According to report, Amy Adams will play Janis Joplin in biopic. *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

Looks like a Janis Joplin biopic may finally become a reality. According to a report at Deadline Hollywood, Amy Adams will play the 1960s singer for the film that will be directed by Fernando Meirelles ('City Of God'). No studio has come knocking for the film yet, which is being produced by 'Twilight' producer Wyck Godfrey, but there have been several drafts of a script and the project has a high visibility in Hollywood. Tentative title: 'Janis Joplin: Get It While You Can.'

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well this will be interesting because Adams is literally 100 times more attractive than Joplin was. Will this be like Theron and Monster?

Karnak likes this.
  3. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Just what I was thinking.

4. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

mmm Amy Adams :love:

who do you think they should have cast as Janis?

5. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

If she were 40 years younger, Patty Duke. Mostly because I think she looks quite
    a bit like her.

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Was this the role that Lindsay Lohan had at one point?

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart Now Baby!"

The spitting image of Janis Joplin.

:D

Attached Files:

driverdrummer likes this.
  8. She's going to have to gain some weight.

9. bencasey

bencasey New Member

Brilliant casting. An absolutely gorgeous woman playing one of the most homely beasts of all time. :crazy:

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

That's harsh and have you every heard of makeup.

11. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

...kind of like George Clooney playing Quasimodo.

12. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

Better than Renee Zellweger...do you remember when she was attached to a Joplin project, seemingly for no other reason than her singing role in Chicago?

I'm holding out for Jane Krakowski myself. ;)

13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'd cast Nathan Lane as Janis....:laugh:

14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

This is good casting, I'd love to see this movie get made, lots of names attached to this one, for years.

15. bencasey

bencasey New Member

I couldn't stand Joplin or her horrible music and horrendous singing. We really need a movie about her why?

16. zebop

Jason looks around and says, "Anyone want to take this?" Ok I will. It's because Joplin was a seminal figure in rock music. She was immensely talented, a very quirky character and a stone-cold drunk/drug addict. She lived a story and a life that is stranger than Hollywood fiction. The question here isn't why she needs a movie, it's what's taken them so long.

Humbuster, Tim S and mace like this.
  17. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I understand where bencasey is coming from however, as although she was a indeed a seminal figure in rock history, she was nonetheless very much a figure of her era, and the passing of time has not been very kind to either her or her legacy.

Please feel free to flame away.

:hide:

18. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Agreed..but Cheap Thrills w/ Ball & Chain...wow, but I guess you had to be there.

19. zebop

I'll go along with a lot of that, time hasn't been kind to her work. The story itself is probably what's most interesting at this point

20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Lots of rumours of this movie going back at least 20 years. I think Pink and Melissa Etheridge were each attached at one point or another. I always got the impression that Joplin's sister was the problem as she's jealously guarded the estate.

I saw james brown live the year he died and he introduced his duet singer/wife/baby momma as having the part with the movie soon to be made. The only role she played after James died in 2006 was professional widow.

I liked the 30 Rock parody having to call the movie Janie Jimplor or something like that because of licensing.

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm not the world's biggest Janis Joplin fan, but the mean-spirited tone of this thread is very strange...:confused: Isn't there a Lindsay Lohan thread somewhere for you kids to be venomous in instead?

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There's false alarms on this film at least a dozen times since the late 80's.

This new rumour doesn't have a final script or financing.

I also wonder if there is that much interesting in such a bio pic as it's 15 years too late. JJ's work and life has little traction for those in their teens and early 20's and original fans get a seniors discount at the theater.

24. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I think Pink would have been an excellent choice. She's attractive without being too pretty and (more important) she has the voice for the role.

Both might apply to Melissa Etheridge as well, but I like Pink more. :D

25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Etheridge is too old now. Pink would've been an interesting choice, can she act?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.