Absentia new series with Stania Katic on Amazon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Caught this the other day. Had been waiting for it to show up on Amazon-compelling series.
    Stania Katic (best known for “Castle”)stars as an FBI agent abducted by a serial killer and missing for six years. After his conviction, the killer calls her husband and tells him where she can be found but she’ll only be alive for another hour. They find her in a water tank which had been filling and emptying on the verge of death. She returns to find her FBI husband has moved on with his life and that her son doesn’t know her. She tries to put the pieces of her life for the last six years.

Excellent performances all around well written although the music is a bit cheesy. Well written and directed, powering through the remaining episodes and really liking it.

RickH, CBC and kanakaris like this.
  2. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Looks like a couple of folks have watched the series. I had elected not to binge watch it but with zero interest in the Superbowl outcome today, elected to do it anyway. A very nice change of pace for Katic after years on Castle. The series also provides a nice variation on most serial killer dramas. I have to wonder how they will handle another season.

3. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Binge watched the whole thing last night. A little confusing at times but overall I liked it. I'll watch season two if there is another season.

Coricama likes this.
  4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm losing interest at 5 episodes deep. Actually, I think the writing is sloppy and its getting very silly. Like:

What kind of gun killed Adam? Does this point to Byrne?

Not sure I'm going to make it to the finish line.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. omom

omom Forum Resident

It takes place in Boston and I've yet to hear a townie accent.

Solaris likes this.
  6. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Just watched it over 4 days. I almost quit on it a couple of times, but the mystery of who did what kept me hanging on until the end. The main character was pretty though. I'd give it 2 stars out of 5 probably.

7. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I had to force myself to watch to the end. It starts strong but grows more and more implausible and ridiculous, and the very ending had me rolling my eyes. I wound up disliking every character by the time it was over.

Bender Rodriguez and Coricama like this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My wife and I were looking for a show to watch and gave this a shot. It seemed like it could be cool but by the fifth episode I really wanted to quit but had committed too much time not to see it through to the end. Two episodes left to go now and I'm eager to get it over with. The story became more and more preposterous and convoluted with each episode, with every new lead ending up a worthless red herring, which became predictable and annoying.

Solaris likes this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I only of this, but gave up there. I rolled my eyes too much in the first episode to induce into continuing. It really seemed a stretch to me that the guy who's wife was missing/presumed dead would be working the case of his missing spouse, but even if he was allowed that latitude, that they would put him in a room alone with the suspect so that he could interrogate and attack him was just too much.

groundharp likes this.
  10. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I've just started watching this because the premise sounds interesting. I'm only halfway episode 1 and I am wondering how the husband could bring such a dazed, teetering on the brink woman to his home, have her meet his new wife and then let her in alone with the kid, who they obviously hadn't prepped for it or talked to him to learn his feelings, and she is rejected, adding salt to her wounds. Idiotic stuff. I hope the writing improves.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I read Stania Katic on Amazon as Stan Kenton. I really have to get it together..

12. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

It doesn't.

13. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

I got about three minutes from the end of episode one and quit. What a pile of poo.

14. Daniel Plainview

Against my better judgement my wife and I are watching Season 2. I was sorta intrigued for an episode or two but this thing has already jumped the shark. Will watch last 4 episodes out of sense of obligation.

15. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

When was the "Jumping the Shark" moment?

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Noticed that too.
    The fact it’s filmed in Bulgaria probably doesn’t help.
    Liked the first better than the second.
    Apparently a third is on the way

17. Daniel Plainview

Like season 1, it stars out ok but it just gets more and more ridiculous each episode. Now she's going undercover in foreign countries fighting in a party dress, when just two episodes ago it seemed like she could barely keep her **** together at all, mentally. Show should be called Absurdia. I don't even care how it ends, I just want it to.

18. Daniel Plainview

I see season 3 is available to stream on Amazon. Wife eager to continue, I'm checking my watch. Will give it a shot, but expecting more of the same, just not as good.

19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

After watching 2 (or is it 3?) episodes of Season 3 on the Showcase Channel, I’d say you’re right

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  20. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

I enjoyed season three more than the first two.

21. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

First off, it's Stana, not Stania.

Secondly, I don't know what it is exactly that rubs me the wrong way, but she has always come across to me with a Eurotrash vibe. I know she's American (because I looked it up), but just strikes me as a textbook example of Eurotrash. YMMV.

22. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

IMO Stana is the most attractive American, and it has everything to do with her "European" look. I wouldn't call her trash, she is a very elegant woman, although some of the her choices of outfits at premieres or award ceremonies do look more "trashy" than elegant.

23. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I liked season one, but the acting and writing have deteriorated too much for me.

24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

FWIW Stana was born in Hamilton, Ontario
    But did live in the US during some of her early years

25. Daniel Plainview

Well, I'm on the last episode of season 3. I mean, I was interested and kept coming back for more, but the show is just so freaking ridiculous. People get severely injured, next episode they dust off and lead a raid on a maximum security compound armed with only a pistol. I have to leave my brain at the door and just look at the pretty flashing lights on the screen, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.