Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

In my case the flac exists 5x but in three different locations. Different states actually.

I wouldn't be happy to lose the physical discs but if I did, the hi-res flac would survive.

BTW: My heart goes out tonight to the folks in LA who have lost their homes due to the fires - very sad stuff.

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

What didn't you like about the SACD?

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

What possible difference could a new mastering make? This was one of the best recorded albums ever. It's not as if theres a poor sounding version out.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Sterile. It didn't sound natural I guess. It's a trademark I picked up on the 2011 remasters as well. Probably coming down to personal tastes and
    i'm sure I'm in the minority on this one :laugh:
    The 5.1 is where the magic lies for this one.

Blair G. likes this.
  5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The quadraphonic mix is where the magic lies.

The quad mix on the Blu-ray could use a new mastering like the quad on the new best of the Doors.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The quad mixes of both DSOTM and WYWH are definitely where the magic lies! The Best of the Doors quad mix on the Blu-ray from The Singles set is excellent. I much prefer it over the Audio Fidelity SACD.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  7. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Apparently the CD layer of the 2003 SACD is not so good.

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Incredibly happy about the first two Hendrix albums, these have always needed to be mastered properly on digital. Hope Electric Ladyland will follow!

9. Say It Right

Wouldn't know/wouldn't care. Only access the SACD here. Would imagine that the 2011 redbook would serve just fine for those without access to hi rez.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

They already have been mastered properly - original Reprise non-RE-1 copies.

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The EQ on them isn't great. I have to use SH's recommended settings on AYE and it still sounds average at best. Electric Ladlyland has never sounded even half way decent on digital, there isn't an easy EQ fix for the non-RE1 US CDs because the EQ varies from track to track.

12. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

You asked I answered...

13. Say It Right

Not really. When you respond by beginning with "apparently," it means that you're not too sure.

Time to move on...

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Right-t-o...

Say It Right likes this.
  15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I agree about WYWH, I think the SACD sounds terrible.
    I’ll be forced to buy the new one if the SQ is improved

hi_watt and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  16. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I very recently got my first SACD from AP. It is Doors' Soft Parade and I am simply blown away from the richness and the depth of the sound. This is one of my greatest surprises in this field of 5.1 reissues of classic recordings. I am most excited of what these folks are able to extract from the old tapes. On basis of that experience I am not only looking forward to Hendrix but also will check out for the Floyd stuff being announced. I have both Immersion boxes and I am very happy with WYWH in 5.1 but I always thought DSOTM is a bit questionable. I dont really agree in the way Time is arranged for instance.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  17. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

The WYWH stereo SACD layer is my preferred mastering for that album. I can see people not liking it but calling it terrible? I’d hate to hear the systems those are being played back on.

18. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

That's the way the master tapes sound. If you're expecting some miracle with these, you are going to be very disappointed.

19. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Compare it to the 5.1. As Fremer noted the stereo master tape must be worn out.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Worn tape and a modern, state of the art mastering, or original transfer done in the dawn of digital, using 40-year old ADC technology. Take your pick.

In any case, calling the SACD terrible is terrible in itself.

Lucidae, Merrick and George P like this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I don't believe that, the best vinyl (US or UK original pressings or Classic Records vinyl for ABAL) sound much better. That thin sound permeates through all 3 of the non RE-1 CDs.

The remastered stereo vinyl also has some body even if they are poor in other aspects. I'm not expecting miracles, I know what these recordings sound like. A bit of gentle EQ, no compression and from the master tapes is all they need.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  22. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The US/UK original pressings of AYE? sound rather poor. The nonRE-1 stereo CD and French mono LP blow them away drastically. I'd like to know what copies you are listening to.

And that is exactly what they got....when they were released on CD by Reprise in 1986.

23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

If the stereo master tapes for WYWH is worn out, why in heavens sake don't use a safety copy?

24. George P

George P Way Down Now

Having grown up on the original USA 5 track, the Wish You Were Here SACD didn't grab me at first, but I like it a lot now. The EQ seems natural and balanced to me.

Merrick likes this.
  25. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Whilst we can all speculate like crazy (well that is part and parcel of what forums are about :)) I think it's quite significant that a Hendrix album is making it to SA-CD after all this time. (I know we've had Machine Gun and People, Hell & Angels, but this is an original).

As for Floyd: I'm assuming there must be a compelling reason for doing DSOTM & WYWH given they must be the two most heavily reissued albums in their discography? I'd have been a bit more excited for Meddle & Animals but hey, maybe they'll come at a later date...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.