Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the SACD from Amazon US and as they cover the import charges at checkout it was £34 delivered to the UK. Got it five days after the release date. Not sure if it is still available there though.

Mr. Explorer and AFCBRINGWOOD like this.
  2. AFCBRINGWOOD

AFCBRINGWOOD Forum Resident

Yes, the import charges will be added on to the advancement fee. I ordered two items from Acoustic Sounds a few months ago and the FedEx advancement fee was £12. The other charges were added on to give a total of around £27 (for one LP and a SACD). It's too much for me when you consider the shipping charges.

Mr. Explorer and David67 like this.
  3. AFCBRINGWOOD

Not your fault, it's an easy thing to miss!

Mr. Explorer and Musicisthebest like this.
  4. AFCBRINGWOOD

Thanks. It looks like the price has gone up. When I get to checkout, the full cost is $56.35, almost double the cost Acoustic Sounds sells it for. I think I may just go with Import CDs as has been suggested.

5. Coming from AP, my guess is newly remastered on DSOTM. WYWH may be a straight reissue.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Just got my AXIS BOLD AS LOVE in the mail. This is how you do a reissue. The last copy of this anyone will ever need in the digital domain, for sure.

Absolute perfection. Stereo and Mono mixes in one place, well mastered, stellar packaging.

What's not to LOVE?

7. Full Circle

Full Circle Forum Resident

Just checked Music Direct and they have AYE with a Nov. 30th release date. Don’t think it’s on Amazon yet.

8. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Just got an email from AS, looks to be the case with WYWH.

9. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

That's awesome to hear because WYWH sounded great.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  11. Any idea about DSOTM?

George P likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What makes you guess that about DSOTM?

13. The original DSOTM SACD is the most common SACD ever made - it was meant to sell to mainstream music consumers back when the labels wanted SACD to replace CD. There are likely tens of thousands of DSOTM SACDs floating around.

Reissuing that version makes little sense from Analogue Productions' perspective. The remaining SACD clientele are educated consumers. AP isn't getting big sale numbers reissuing the original multichannel SACD.

14. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I got wywh on bluray for $ 15 on fleabay

Same w aqualung by tull
    Dsotm on sacd used $30

bherbert likes this.
  15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I have the first WYWH SACD, but I would have been suckered in with new artwork. Guess I saved 35 bucks.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think you overestimate the education of SACD clientele. I’m amazed at little many folks here and other audiophile sites know.

AP will probably have a license to sell something 5,000 units. They should have no problem selling the many of the old mastering - particularly if someone has one of the old SACDs with a problematic hub.

More importantly I don’t see Pink Floyd allowing a remaster for a reissue label.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not really. I'm hoping the stereo mix has been remastered and not a straight rerelease of the original DSOTM SACD. We'll have to wait till Acoustic Sounds lists it on it's site.
    Is the WYWH the Blu-ray from the Immersion set or an unauthorized version known to being sold on eBay?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  18. WYWH was originally released by AP and it’s my opinion that it is definitive. What more could be done? DSOTM was released by Sony and there had been substantial improvement in technology since the original DSOTM SACD was released 15 years ago. I can only imagine that it would be remastered by Chad before he released it on his label.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. This! Which I saw after my reply. Thank you, @PhantomStranger :tiphat:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Disagree. They were trusted to remaster WYWH. It’s all but a forgone conclusion that DSOTM will get the same treatment and there will likely be more AP SACD in the future too.

21. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Same here. I was hoping it would be a priced-down version in a super jewel case.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  22. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

I remember an interview maybe with someone at AP I think that said that they sold thousands of WYWH Sacd’s. It was limited by time not the number of copies. This one is quite pricey used but should drop like a rock now. There are always contrarians but I love the 5.1.

I might have been tempted for a super jewel box version but I am definitely interested in the AP DSTM and if they were using the old 15+ year old master it could come out at the same time........So what’s the hold up?(rhetorical question could be anything really )

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Except they weren’t trusted to remaster it. James Guthrie, who is for all intents Pink Floyd’s mastering engineer, mastered this album along with all the other 2011 remasters. And for what it is worth, Guthrie mastered the 2003 DSOTM SACD and his masters were used for all the recent vinyl releases. If there is a remaster it is unlikely anyone other than Guthrie will do it.

24. I know he was responsible the 2003 DSOTM. I didn’t realize that he mastered WYWH for the AP SACD. Whatever happens I’m my hope that he does indeed remaster DSOTM again for the refreshed AP release. Why do we need a clone of the 2003? There are a million of them in circulation and as I mentioned, with the newer technology, it woukd be an improvement in SQ. That’s the only reason I want to see it happen.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

I don’t know that technology has really progressed that much since 2003, especially for DSD. Reports about the 2011 remasters said the entire back catalog was remastered at that time. The general belief is those 2011 masters are the source for the vinyl reissue campaign (though I’ve never seen this confirmed) and it is likely those would be used for any SACD release. I doubt Guthrie would remaster DSOTM yet again if he just remastered it in 2003 and again in 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.