Acoustic Sounds taking pre-orders on Dark Side SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd

floyd Senior Member

it is like the coding on cds; aad, add, & ddd wasn't the last "d" on a compact disc superfluous?

2. Angel

Angel New Member

Re: Re: The term "remastering"

quote:
    Originally posted by Steve Hoffman
    Well, if something exists on the medium already, a second version would be a remastering I guess. If it is a first time release on a new medium, the mastering/remastering credit would have to depend on what was being used as a source. (Duh). I've used them both interchangeably over the years for one reason or another...

The first use of the word "remaster" came from the RCA-Victor Vintage Series of LP's in the early 1960's; Dan Lipskin the engineer used the word to represent his remastering of the original 78 RPM Victor metal parts which were technically mastered live as they were being recorded....Basically, he filtered them and compressed the living hell out of them, thereby unintentionally setting the tone for all the great modern remasterings to follow, LOL!..... Sigh.

Don't forget, the RCA Vintage Series mastering person added ECHO to the sound of the original 78's and then they were thrown away. All in a day's work. :(

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

These terms are getting out of hand a bit. Didn't the adds for the 'Saturday Night Fever' DVD say something like 'Digitally Remastered & Remixed' (in that order)...

Todd

4. thomh

thomh New Member

QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Hoffman
    Would a cow lick Lot's wife?
    Does the Pope wear a skirt?
    Does a bear take a bathroom break in the woods?
    [/QUOTE]

Aha! So YOU were The Unknown Comic on the Gong Show! I thought I remember seeing some curly waves of hair through that paper bag.....

Thom

5. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I've got mine pre-orderd already. It still has not been sufficiently clarified, however, as to whether the stereo mix on the Redbook and SACD layer is the original mix or a re-mix. Obviously, the 5.1 mix is brand spankin' new.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

IMO (or in Gary Land, whichever you prefer), "Remastered" these days means modernizing the music to the '00's (zero) standard. It's really a marketing tool. Modern computer based tools are used to clean up the hiss on the tapes.... you know the drill.

I get the "willies" everytime I see that something is "newly remastered".

I'm not getting rid of my MFSL yet! :( But I *will* buy one! :)

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think perhaps people want to get a bit too technical about what constitutes "remastering". I'd say in a general perspective - and one that includes the marketing people - it basically means new mastering was done to a previously released recording, regardless of the previous formats it was released on. First time CD release? Remastered. Third CD release? Remastered. First time SACD release? Remastered. You get the idea.

Gary, the *only* way Dark Side *wouldn't* be remastered is if they used an existing digital master for the SACD. That of course is really unlikely, since it's doubtful that a DSD master of the album has ever been made before. They have to make a new digital master, so it is "remastered".

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Not where I live: fifty miles in any direction to find multi-channel audio. Rather pay the postage.

ED:cool:

9. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Basically, I think if you can get the Stones SACDs, you'll be able to get the Floyd. My impression is that this will be a single-SKU upgrade to the existing Dark Side disc. There will be no other version available.

Ryan

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Remastered means: Remastered.
    At least on this forum it should.
    Has the term been over hyped? Yes!
    Has the term been mis-used? Yes!
    But that should not change the 'true' meaning.
    So, the term retains the meaning; what was done in the 'original' mastering, has been 're"-done.

The SACD 'better' have the two channel mix!

11. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

and unless there's a sale, mail order prices are generally lower.

I only have to go 2 miles.

mud-

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Easy enough to get the answer: I'll have my brother check his database and see if there's a pre-order listing for it. There was for the Stones, so I knew I was safe. But this is, AFAIK, an SACD 5.1/stereo deal; don't know if there's a redbook layer. Can't imagine the smaller chains in my area carrying anything that doesn't have a redbook. And the Stones was a lot of discs dropped at the same time; this is only one. We'll see.

ED:cool:

13. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Re: The term "remastering"

DOH!!!:realmad:

14. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

They should.

15. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

This will be a hybrid release, it will contain both a stereo mix and a multichannel mix and, AFAIK, it will be a single inventory replacement for the current stock DSOTM CD.

Check this out:

CES 2003: Dark Side of the Moon Is Coming to SACD

16. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Time to call my EMI Rep...

:)

17. I think every Best Buy store in this city has at least one SACD Sony 5-disc changer for under $150 (they are selling off their demo models as they upgrade). How can you not afford to get an SACD player? I bought mine (a single disc dvd/sacd player) a few mos. back for $170 and was very very pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.