Acoustic Sounds - Shipping Prices

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Dazz, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Acoustic Sounds? I ordered a 200gm LP from them last week and chose what I thought would be the cheapest shipping option (it doesn’t actually say what the prices are – just that it will be based on weight).

I then received a confirmation email stating that shipping, via standard airmail to Australia (non-trackable), would be $37.00!!!! I quickly responded to ask if they could offer an alternative. I heard nothing from them for 4 days. I just received an email to say that the item has shipped. So I’m stuck with a $37.00 shipping fee.

Considering the shipping for the Neil Young box set was $22.99, I think this is ludicrous.

Am I wrong?

2. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Well... how much should it cost to ship a vinyl record around the globe via multiple handlers, depots, etc? Not saying $37.00 is right, just curious because I know it would cost me a wedge to ship something that size TO the USA from this part of the world. And I would be packing to make sure as hell that record was protected.

3. Dazz

Well I've bought a lot of vinyl from eBay sellers in the US and the most I've ever paid is $30.00 for a double 200gm set and it was packed beautifully.

Then again, the least I've paid is $7.00 and it was packed atrociously.

I just think that for $37.00, the item should at least be trackable.

4. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I agree. When you receive it - before opening it make a note of the package dimensions and physical weight, also mode of transport and do an online quote, see if it tallys up. Of course a certage cost would be for the packaging itself and maybe even the labour to handle it.

5. Oddio

Oddio Forum Resident

I contacted AS about shipping to Canada after I tried to order on the website. The website indicated a very high shipping rate, thus my call to a live body at AS. I was not happy with the demeanor of the guy I called, so I never did purchase anything from AS. I have been quite happy with Elusive Disc ever since. YMMV :wave:

6. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Regular airmail from US to Australia is about US$12 for one LP and US$15 for 3LP's on average - using a standard mailer.

Acoustics Sounds (who I have also bought from) will package it in their custom 'rolls royce' quality mailers which almost guarantee no damage. They are really strong. Having said that they will weigh more. The last time I bought from Acoustics Sounds (in September 2007!) I bought these 6 Ryan Adams LP's:

Ryan Adams Easy Tiger $ 12.99
    Ryan Adams Set of 5 Titles 180 Gram Vinyl $ 64.98

Shipping at that time cost me US$48 (so worked out at US$8 each LP) so I think the trick is to buy a few in one hit. As I remember they did also check with me the shipping cost before sending the items. Plus I also phoned them up as a double check. The order was also definitely trackable as I just dug out the old email which had a link to the shipping courier.

Hope that helps?

7. Dazz

Thanks Mark. I was going to order one or two other items but decided against it. Bad move I guess.

8. imarcq

If you do this - DON'T do it using Australia Post Calculator - else it will probably calculate it for even more money! - our postage to USA from Australia is horrendously expensive for the exact same weights as coming here from USA. But as a ROUGH guide this is what it costs us to ship to US.

As a rough shipping estimate/price guide for Oz to USA:

1LP = 500g (1.10 LB) = A$15.30 (US$14.76)
    2LP to 3LP = 750g (1.65 LB) = A$21.30 (US$19.16)
    3LP to 4LP = 1000g (2.20 LB) = A$27.30 (US$24.56)
    4LP to 5LP = 1250g (2.75 LB) = A$33.30 (US$29.96)
    5LP to 6LP = 1500g (3.30 LB) = A$39.30 (US$35.36)

Go direct to the USPS website (if thats who the carrier is) and work it out from there in US dollar. I'm sure this is pretty obvious but no harm in mentioning :)

http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mode=Intl_Single&CID=10013

9. imarcq

No worries. I think rule No 1 for Australians is always buy a few. Especially if a courier has a minimum charge.

I've found that Barnes and Noble are very well priced for both vinyl LP's and shipping which starts at about US$8 for one LP. You can buy several for under US$20 total shipping as each extra one only costs about US$2 each. BUT they don't ship in mailers - but a in a box full of plastic bubbles (like Amazon). And it takes about 10-14 days. Having said that I've been very lucky with minimal damage - and have got stuff so much cheaper than buying it locally - even allowing for shipping. And if you become a member you can save even more. Australia is bad news for affordable vinyl! I recently got the Neil Young Massey Hall from B&N at about HALF the cost of getting it here at Red Eye in Sydney. So its worth the wait :)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com

10. Dazz

Yeah I know. It's a shame we have to buy from OS. I'd love to buy more local. I know what you mean about Amazon LP packing (which I've commented on before). But it's so cheap, and they're so willing to accept returns, that it's hard to pass up.

