AC/DC to announce 'retirement' today???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mylene, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Yeah, but this comment was a threadcrap, pure and simple:

Timmy84 likes this.
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

not really. I think it's in extremely poor taste for AC/DC to continue in any capacity without him and this idea of "moving on" strikes me as in extremely poor taste

GodShifter likes this.
  3. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Malcolm was like one-fourths. There was Bon, brother Angus and Brian. Malcolm did play a key role but I don't think you can say it wouldn't be AC/DC without him. Most bands who lose key players find a way to carry on but maybe AC/DC knows their limits. I rather stay positive about this than be all Negative Nancy about it (not saying you are, just in general).

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Well, we really don't know the circumstances behind the band's decision. In fact, it's really not certain that the band will actually carry on. Personally, I would be surprised if the May sessions that Brian Johnson referred to resulted in anything at all.

That said, your comment stated that you wished that the band would finally go way, which indicates an existing dislike of the band, with or without Malcolm Young.

Billy Infinity, acdc7369 and MRamble like this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think Malcolm wrote most of the music. I'm not sure, though.

Timmy84 and GodShifter like this.
  6. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I think Malcolm & Angus share credits on every single song they’ve ever put out. Bon Scott shared as well on every one of his stuff.

Timmy84 likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I guess I'm old fashioned but I don't see how this is anything other than the personal decision of the band members to continue or not (of course I must not leave out the lawyers either). They could have quit after Bon died or they could have reformed a different band. Again, these are their decisions. The audience only has authority over its own participation and support.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I always saw this as a songwriting partnership, though. I think it is always credited to the Young Brothers + either Scott or Johnson on whatever era songs they are.

9. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Why? Especially if it's it's something he, himself, want's the band to do.

This is a band that over the years has had three lead singers (although most aren't aware of the first one), five drummers and three bass players. Granted, the only constant's have been the Young brothers, but I'd say Angus was the more irreplaceable of the two. Mainly because he's such a focal point of the band.

That's not to take anything away from Malcom, though, whose understated guitar playing and songwriting have definitely been a large part of the band's sound. However, I'm pretty positive the band could continue just fine with his loss, much the same way they did with Bon Scott's.

Plus, as has already been pointed out, they have toured without him to negligible effect. I'm sure most folks who saw them on that tour didn't even realize it wasn't him.

I wish Malcolm well, and will continue to support the band as I've always done. If anyone is going to drop out on them at this point in time, I'd say you were likely never as much of a fan as you thought you were to begin with.

pablorkcz, Timmy84 and junk like this.
  10. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I agree. I do believe they actually do write that way though. There may be a few songs written solely by one member but I don’t think there’s many.

11. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Absolutely. Well said.

Rocketdog, Timmy84 and junk like this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

They should retire.... just my 2 Cents.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Exactly. Malcolm may well be the one urging the others to continue. He may feel the band is a bigger entity that should go on even without him. For all we know, the others wanted to call it a day and he convinced them otherwise.

I never have - and never will - understand the "Artist A should retire" comments. If you don't think AC/DC is still AC/DC without Malcolm Young, don't go to see them. Why should others be deprived of enjoyment because YOU don't care for a particular version of a band?

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

It's really quite evident to me that Malcolm has given the band his blessing to continue on without him. And that would be the greatest honor the band could bestow upon Malcolm -Imo

15. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The band will do whatever they see fit to do regardless of what you, I, or anyone else thinks and that's their right. Malcom is a friend and family to the band, he's still around to give his opinion on what they should do and outside of the band no one else's opinion means anything. They're one of the biggest rock bands around in terms of live pull and rightfully so, ACDC does ACDC better than anyone else, they're the real deal and you can't beat that. They rock like b*stards and that's all they do - but that's all they need to do and they're one of the best at doing it so god bless them I say.

And AC/DC used in the same sentence as 'poor taste'? The band responsible for 'Big Balls'? Surely not!

Rocketdog and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  16. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Angus has been saying for years, it cant be ACDC without Malcolm.

So maybe YOU cant say it, but Angus did.

Perhaps he was just blowing smoke, I dont know. Yes apparently they did tour without Malcolm once.

17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Well really most bands wouldn't walk around saying a band member was replaceable until the situtation actually presents itself.

18. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

They never said they are getting a replacement. They said they're going to meet up next month to jam without Malcolm and see if they can record some song ideas.

It's not in poor taste if Malcolm wants them to continue without him.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    junk likes this.
  19. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

As a band member, I'd like to think I am irreplaceable, but, hehe, of course I'm replaceable.... everybody is.

Well maybe not Freddie Mercury or Jimmy Page. But most of us are.

That being said, if Malcolm cannot recover to the point of contributing even in a studio situation, I do indeed hope Angus would live up to his statements and just call it a day.

J_D__ likes this.
  20. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

If I was alive back then and an AC/DC fan, I probably would have agreed with you. But in hindsight I think you were wrong. The difference between now and then is that they were in their prime when Back in Black came out. They've been past that prime for over three decades.

zen likes this.
  21. Except for Kiss, of course! They brag about everyone being replaceable!

Wombat Reynolds and Oliver like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Obviously 2 of the other members of Queen disagree about Freddie! :)

23. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

At the time I thought they should end after Bon's death, BIB changed my opinion but my relationship with the band finished with this album... perhaps the best.

24. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Sorry to hear of the confirmed news, but glad they are carrying on if it's the will of all involved.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

They did live shows without Malcom on the "Blow Up Your Video" tour. I've got several boots from that tour, and they still put on a great show. Malcom is very important, but if he and Angus already have a batch of songs far along, they can get Stevie back in to play rhythm on the record and for live shows. I'd rather they do this than nothing at all.

Rocketdog, junk and jeffgt14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.