Acquiring used vinyl...is it worth hunting anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chester0711, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah those days have been over for a while .... I miss going through old records and people staring at you in disbelief

2. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Jim, don't you have enough already?? You should start buying classical!!

3. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

If there were as many buyers 10 years ago as there are today, then those pressings wouldn't have been $5-$10. Also, those "hipsters and clueless newbies" have enabled countless reissues, loads of new equipment, and the first new presses in decades.

socorro and NaturalD like this.
  4. BG99

BG99 Forum Resident

I try to get to the used stores and garage sales (for both LP's and CD's) when I can. I almost always think I won't find much at the garage sales and end up doing way better than I expect.

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

And turn into a manic depressive, no thanks. Life is hard enough!

JG

6. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

Where I am, great stuff could be had at garage and estate sales 10 years ago, but since then it has most definitely dried up. Everyone is clued in to the "vinyl resurgence" and think that they have a goldmine in their closet. They take them to local record stores (which is good), or eBay them. Only Classical and Big Band are given away as worthless.

There are a ton more people hunting now than 10 years ago around here. It was great while it lasted, since being near LA, there were lots of industry people with rare Rock, and wealthy guys who collected Jazz before they passed away. Finding good stuff now in these venues is extremely difficult, and when I do see 60s Rock, the Estate Sale companies price them up higher than a record store!

Cronverc and bosskeenneat like this.
  7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I've been upgrading my library of LP's with the reissued 180 gram vinyl versions (based on my childhood). For the most part, I buy the titles I bought as a child & not every reissue that comes along. I also buy LP's that I wanted back then & a few of the new releases. I still like buying LP's & 45's from yard sales, thrift stores & used records bins at stores though. The stuff I like to buy used are the oddball "never to be rereleased" titles. I don't mind the clicks & pops if it's the only way I can get the songs. Yes, hunting for & acquiring used vinyl is still fun. My opinion.

8. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

I thought classical was 'relaxing'!

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Yep. I got a double RL Zep II in vg shape for 15 bucks a few months ago at a larger Seattle store.

Cronverc likes this.
  10. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

As someone who speny years enjoying the thrift store vinyl glory days, those days are gone. I accept it and when I do find a treasure(rarely) I enjoy it for what it is, a treat that isn't going to happen to often. I have much better luck these days at the local record shops, they still are selling good stuff at more than fair prices, a lot of other places would call it cheap even. Will those prices last forever as used stock becomes even more hard to get in, doubtful. The interesting thing to watch for is when the so called hipsters and or those who just bought stuff to look cool in the house, when they start dumping what they bought, might be a mini boom at that point, maybe. The days of walking into a thrift store and finding 50 treasures for 50 bucks or even less, I accept those great, fun days are certainly over. There will be times, few and far between where it will happen, but I don't expect, or even hope for it though, but I still stop in now and again, perhaps just out of reflex, I did it so much for so long.

11. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Amoeba in San Francisco is particularly cool about this as well. The people who work there will clue you in if you’re a regular. I was recently told about a major jazz collection a few days before it landed on their floor, etc. - they are super nice.

12. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

Yes, the 60's charts, a real eye opener because the fact is the world of music was anything but a big giant psychedelic rock fest back then. It was squaresville! Me, I like to stare at those company inner sleeves with their big sellers Kostelanetz and Co one after another, and here and there a rock artist dotted in like a sore thumb -- Dean Martin...101 Strings...uh, the kinks?? You know what I mean. What's weird is that for me at least it intervenes in my tastes. I mean I always have loved cheesy lounge records and stuff but now that Les Baxter and Martin Denny are well known, where do ya go? Personally I love no-joke Glen Campbell, Sergio Mendez, and hey there are for sure a bunch of others I dare not name for obvious reasons!!!!!! TOP SECRET!!!!!! Some of that stuff can be found in mint condition baby, I got a Wichita Lineman in shrink just yesterday. WHY NOT.

