AC/DC to announce 'retirement' today???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mylene, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I agree.

2. junk

junk Hellion

I think they should continue if they want to. Why not?

3. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'm hoping Malcolm is in good enough health to contribute in the studio and he stays home if they tour afterwards to try and get better. If all that happens and he's eventually strong enough to play live I think they'd do a short farewell tour.

4. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I agree. One more album and tour for the fans would be a better way to go out.

5. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

While I do agree, they replaced him with (I think) their cousin around the Blow Up Your Video time while Malcolm got over an alcohol problem...... So, it's not unprecedented.

I have a feeling, no matter what, they'll likely retire for real once this short-ish 40th idea has been completed..... You gotta wonder how much longer Brian will be able to speak letalone sing ..... However, his voice was in better shape on Black Ice than in a long time....

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

From Wikipedia

"Stevie Young is the nephew of AC/DC guitarists Angus and Malcolm Young. He is the son of their brother Alex. During the 1988 U.S. tour for AC/DC's album Blow Up Your Video, which started on May 3, 1988, Stevie filled in for Malcolm on rhythm guitar, while Malcolm left to deal with a growing alcohol dependency. Many fans were not even aware that Malcolm had been replaced, as Stevie bears a physical resemblance to him"

Rocketdog and Timmy84 like this.
  7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

As someone who has seen AC/DC without Malcolm (1988), they could certainly continue to play live without him. Whether or not they could continue to record is an open question, although that's been an issue for the past decade as far as I'm concerned.

The problem is that Malcolm is the heart and soul of the band. If they knew he'd never come back, that would be tough.

8. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

That's how I feel about them now. Though I still think H2H & LTBR are better albums than BIB, I don't care about anything they did after BIB. They could have stopped making albums after it and just been a touring jukebox and I wouldn't care.

blutiga likes this.
  9. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

AC/DC never returned to the great blues rocking sound they had after Bon's death.

blutiga likes this.
  10. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

They also said that if push came to shove and one of them went down health wise they'll quit but apparently if they've decided to continue, there must've been a change of heart from the ailing one. Malcolm must've decided, "no guys, you have to go on for one more time". So again, who knows? Me and you both can't really know what was going on behind closed doors. AC/DC's continuing though.

11. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

It's funny you say that because I heard Bon was the heart and soul, or at least the voice (not sure which). Then I heard the same thing about Angus... but I guess it depends. Angus, Malcolm and Bon were the nucleus behind the classic AC/DC lineup.

12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Here's some video from 1988 with Stevie Young filling in for Malcolm. If someone didn't tell you it wasn't Malcolm you probably wouldn't know:

agentalbert likes this.
  13. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I have no idea what Stevie looks like now but maybe he could fill in again. The Youngs like to keep it in the family.

artfromtex likes this.
  14. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

If Malcolm's illness is as serious as it's being hinted (and it does seem likely), Steve Young will be on the album/tour.

15. rdog

rdog Forum Resident

Hope that isn't true. Not a huge AC/DC fan (saw them once with Bon, and once on the Back In Black tour). Malcolm has that incredible ringing rhythm tone, very much like Keith Richards at his best. Wouldn't mind seeing that again.

16. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

NEW YORK (AP) — Malcolm Young is taking a break from AC/DC to focus on his health, the band said.

The announcement saying the 61-year-old guitarist is in "ill health" was posted on the band's Facebook. No details were provided.

"Malcolm would like to thank the group's die-hard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support," the statement said.

AC/DC includes vocalist Brian Johnson, drummer Phil Rudd, bassist Cliff Williams and guitarist Angus Young, Malcolm Young's brother.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famers said in the statement they "will continue to make music." AC/DC's last studio album was 2008's "Black Ice." They released a live disc in 2012.

Young co-founded the Australian classic rock band. He has performed with AC/DC for 40 years.

Mark Gable, a friend and musical contemporary of Young, said he doubted the guitarist would ever record again.

"It's not just that he is unwell, it's that it is quite serious," Gable, frontman of the Australian band The Choirboys, told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

"He will probably not be able to record," Gable added.

Sydney-based music company Alberts, which launched AC/DC's international career and manages the band's music catalogue, did not respond to a request for comment.

___

As far as I'm concerned, Malcolm Young is AC/DC

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

AC/DC is dead.

18. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Yep.

19. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

They also survived the death of Bon Scott, so don't give up on them to early. It doesn't sound good what is heard about Malcolm Young, but this could also boost energies inside the band.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Don't be so quick to shovel dirt on them. If the band says they will "continue to make music", its probably because Angus and Malcom had enough songs worked out to do a new album and were planning to do just that. They can at least record an album. George Young, who filled in on bass for them on early albums, can probably handle rhythm guitar duties in the studio. I think there's a good chance we get one more release from them.

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=acdc+stevie+young

There's a full soundboard of a Stevie Young gig. Plus more audience shot videos.

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

but queen isn't trying to replace their dead frontman. last time i checked its QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS and QUEEN+ADAM LAMBERT. its like people don't even notice or something

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    intv7 likes this.
  23. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Yea, I know that. But who cares about it? When I hear Paul Rodgers, I think of Bad Company. When I hear Adam Lambert, well, I don't.

Timmy84 likes this.
  24. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

LOL! Yes certainly true.... but, it doesnt seem like many people agree with them....

25. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

in my opinion, the public seems to feel that calling anything "Queen" without Mercury, is an injustice, and the public seems to feel that it cannot be Queen without Mercury. Therefore, it doesnt matter if its billed as "Queen Plus Freaking Big Bird and Bert and Ernie", they're still trying to call it "Queen" - and a lot of fans arent gonna go for that.

Now if they called it Taylor, May and Lambert, the fans wouldnt be as upset. But then they also wouldnt get the name recognition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.