Adding A Tape Monitor To An Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by POE_UK, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I connected my external DAC to the CD terminal of my preamp, USB connected the DAC to my computer. I play CD in my Rega Planet 2000 though this 24/192 DAC (my Planet 2000 built-in DAC is somewhat ancient) or play music from the computer. Either way, I listen to music through my large rig ... :righton:

Not exactly sure if connecting the DAC to the Aux terminal will work, though some folks on another thread claimed the connection would work.

POE_UK likes this.
  2. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Should do, obviously my tape deck has to be switched on for the amp to output any sound but thats no big deal, i use it all the time. The possibilities are endless with these amps i freakin love it, you can connect the ext in/out to a valve preamp for extra warmth, in fact anything at line level in a chain, even fx pedals and mixers!

Bonus is ive now added a nice large dB meter from my deck that works on any input

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Now THAT's ingenuity man ! :righton:

POE_UK likes this.
  4. coopmv

It is an implicit tape loop ... :agree:

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

So what happens if you are recording and the phone rings or the cops knock at the door, so you have to turn the volume down? Is your recording wrecked?

6. POE_UK

The master volume control doesn't affect the recording, the main volume is the power amp, the tape loop is the preamp

7. coopmv

Maybe this is not a bad deal overall. A good standalone DAC costs a few hundred dollars and this Yamaha integrated is available for $900, though I am sure it is not as good as some of my vintage separates ...

8. POE_UK

Don't do it m8, these separates dont hold a candle to the old stuff

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Amen to that bro !!

POE_UK likes this.
  10. coopmv

Unfortunately, Yamada does not make a standalone DAC as I just checked its website. Comparable DAC from different manufacturers costs at least a few hundred bucks ...

I hear you, sound wise, I doubt this Yamaha integrated will be as good as my vintage amp/preamp combo ...

11. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Just an FYI, Radio Shack mfg these units. It expands a single Tape Monitor circuit into (3), with the ability to send each deck/EQ/signal processor to any of the others. The utmost in flexibility. Uncertain if still currently mfg....

[​IMG]

POE_UK and The Pinhead like this.
  12. coopmv

The last two Radio Shacks stores in my area were shut down a year ago ... :sigh:

Gramps Tom likes this.
  13. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Yeah, here also. I think they're in trouble, but these units may be available used on Ebay or Uncle AMAZON. I had one decades ago, and used it a lot. It's likely in storage with one of my older components....

14. POE_UK

Mate ive tried, none of this mainstream modern stuff sounds as good as my old 1979 Sony TA-636

This is a video i did about a year ago

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. coopmv

Have you ever sent your 1979 Sony TA-636 to the repair shop?

16. POE_UK

No mate did it myself, thats what the videos about

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

just make sure your deck does not spin the capstan constantly while switched on. That would wear out the capstan motor quickly.

18. POE_UK

Its a direct Drive deck but yes you are right, adding a power switch to the motor would be a good idea

19. coopmv

Here is where things stand ...

NAD 116, made in Singapore of top-notched quality has two tape loops (used in my main system with Conrad Johnson MF2500A)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NAD 1700, made in Japan also has two tape loops (not being used)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I will try to work with either of these preamp, buy a new amp (tube or Class A?) and buy an outboard DAC and forget that Yamaha integrated. I really do not have much confidence on both the build quality and sound quality of present-day amp ...

The build quality of NAD electronics made in you-know-where is nothing to write home about.

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. coopmv

Here is the correct image for NAD 1700 preamp/tuner, I mistakenly pulled in the one for the 7400 receiver ...

[​IMG]

After 2000, NAD wanted to maximize profits and began to make all its products in you-know-where. As a result, the build quality of its products has dramatically declined and I stopped buying all NAD products about ten years ago ...

21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

My Peachtree Nova150 has phono, Excellent DAC, preamp out, and a tape loop, also allows any of the digital inputs to be fixed volume so you can se volume on the source. Two analog inputs. One can also be a MM phono, and the other can be a HT bypass. Easily the best set of features of any amp I've owned, modern or vintage. Only thing missing is a second tape loop for dubbing but it's easy to add a dedicated box like my old DBX 400x of any number of options for dubbing.

Without getting into the ethics of it, I can even record sources like Tidal and Apple Music on my Korg on the tape loop. Don't do it, was just curious if it would work. I subscribe so so reason to record it, but needle drops are perfect.

[​IMG]

22. BayouTiger

I should add that VCRs that are capable of really good audio recordings are rare. I fell for it when I got my first VHS HiFi deck and it was capable in theory, but I never found one that came lose to even my worst cassette, much less my X1000R. Tried lots over the years, but never found it to be a decent option.

23. coopmv

This is an interesting integrated and made in North America. I too, have a dbx 400x sitting idle ...

24. BayouTiger

The 400x was the best tool ever for those of us that were gung ho tapeHeads! I gave mine away as I was sure I would never use it again. Still have an old BSR graphic EQ3000 with a loop or two. :)

25. coopmv

I am now leaning toward an outboard DAC to work with some of the older gears I have. I have been listening to quite a few SACD's through my Tandberg 3003 amp/Harman Kardon HK 825 preamp and a Yamaha universal player through a pair of KLH's the last few evenings. The SQ is excellent. Mind you the Tandberg and HK are over 30 years old and obviously quite well-made. With the present-day equipment, unless you spend a lot of money, the build quality just is not there because companies no longer want to make anything with durability. I am retired and am in no mood to buy new audio gears every two or three years ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.