix)
    Billy Joel - Glass Houses - 35DP 18 (Japan for Japan / Japan for US)
    Billy Joel - Songs In The Attic - 35DP 19
    Billy Joel - The Nylon Curtain - 35DP 34 (crude font matrix)
    Billy Joel - Piano Man - CDCBS 80719 Japan for Europe with 35DP 109 in the matrix
    Billy Joel - Piano Man - CK 32544 Columbia USA "The Nice Price"

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

The original post is contradictory. You advocated the remasters but then didn't listen to the remasters until your recent 52nd street purchase? I can't figure out from context which collection you are praising.

9. 32XD Japan1

That would explain 52nd's unbearable brightness. Plus when the vocals kick in in Big Shot........whoa...in my face.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

Thing is I'm not sure where the tag is located on that one, foobar has a nice plug in that will add the proper EQ if you are ripping it...

11. 32XD Japan1

Thanks bud, I use Foobar all the time. It never occurred to me to rip 52 to the hardrive and use the IIR filter on the WAV files. I'll give it try and compare it to the AF. I've used it a bunch of times on old Japan pressings with pre-emph and gotten very nice results.

c-eling likes this.
  12. Grant

Well, I don't need "Piano Man", so I don't have that one.

I can deal with pre-emphasis by simply ripping it with the appropriate software. I don't listen directly to CDs. I have everything ripped.

c-eling likes this.
  13. Grant

I found it for $2.99 a few hours earlier.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  14. c-eling

Did I say you did?
    Other forum-ites may be interested in the older titles so I was providing additional information...

15. DrownedGod

DrownedGod Forum Resident

Thanks for your post. I don't agree, however. In terms of remasters, Billy Joel's catalog is hardly a poster child for screwing up original albums. Ted Jensen did a good job on most of these and the Greatest Hits CD's are much better in the remastered versions because of the album cuts they use rather than singles, IMHO.

WolfSpear likes this.
  16. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

My prefered choices for Billy Joel on disk are the current MFSL SACDs, very well done indeed without being loud or agressive.

17. Grant

But, you specifically named me in your post, so...

18. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

The 1998 remasters aren't disasters, really.

But if I were to choose, I'd go with the original discs with the exception of the 1985 Greatest Hits.

19. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Forget the thread title, which is ostensibly about Billy Joel teamsters. This thread is apparently all about the OP.

hutlock, d.s.l. and c-eling like this.
  20. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Grant likes this.
  21. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That short thread is all over the place. They're great, they're terrible, if you raise the levels to the clipping point then there is massive clipping...

I guess it's safe to say that opinions on Billy Joel remasters are extremely divided.

22. Grant

Exactly! I just started to pay more attention to the details. The bit that got me this time, specifically, is the destruction of the stereo image and fine detail on the remasters. I would say that if those two things don't bother you, keep the remasters.

23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wouldn't that only be an issue if played on a computer?

24. c-eling

No, it depends on the player itself, For example ,Oppo's won't add the eq if the tag is found in the SUB Q channel, only if it's found in the TOC (Table of Contents)
    The Pre-emphasis eq curve can only be applied via analog outs (Player side DAC) on any given player
    I've been on the hunt for a descent high end player that will add the proper eq found in both... It's not going very well, Until I do my Onkyo 7030 will suffice

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  25. 32XD Japan1

I just de-emph with Foobar, than rip to CD. At least I know it's been decoded.

Grant and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.