13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I don't think any of them are Top Secret anymore.

[​IMG]

14. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Maybe You right, could be a good thing for some people, not for me though. I pretty much don't care about modern "digital" reissues, prefer originals as well as equipment from the golden age of audio. But that just me.

15. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I found the same one, cover VG record VG+ for $0.99 in the discount bin a couple of years ago. Funny thing, in the regular bin at the same store they had the late 70s-early 80s reissue priced at $20.

Kevin j likes this.
  16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

[​IMG]
    Today was a decent day. Several records I don't see often, if ever. Covers are not in the best shape mostly vg,some stickers to take off, but whoever owned them cared for the actual vinyl, nicely. All first pressings as best I can tell from matrix's. As I say, there still are fun finds out there, not like it was, but you never know. I will probably go back, as there was a ton of NM classical, original Phillips, London FFrr, Mercury and assorted goodies. I just wanted to grab these Jazz titles first. Should be some great listening. I've been looking for an original Jazz For Hi fi Lovers in the wild for a while.
    Jazz For Hi Fi Lovers-Dawn DLP 1124
    Donald Byrd At The Half Note Cafe Volume 2-Blue Note BST 84061
    Stan Getz An Introduction To The World Of Stan Getz-Verve VS-200
    Brooks Authur Ensemble Sole Forms-Verve V-8650
    Art Hodes The Funky Piano Of Art Hodes-Blue Note B-6502
    Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley-Capitol T1657
    Bennie Green Walkin And Talkin-Blue Note BST 84010
    Jimmy McGriff A Thing To Come By-Solid State SS 18060
    Ruby Braff's Alll Stars-BRAFF!-Epic LN 3377
    Grasselia Oliphant The Grass Is Greener-Atlantic 1494

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Sometimes thrifts can yield gems. Case in point, Madisonville, TN. Bought a number of good jazz records 3/$1.00 last week.

Dave Brubeck/Time Out (Columbia 360 Sound Stereo, 1965 pressing) VG Plus
    Billie Holiday/Lady In Satin (Columbia Stereo 1970 label, VG Plus)
    Gene Ammons/Blue Gene (Prestige Yellow, Bergenfield, NJ mono, Abbey pressing) Ugly, plays VG.
    The Mamas & The Papas/Farewell To The First Golden Era (Stereo, ABC/Dunhill. VG Plus)
    Patti Page/The East Side (Mercury Stereo, NM-)
    The Great Ray Charles (Atlantic mono second label, VG Plus)
    The Oscar Peterson Trio/We Get Requests (Verve Stereo NM-)

Thrift on Saturday in Oak Ridge, TN

Tommy James & The Shondells/Cellophane Symphony (Roulette Stereo, VG Plus)
    The Best Of Peter & Gordon (Capitol Stereo, VG)
    Ben Hur Soundtrack Deluxe Edition (MGM Mono, VG Box, NM Record and Book)
    Raymond LeFevre & His Orchestra/Ame Caline (Soul Coaxing) (Kapp 4 Corners Of The World Stereo, NM complete with original 4 Corners Innersleeve. I also have the UK Major-Minor Stereo bought New Old Stock to go with it.
    Alan Freed compilation on End, Mono, VG Plus

$1 each.

Today, Maryville, TN

Oscar Peterson Plays Count Basie (Clef mono original, VG Plus)
    Fletcher Henderson/Birth Of Big Band Jazz (UK London 10" mono, Riverside licensed) VG Plus
    Woody Herman and The New Third Herd (UK London 10" mono) VG Plus

$1 each and Proof good things can be found in the wild, in out of the way places. Dig, baby, Dig!

oldjollymon likes this.
  18. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I actually found a mint Beatles record at a thrift store yesterday that wasn't marked up. It was buried in a huge donation of tidy Gospel Records. Not that I needed another copy of the Help! soundtrack but it's such a rare occasion I had to buy it as a memento. It can still happen!

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.