Adding a phono-stage or not?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sugarcool, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarcool

sugarcool Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have recently bought a MOFI-STUDIO Deck turntable but I saw that MOFI also has this phono stage with
    Mono-switch and Subsonic filter. Now I have a DENON-1500AE amplifier and it has a MC/MM switch.
    So to connect a turntable with either MC or MM- cardridge is no problem. However I want to know if it is
    still a good idea to use such a phono-stage box or would it be totally superfluous? By the way what is better
    to connect it seperatly with this box (despite of the MM/MC-switch on the Denon) or is that to much interferance to the signal that the amp has to transmit.

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Better is up to you. You decide this. Are there advantages to an external phono stage? Yes, they area easier to match to a specific cartridge. But, I'm not stating that the new MoFi cartridge doesn't match well to it. I actually have no idea. But I would think the MoFi would match well. Superfluous, shouldn't be a thing. You would use different input on the Denon. You wouldn't use the phono input, this would be superfluous and actually redundant. You don't want redundant as the RIAA equalization would be applied twice. This would result in boomy bass and probably nonexistent treble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.