Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Sony's Austria plant also press single-layer SACDs.

art likes this.
  2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Completely agree. In the case of the recent Hendrix live release "Machine Gun", the redbook mastering was dynamically compressed while the redbook layer on the AP SACD was not. That was reason enough to get the SACD if you're a fan. This was probably the exception, not the rule, but redbook layers aren't always equal.

3. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The Machine Gun Hendrix SACD sounds great IMO! Looking forward to the Hendrix releases !!!

art likes this.
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Mono and Stereo! Oh Yeah!

5. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I'll be all over Wish You Were Here because I never got it back when the other one came out. How about The Division Bell, though? I'd love to see a reissue of that because the 5.1 mix is only available on a dodgy DVD-Audio disc that now costs upwards of $70 on the used market. :D

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Not sure why anyone would question why someone would want just the redbook layer instead of hocus pocus hi-res - the two titles mentioned have never had their mono mixes released digitally.

tmtomh, Mr. Explorer and mmars982 like this.
  7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

No SACD player here, but went for the improved mastering on the Redbook part of the hybrid SACD release of Machine Gun. It won't be around forever.

Mr. Explorer, jhm, bruce2 and 2 others like this.
  8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

So both Hendrix albums would be 1 disc or 2 discs each?

Mono/Stereo on the same album would be about 78-80 mins, which might barely fit onto a CD, for the SACD it might need separate discs like the 72 minute Blonde on Blonde.

Bowie Heathen, Who Tommy, Yellow Brick and other information online is a bit conflicting. Some places say 74 mins is the limit, while a couple 80 minute classical SACD discs do exist. Also depends on which layers are used.

9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It depends on the CHANNELS used and how well they compress to lossless with DST. The Columbia Blonde on Blonde set had hi res stereo and 5.1 so it stretched to 2 discs whereas the MFSL was just stereo and fit in one

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I do own a couple of classical SACD Hybrid discs of over 80 minutes. The Analogue Productions SACD of Mahler Symphony 3 by Mehta contains the entire symphony of over 90 minutes on one SACD layer, while it is split into two discs for the Redbook layer. The longest regular CD I own is a new disc of Schubert piano sonatas by Zimerman. 82 minutes and 8 seconds!

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
    S.A.C.D.

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

LEONPROFF likes this.
  13. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

DSOTM and WYWH again??

At least this will make the last WYWH SACD less expensive for those who missed it.

goodiesguy, tmtomh and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Hendrix is an instant purchase for me.

15. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

The Hendrix titles are long over due and VERY welcome. However, since both the Pink Floyd titles have already been released, and so much of their catalog is still unavailable on SACD, why not choose titles like "Animals", "The Wall", or any of their other titles????

goodiesguy, Mr. Explorer, art and 3 others like this.
  16. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

There was news about a 5.1 Wall release several years ago and then things went quiet.
    I remember reading that the master tapes weren't in great shape (due to the type used in that era) and had to be baked in order to read them properly. Were they unusable? Nothing else has been reported as far as I know.

YOSO likes this.
  17. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I used The Wall as an example. In comparison to the two titles from the band we already have, why not do some of the other titles that Pink Floyd fans would gobble up in a heartbeat?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

There is no mention of 45rpm. Usually, AP makes it known when titles are being released on 45rpm vinyl. So, just like the original UHQR's the new titles will also be 33rpm.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I would think Pink Floyd’s The Wall would be an awesome 5.1 release. With all the various things going on like the Dive bomber or the Toni Teneal talking in the bathroom etc etc. I would even think Momentary Lapse of Reason would be a good 5.1 candidate.

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A stereo and 5.1 of Blonde on Blonde can fit on 1 disc.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It is?

22. +
    Will take the US art/tracklisting,
    giving up the UK art[luv the US cover too!!]/tracklisting, for...
    US "SMASH HITS"
    as soon as possible w/mono "Stone Free"!

:angel:

23. Redearth

Redearth Forum Resident

Will the 2ch versions of the PF SACD's be remastered again or will they use the old dsd files?

24. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Good question! Acoustic Sounds did the SACD of Wish You Were Here, so that could be just a repressing. Not sure about what they would use for Dark Side. There were adds back in 1998 or so that an all tube remastering of DSOTM by Acoustic Sounds that never appeared, so don’t get your hopes to high.

Mr. Explorer and pfausto like this.
  25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'd like to see that someday then, to date the only single-disc SACDs of that title have been stereo-only

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.