Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yes the CD layer on "Machine Gun" was Dynamically Compromised by a fair amount. My feeling is they would not have sold one less copy if they had done it in same manner as the SACD layer. Stupidity will always reign :(

jhm likes this.
  2. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I am confused by the statements of exactly which Machine Gun disc is being talked about where the dynamic compression is concerned.
    Right now, if I understand this correctly, is that the Analogue Productions SACD has 2 layers, one SACD, and the other layer, the redbook. Now is this Dual-layered SACD disc's redbook layer dynamically compressed as compared to it's SACD layer? If not, then I assume the standard CD release by Experience Hendrix is the one that is said to be compressed comparatively? Any clear answers will be very appreciated, Thanks! :righton:

3. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Apologies if already covered - anyone know best way to buy these SACDs if one resides in UK?

4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Importcds.

OptimisticGoat and raphph like this.
  5. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Thanks - these are in $ however - I was hoping to avoid customs somehow

6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Your last statement is correct. The standard "Machine Gun" CD is compressed, the CD layer on the hybrid SACD is not (nor is the SACD layer). The SACD has full dynamics on both the SACD and CD layer.

7. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

The hybrid SACDs for both Machine Gun, and Wish You Were Here are unique and less compressed masterings on the CD layer in comparison with their regular non-hybrid CD version.

8. Heavy Music

Crystal clear jhm! Thank You!

Mr. Explorer and jhm like this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Just to clarify, Acoustic Sounds is a store. They don't do remasters, but rather, they sell them. Maybe you are thinking of Analog Productions? They are the label that is remastering and reissuing these new Hendrix and Pink Floyd titles.

bluejimbop likes this.
  10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

But isn't APO owned by Acoustic Sounds? So they are the same company, one label and the retail outlet?

supermd likes this.
  11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Two different business entities, both owned by Chad Kassem.

Not privy to the exact corporate structure.

12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

You are right.

I usually order 3-4 cds per order and they always come under the radar. But it is not guaranteed...

JPC.de is also a good source for such items in Germany.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

In the Acoustic Sounds News download it shows stereo and 5.1 with no mention of the 4.0 quad mix for either DSOTM or WYWH. The WYWH SACD will most likely be the same as the earlier released SACD. I wonder if the WYWH SACD packaging will be the same as the original SACD. The DSOTM SACD will be interesting to see if it differs from the original SACD from 2003.
    Division Bell was released on DVD-V not DVD-A. The 5.1 mix is DD or DTS lossy not hi-res. I don't think the Division Bell DVD-V is "dodgy" as all and sounds quite good. There is also a 5.1 mix of Division Bell on Blu-ray as part of the Immersion set. I have both the DVD-V and the Blu-ray and the Blu-ray does sound better.

DVD-V Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
    Immersion Set Pink Floyd - The Division Bell 20th. Anniversary De Luxe Box

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Mr. Explorer, Linger63 and therockman like this.
  14. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

The only multi-channel SACD's from Pink Floyd anyone really wants are surely Animals and The Wall now...not WYWH and DSOTM again

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree that Animals and The Wall would be awesome if released on SACD with 5.1 mixes. I could see some wanting the APO WYWH SACD being rereleased as it's OOP. It's hard to find and if one does find a copy it's going for big bucks.

ti-triodes, art and Fred68 like this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'd rather have a set with just Obscured/Atom quad/Meddle/Moon quad/Wish quad.

Pretty sure all of those exist and all are buried in box sets. Waters(?) may have been the one ot approving OBC/full Meddle 5.1 mixes from getting released.

17. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Has Super HiRez ever had multi-channel downloads?

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I really wouldn't know as I've never downloaded any music. Just a shiny disc type of guy :).

19. This.

20. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

That's great! This way, MOFI will be able to license them all next for their UD1S 45 rpm series. Perhaps AP will add Abraxas, Sunday at the Village Vanguard, The Nightfly and Bridge Over Troubled Water to their future roster of 33 1/3 rpm UHQRs.

Mr. Explorer and bluejimbop like this.
  21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

And if they (AP) do, just like sheep to the slaughter, we will all buy them once again. LOL. :p ;) :agree: :sigh: :crazy: :yikes:

22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I wonder if the mono Are You Experienced SACD will use the same crappy source as the Sony/Legacy mono LP a few years back.

23. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Probably. That's what I'm expecting, anyway. It won't be worth the money if they do. Anyone would be better off finding an original Reprise CD (and the "Mono Masters" bootleg or Prof Stoned deluxe for the mono mix).

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. Heavy Music

Excuse my ignorance, but there is a "mono" original Reprise CD?

25. mongo

mongo Senior Member

That's right. I forgot you were raised in the Amish country :D

Fred68 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.