Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

For AYE I listen to a needle drop of the stereo remastered vinyl, this is one of the better of the three original studio album remasters and is better than the original US pressings which as you say are poor, though it isn't without its flaws. I owned the Barclay A2/B1 and the Moebius pressings (do a search I sold them in the classifieds), I am really only speaking of stereo here since there is no mono non RE-1 CD of AYE.

I stand by what I said the EQ on the original CDs ranges from average to poor (Electric Ladyland), they need more mastering. If you can point me to a concrete source that says they are from the master tapes I'll believe it (with all due respect to SH, I would not consider him an authority since he hasn't remastered any Hendrix). Until then I have only read best guesses.

jhm likes this.
  2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

How is the Blu-ray better than the AF SACD for best of the Doors?

3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The mastering is better. I think they both sound really good but I agree with the majority, the Blu-ray does sound better which is hard to believe because the SACD does sound damn good.

dee likes this.
  4. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

That's surprising that something is better than Steve's mastering.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I did a direct comparison between The Best of the Doors AF SACD and the Blu-ray from The Singles set. It's been awhile but if I recall the Blu-ray quad version has more depth, soundstage (width) and the bass is a bit more prominent.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  6. Hymie the Robot

Just talking about the quad. Pretty sure he didn't remaster the quad like he did the stereo version's of the Best of...on the SACD.

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Steve mastered both the stereo and quad mixes. Quote below:

I mastered both the stereo version and the quadraphonic version with Stephen Marsh and it was really a blast. Always an honor to work on the Doors, their office is always helpful, enthusiastic and eager to get it done and released. That is much appreciated, believe me.

8. Hymie the Robot

I think I remember reading about him finding the best versions of the stereo tracks and simply transferring the quad master reel over to dsd. Thanks, I guess I need to refresh my memory.

9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Steve's praising working with The Doors here is a bit of a contrast to his comments on the Audio Fidelity Gold disc of The Soft Parade. When someone started a thread on that disc Steve recommended getting the Analogue Productions version instead because the gold disc was tampered with and made louder to please Ray. While I do own and enjoy the gold version it does seem a bit loud and bright compared to Steve's other work.

10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

To summarize the thread from QuadraphonicQuad it's a matter of personal preference. The SACD has more emphasis on midrange, the Blu-ray just the opposite.

jhm likes this.
  11. The Soft Parade SACD is excellent, one of the best Doors' SACD.

Kalli likes this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Definitely a matter of preference for sure. Reading through the QQ thread just now and many prefer the Blu-ray over the SACD.

My thoughts on comparison between The Best of the Doors AF SACD and Blu-ray are in post #149.

The Doors - The Singles (2CD/4.0 Blu-Ray set) coming soon!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  13. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

Both Pink Floyd re-issues are OOP on SACD and second hand copies are expensive(even ridiculously so). Both are perennially popular albums and will make money for Floyd, AP and anyone involved in potential royalties....why not release it as opposed to keeping it locked away so no one else can have a copy.

goodiesguy, bobcat, snkcube and 3 others like this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. The AP WYWH SACD had a somewhat limited run but not sure of the number. The DSOTM SACD would be a different story as there has to be thousands of copies out there. For years it was being sold for under $15 and appeared that it'd never go OOP. I'd guess that some that bought the first DSOTM SACD didn't even know it was an SACD or had a 5.1 mix.

c-eling, Wolfspaw and Hymie the Robot like this.
  15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

And when they listened to the CD layer they must have wondered what all the fuss was about. :doh:

zinan and Musicisthebest like this.
  16. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I read on The Elusive Disc website that the 2 Hendrix titles were being release in August 2018. So we have a bit of a wait for those.

17. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

AUGUST! :mudscrying:

Jimi Bat and bluejimbop like this.
  18. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

If they're really not including the UK-only tracks as a bonus they have lost a sale.

Imagine70 likes this.
  19. AP has historically been pretty stingy when it comes to including bonus tracks on their SACDs. They have a philosophy of releasing albums as they were first made.

Kalli likes this.
  20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Additionally, is there even room for the UK tracks given that both the mono and stereo mixes are included?

The best approach would be for AP to release the UK version of AYE in addition to the US.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Are you certain it’s AP’s decision to be stingy with bonus tracks?

22. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

It's been common knowledge here for a long time now because there was controversy based on conflicting info. Typically, when the 1997 remasters came out, EH claimed that they used the original master tapes "for the first time ever". People wondered how that could be possible since the original CD's didn't sound much different. An engineer involved with the original discs (can't remember who...Lee Herschberg?) insisted that they used the original masters, and Steve weighed in in agreement based on what he knew as well. After the stereo album was mixed, the tapes were sent directly the USA, which was the intended market. The album didn't come out in stereo in the UK until many years later, and even then it was cobbled together from whatever sources they could grab.

I agree that the Sony vinyl pressing sounds very nice. Hopefully the SACD's will use a similar approach. (The stereo portion, anyway.)

dee likes this.
  23. You can infer from the hundreds of SACDs they've released in the past compared to the other audiophile labels they don't use bonus tracks, unless there are extraordinary circumstances. Various other labels have made a similar decision, while others have not.

Some people prefer including extra tracks, others want a release exactly as the album was first put out.

Kalli and George P like this.
  24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

AP did add bonus tracks to their Stevie Ray Vaughan reissues, to match the Legacy edition tracklists.

25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I thought the mastering of the SACD and Blu Ray were the same?

wayneklein likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.