Thanks for the tip on Barnes and Noble. :righton:

11. Dazz

I still can't figure out how the NY box set was shipped so cheaply. It was triple boxed, sent by UPS and arrived 3 business days after I received shipping confirmation.

Maybe the extra shipping was built into the price of the set.

12. imarcq

Could be? My Massey Hall cost me $32 including shipping from B&N - it's on sale here at Red Eye for $55!!! No wonder we don't buy Australian :realmad:

13. Dazz

And yet I was able to pick up Axis: Bold as Love in mono on 200 gram from Classic for $35.00 at Redeye. New.

Weird.

14. imarcq

Yes I guess its swings and roundabouts. I think the trick is to do your research first.

I went to the Parramatta record fair on Sunday and picked up the Sundazed Dylan Blonde on Blonde sealed mono 2LP set for A$35.

The B&N price is US$32.53 including shipping (A$35.63). So not much in it BUT Its around $50 elsewhere in Australia.

Buying direct from Sundazed by mail order it would have cost me US$28.98 plus a hefty US$19.64 shipping - so thats US$48.62 (A$53.25!!!) [But they do have a 20% off sale on at the mo]

Those Beatles Stereo Remasters CD are still ludicrously expensive from $350 - $400!!! I've still yet to see a Mono set on these shores (my own one from Amazon UK excepted!!)

15. Dazz

I think the NY Archives blu-ray takes the cake. I saw it behind the counter at Redeye and was told it was $650. I went home and found it on eBay, from Melbourne, for $300 with free postage. I snapped that up straight away.

16. imarcq

lol. I think they do try it on there for sure. To quote Ricky Gervais in UK comedy series 'Extras'....

"Is e 'aving a laff?" hahaha

17. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

The USPS changed the rules in one of the 2008 rate increases; if the item shipped airmail is over 4 lbs., it has to go Global Priority Mail or Global Express Mail.

There simply isn't a USPS "normal" Airmail over 4 lbs anymore...and the heavier weights of vinyl itself now makes it tough.

18. Dazz

Well I got my package yesterday, so no complaints about delivery times.

Item was packed really well, so no complaints about the packing.

Postage "stamp" on the box stated $36.20, so they aren't ripping me off (except for 80 cents - should I make a claim? Just kidding).

Next time I'll be more careful, ask for shipping options first, and probably order more than one item at a time to spread out the fees.

At least I now have a Classic Records 200gm Led Zeppelin III. That does make it all worthwhile. :righton:

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Because of the high shipping costs (not only for heavy LPs, but also for CDs), I order from Acoustic Sounds only when the items are not available elsewhere.

Currently, I'm waiting for the latest AP Blue Note SACDs to become available from other sellers. Their lower price and "normal" shipping rates easily cut the total purchase cost of 2-3 discs by half.

The AS packaging standard is indeed perfect, but when the shipping cost is 3 times as high as other stores, even with the cheapest option, it becomes ridiculous.

20. Dazz

The title I ordered was not available anywhere else (that I know of) in brand new condition. Apart from eBay of course, but some of the prices on eBay were ridiculous, considering it was available from Acoustic Sounds.

I will probably only go back to them for something I can't find elsewhere.

At least I have a nice LP mailer to re-use. :thumbsup:

21. ronankeane

ronankeane Forum Resident

I ordered about 5 LPs from them 2 years ago and the amount they charged me (for postage to Ireland) was the exact cost of shipping plus $10. I emailed them twice to ask was that correct, and they never replied (apart from the auto-reply telling me to expect a reply within 24 hours.) Since then I switched to Elusive Disc.

I note that cduniverse is cheap for vinyl and for international shipping - anyone have any experience of their packing?

22. easyge

easyge Senior Member

You won't beat the packaging and options companies like Elusive, Acoustic and Music Direct offer. They are pros when it comes to packaging. When buying expensive vinyl, I prefer to buy from them vs CD Universe as you can request to have the vinyl shipped outside the covers to prevent seam splits. That really matters to me. I once forgot to mention that in an order with Elusive Disc and the 45 RPM Adderley disc came with a nice seam split and it was packaged very tightly. On the other hand, Cd Universe's customer service is excellent, but reshipping vinyl is not high on my priority list.

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

24. Dazz

I actually had a look a few days ago on Amazon. I went through the checkout process to see if Acoustic Sounds would deliver to me through Amazon. No go unfortunately.

25. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

No you're not wrong, I just realised I paid $25 to ship an SACD of "The Nat King Cole Story" to Australia! Waaay too much! And I selected what I thought was their cheapest option, (which apparently I was supposed to select to get a shipping discount, as per the email they sent me days before ordering).

No total on checkout either.. What a ripoff! I'll keep using elusive disc from now on, never had problems with them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.