Academy Records in NYC - Still buying CDs?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Marc Perman, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident Thread Starter

For about 20 years starting in 1990 until I left New York, Academy Records on W. 18th St. was my go-to store for buying, and selling, used CDs, primarily classical. On return trips I've been more interested in their Brooklyn vinyl store. My question is whether the CD section on 18th St. is anywhere close to what it used to be, and more importantly do they still pay anywhere near decent prices for used classical CDs? I have an upcoming trip and I'd bring a big box full with me, but if they're only paying $1 or $2 per disc it's not worth the trouble. I suspect I know the answer to this, but I thought I'd check.

2. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

I haven't been to Academy in the 90's so I can't compare. But they do have a large selection of CDs, especially Jazz and Classical. The rock section is by far the smallest section. Never sold anything to them, but from the looks and an overheard conversation, they tend to buy things thats either a bit obscure and of course Jazz and Classical.

3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Wouldn't calling them be a pretty simple and efficient way to determine their current policy?

4. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sure but not as useful as other collectors' experiences selling there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.