Acoustic Recordings: Should I Use My Victrola?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spagelo, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spagelo

Spagelo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

So, I have an old Victor cabinet that I'm in the process of fixing. But I took out the engine, got busy, put it in a box, and have neglected using it.

Since then, I've gotten more serious into collecting shellac, and I've come across some really fine stuff. Some is acoustically recorded. They play fine and sound great on my Lenco. I'm gentle with them and use 2.5 to 3 mil diamond styli. I think this is fine with electrical, but I wonder about acoustic recordings. I heard somewhere once that acoustic - being played into a horn - sounds better "out of a horn". I'm skeptical on whether this holds water, but I'm hoping that maybe somebody more educated than me will help me out here.

Should I put my Victor machine back together and start playing my acoustically recorded plates on it? It will take awhile and I don't yet feel hard pressed to get around to it. But if it plays those records better, now that's a different story.

If I do, what are good alternatives to spooky steel needles that won't destroy my records with two plays? These are King Olivers and Jelly Rolls I'm talking about. I even recently found a Wolverine Orchestra record on Gennett. There's no way I'm risking damage to stuff like that.

I appreciate any advice and input.

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

It is somewhat unique to play an acoustic recording on an acoustic horn player - a complete recording and playback cycle with no electricity involved.

However, just as electricity was found to make a better recording, it can make for a better (and less damaging) playback.

The hurdle will be that there is no RIAA or other semi-standard EQ curve applied to the recording on the disc, only the response characteristics and resonances of the horn and cutter, so you will need a phono stage that has an appropriate and hopefully tweakable EQ designed to play back acoustic recordings.

Ideally you record them digitally and can experiment with what kind of sound shaping makes a recording sound best, while reducing the high frequencies where only surface noise lives. Your ears and brain are good at filling in the missing parts of the sound, letting you imagine the person shouting their singing into the horn.

The pitch will also be more stable on a turntable than a wind up clockwork mechanism. The recording speed will likely not be exactly 78 RPM, another area where digital can help if you don't have a pitch control on your turntable.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Robert C and Spagelo like this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Unlike all Gaul, my answer would be in only two parts.

First, yes, put that Victrola back into good working order and enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed. Change the steel needle after every play. I'd advise against anything else, as "permanent" needles tend to cause more damage than plain old steel. Listening to 78s on a period machine is a delightful experience, and those of us who collect old machines always shed at least a tear or two every time one of them gets gutted to become a bar or some ghastly shabby chic monstrosity. That said,

Second, don't make a regular practice of playing rarities in top-notch condition on an acoustic machine. (The exceptions would be Edison diamond discs and Pathe sapphire discs on original, properly restored Edison and Pathe players, respectively, but those are outside the scope of the present discussion.) The odd play on a vintage machine probably won't do substantial harm, but there's no question that steel needles tracking at forces measured in pounds rather than grams are not exactly kind to your disks. Instead, if you're really serious about 78s, outfit yourself with an electronic playback system that fits their requirements. Rather than reinvent my version of the wheel, I'll take the liberty of pointing you to some things I've already written on the subject:

78 RPM turntables (desirable characteristics and specific examples), a series of articles starting here: [TNT-Audio Vintage column] On an Overgrown Pathé - [English]

vertical vs. lateral recordings: [TNT-Audio Vintage column] On an Overgrown Pathé - [English]

review of the Graham Slee Accession phono preamp, which I consider a major advance for electrical reproduction of acoustic 78s: [Review] Graham Slee Accession phono stage

needle types for acoustic machines: [TNT-Audio Vintage column] On an Overgrown Pathé

For play on my acoustic machines, I keep a stack of what a friend calls "steel needle records": enjoyable, reasonably common records in decent but "used" condition. No need to worry about damaging a pristine rarity, and lots of fun to play.

As an aside, what model Victrola do you have? That may affect which records you want to consider playing on it. Also, please note, you'll almost certainly need to have the reproducer rebuilt for good results.

Robert C and Spagelo like this.
  4. Spagelo

Spagelo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

VV-XI

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Good choice for acoustic recordings. The XI was a "bread and butter" machine for Victor, a nice cabinet model with a strong motor priced low enough that it was affordable to a large market. Naturally, that means it's not a scarce model today, but it also means replacement parts are relatively easy to get and it's a good, solid performer. If it's in oak, in the current market it's worth a bit more than in mahogany, as the latter was the more popular wood "way back when" (and still is my personal preference--always the contrarian!). It came with the Exhibition model reproducer at first and then, eventually, with the Victrola No. 2; either will give good results, and each has its adherents. Whichever you have, be sure to have it worked over with new gaskets, and have the motor cleaned and lubricated. If you plan to do much of the work yourself, you might find this book helpful: https://www.amazon.com/Compleat-Talking-Machine-Collectors-Phonographs/dp/1886606226 Good luck!

6. I have a Victor VV-IX tabletop model and I am amazed at how good it sounds. I bought a card of Duo Tone Miro Point needles years ago. They are supposed to play 1,000 records, but none have ever lasted that long. Maybe it's their age. I have had no wear problems with any shellac records, but actually saw the needle turn red while playing a vinyl or styrene 78 from the late-50's. I definitely would not risk any valuable 78's on it.
    The spring-wound motors are governor controlled and have rock-steady speed. With most of the quality acoustic phonographs, there is a variable speed control on them. Later ones like my Victrola actually have a speed viewing window with what I would describe is like a speedometer in a car. It is accurate and I have tested it with a strobe disc. Victor knew what it was doing.
    As far as what something would sound like varies with every phonograph. Table models like mine have small internal horns, the upright floor-standing players have larger horns and the consoles often have massive horns. Edison Diamond Disc players had a great sound, even with acoustic records. The one that blew me away was a Victor Orthophonic console. It sounded as good to me, if not better than the early electric sound reproduction phonos.
    Also, with the horns, they may not be up to what they could be. If they have any leaks, sound suffers. Here's what a guy posted on You Tube:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.