AC/DC to announce 'retirement' today???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mylene, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member Thread Starter

AC/DC may be announcing their retirement as soon as Tuesday, according to media reports. The famous rock band, which formed in 1973, is one of the most popular and highest-grossing bands of all time.

Entertainment commentator Peter Ford told radio station 3AW on Tuesday morning that after last year's talk of a tour, nothing has been announced since.

"The suggestion is being put to me that tour will never happen and we will never see AC/DC perform again or record again," he said.

More to come.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/acdc-to-split-report-20140415-36oc1.html#ixzz2yuKpaBdZ

2. Mylene

AC/DC 'won't perform or record again': Reports
    Posted by: 3AW Breakfast | 15 April, 2014 - 9:27 AM
    [​IMG]
    RUMOUR FILE UPDATE: There are unconfirmed reports AC/DC is retiring.

Rumour File caller 'Rock Band' told 3AW the band will announce its end today.

3AW Breakfast's entertainment reporter Peter Ford told Peter and Kate that silence could be telling after last year's talk of an approaching tour.

"The suggestion being put to me is that that tour will not happen and we will never see AC/DC perform again or record again," Ford said.

"The boys have a pact that they will not get anyone else in the group; nobody will be replaced and when somebody leaves, the group ends.

"My information is that Malcolm Young, one of the founding members of the group, has in recent times returned to Australia to live with his family and for his own personal reasons he may not want to continue with the band."

Ford said AC/DC had not slated any annoucement for today.

"But now that it's out there they may be forced into corner," he said.

AC/DC is one of the most successful Australian bands of all time, selling over 200 million albums since they originated in 1973.

Back in Black is the third-highest selling album by a band in history.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breakin...m-or-record-again-reports/20140415-36oeq.html

3. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

My very first favorite rock band. They made a huge impression on me back in 5th and 6th grade (1977). In fact...with the exception of Back in Black..they never did match the greatness of those early albums. Sad day.

We salute you.

Ortofun and dlokazip like this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I just read the other day they're entering the studio soon to start work on a new album.

This is stupid. Since the end of the 80's, AC/DC has taken absurdly long breaks between projects/tours, with virtually nothing heard from them for years. I remember between 2003 and Black Ice in 2008, there was virtually nothing coming from the AC/DC camp. This is just some website looking for clickbait.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I can live without another AC/DC studio album.

Pericles, No Bull, acdc7369 and 6 others like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

AC/DC ceased to be particularly relevant as a recording entity in the '80s...Now it's product, tour, product, tour, lather, rinse, repeat.

If they throw in the towel, it's because they're tired of the grind of the road and (most likely) have enough money.

But my guess is if there is any truth to this, and they do announce a retirement, in a year or two some configuration will announce a reunion--and they might even break the blood vow to not continue without all the "original" members.

Mr Bass and No Bull like this.
  7. Mylene

Radio's still running with this story. The latest is that it's got something to do with health issues.

On the other hand most of the A list journalists are on Easter holidays so it'd be easy to slip an untrue story through this week.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What happened to the 40/40 tour that was recently announced.?

9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i only saw them live once opening for lou reed.obviously w/bon scott.....i leaned over to a friend and said these guys are gonna be huge......

acdc7369 and D.B. like this.
  10. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

I read some day that Malcolm was ill...:(

11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Supposedly Malcom Young has been having some health issues as of late. Hope it's not serious.

12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

It looks as though when that was announced the band actually intended to go through with it. But even then there was talk of a band member being ill (pretty sure Malcolm was unofficially listed as the member). Looking at this story today and Peter Ford's tweet regarding this...it looks as though things have changed and not for the better.

Still too early to know for sure until they officially confirm/deny but it looks to me that the end is certainly near for the band. We'll see......

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Clanceman likes this.
  13. Mylene

14. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I'm okay with them retiring, (I think it's time), I just hope whatever may be ailing Malcolm is nothing too serious

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

sad news if its true

16. Perhaps they no longer felt "current".

OK, enough joking. They were huge back in the day and managed to put out some kick ass albums. I'd say the boys deserve to retire if they want to.

vonwegen, wavethatflag and lee59 like this.
  17. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

If Malcolm isn't well I hope he gets well soon. He was always one of the coolest rhythm guitarists ever in my book. If AC/DC does call it a day, their legacy is secure - one of the greatest bands in history.

Maybe now we can get the really definitive 2 CD Best Of :)

18. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Well I got to see them front row on the Black Ice tour, so if this is really the end, at least I witnessed them up close and personal.

I still hope they have one more tour in them though, I thought they were awesome on the last tour.

Tree of Life likes this.
  19. When AC/DC hit the scene and became huge in the mid to late 70's I was a Prog Rock Snob with a taste for jazz. However recently as I approach 60, I have found a guilty pleasure in AC/DC. I even bought a Bon Scott era DVD concert as I wanted to see what they were like back then. The video is amazing! They deserved the fame and riches they received. Wish I had gone to one of their shows back then.

If they want to retire let them retire. They have given rock more than their fare share of memorable riffs and songs. I do sincerely hope that all band members are well and can enjoy their well deserved retirement. Their music however will live long!

Rick G

JakeM, Tree of Life and pscreed like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

All good things must eventually come to an end.

Studio wise, they've put out crap for the last 30 years. Live? They can still bring it. Glad I saw them at least once even if it was 32 years ago!

dlokazip likes this.
  21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

These guys put on one hell of concert. Only saw them once but it was a lot fun.

sound chaser and Tree of Life like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the razors edge disagrees with you

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That's fine.

It's only "ok" in my book. The last album I liked was Flick of the Switch and a lot people hated that one.

/opinions

s320no, Yankee8156 and jeffrey walsh like this.
  24. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Enjoyed this show from 2003, never cared much for live Brian Johnson though. They made their mark, everyone's time comes. Highway and Black, the soundtrack of my youth. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  25. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

I'd be wary of anyone that uses the title 'entertainment reporter' - especially for 3AW.

Mylene likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.