About those Billy Joel CD remasters...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinpanalley

tinpanalley Forum Resident

I have his records on original Columbia vinyl (always thought they were lesser quality because of the super thin 80s vinyl) but I would like to get something to use portably and on my computer.
    Are the 2012 MFSL or the 2011 Complete Albums box no good? Would I be better off just digging around for original 80s CDs? And if so, from any particular place?

2. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

I’m looking to buy a greatest hits set from HD Tracks, does anyone know which is the best way to go here I’m terms of sound quality (both are 24/96).

Greatest Hits I & II and Greatest Hits III

or

Essential

Thanks

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

If you mean the original gold tinted 35DP, then they are expensive and hard to find. The 2nd (silver but hand etched matrix) and 3rd (silver and machine stamped matrix) are much easier to find and less expensive. I have a 35DP An Innocent Man. The matrix is 35DP-77 31A11 +++++, so not particularly early; however, it cost me just £2.99. I also have a 50DP Greatest Hits Vol. I and II. That one wasn't expensive either. Japan for Europe copies aren't that plentiful in the UK in my experience, but maybe I need to look harder. There are also early US DADC for Europe versions of some of his albums, but they aren't common. I have one, The Stranger, which has a different mastering to the earliest Japanese manufactured editions.

4. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Yeah I have the 2011 Complete Albums boxset and it does sound very nice. All newly remastered by Ted Jensen who did the 1998 remasters but these 2011 ones don't sound anything like those.

5. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I have been going through my CDs and choosing between my remasters or earlier masterings and keeping which ones I like more.

When I came to the few Billy Joel CDs, I just couldn’t decide. I had to keep both. I will continue to purchase both 98 remaster and earlier mastered CD when I find them used for a couple of bucks each.

I would really like the latest box set if what you all have said about the increased clarity but reduced level boost is true!

6. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Ur player does play SACD according to ur profile? The MoFi SACDs are pretty affordable and consensus upgrade over original & TJ remasters.

Kristofa likes this.
  7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

They are on my radar as well! :goodie:

fluffskul likes this.
  8. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

How is 52nd Street [Sony Mastersound edition] and The mini Japan lp cds that came out a while back ?

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Blech

Grant likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I am not a fan of Japanese pressings. I find that most or all of them seem to sound thin with tipped-up treble.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

For new ones ya, but the ones during the compact disc's first decade (82-92) were often gorgeous.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I don't agree.

13. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Perhaps the problem is your obis are missing

14. This is what I've had on CD over the years:

Unremastered European CBS CDs: Lots of ups and downs, ranging from excellent (Streetlife Serenade) to so so (An Innocent Man) to absolutely awful (Turnstiles, The Stranger).
    Unremastered US Columbia CDs: I've only heard The Nylon Curtain which sounds pretty dull to me. Wasn't there a story that Billy Joel himself was unhappy with it?
    Ted Jensen remasters: Pretty loud, but they've obviously used either much better sources or much better equipment than whatever was used for the European Turnstiles or The Stranger or the US The Nylon Curtain. As far as remasters go they're certainly not the worst I've heard, but not great either.
    Columbia SACD: The Stranger sounds absolutely fantastic, both in 5.1 and surround. As someone used to the unremastered European CD, the SACD was like hearing the album for the first time.
    Audio Fidelity: 52nd Street sounds fantastic, Glass Houses is great too (but less well recorded and mixed in the first place), Streetlife Serenade is also a significant improvement over the original European CD.
    MFSL: I've heard Turnstiles and Songs In The Attic, both beat every other version of the album I've heard. Highly recommended.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.