Adele- 25 album news and information

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Alison's last album was a big hit, top 5 in the UK, and she performed a sell out tour. Not bad for an artist 30+ years into her career. Of course she no longer has hit singles because the charts no longer work that way with older artists.

DesertHermit and Thom like this.
  2. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I was about to say the same thing. In fact, every single album of Moyet's has charted in the top 25 on the UK charts since her debut. Two of her albums from the 2000s went top ten, 2004's Voice and last year's The Minutes. I am a huge fan of her and do see similar parallels between her and Adele, in terms of writing ability and big voices.

bob60 likes this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I know what you mean: it's very French-sounding and I think think that Francis Lai (who wrote the Love Story Theme and is French) had in mind the same sort of very simple chanson that Adele is aiming at here. I find "Million Years Ago" almost irritatingly simple, but of course in songs of this style you're meant to be listening for the artistry of the vocalist, not for complexity in the arrangement or chord structure.

willy likes this.
  4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Back in my dj days yaz was a big deal with Situation as well as a few others, like Only You and Don't Go. Alison is very much in the style of Adele but generally the musical backdrop couldn't be more different with Yaz.

BTW, it's official, she has the highest first week sales in the UK with 737,000 so far.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Adele just announced she will be touring. EU and UK dates were announced. I assume US dates will come soon.

D-rock likes this.
  6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I saw this and cheered for Europe. Hope there will be US dates as well. She's so intense, I really don't know how her voice can hold up through it.

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

9. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

HDD numbers are in.

ADELE
    XL/COLUMBIA 3,354,773

11. zen

zen Senior Member

Take a day off after each concert.

12. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Seen the European schedule and the first thing that came to my mind was that it was very well put together, with plenty of rest days scattered throughout. She mentioned in an interview on a US morning show that the whole success of 21 came as a big surprise and had overwhelmed and stifled her but that this time around she sort of knew what to expect and is more prepared. And it shows because in all the recent tv appearances and performances she seems very much in control and very confident.

alan967tiger and zen like this.
  13. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Another (sometimes) grumpy old man here ... I had no intention of getting this; my kid is home for Thanksgiving and had gotten the Target version. She thought I'd like it, and to humor her, I figured I'd put it on while I did some other chores around the house. So 4 days later, I find myself listening to it several times a day ... I'm no expert, but it's a fine album. Of the 11 main songs, I very much like 6 or so; the 2nd and 3rd bonus tracks are very good, but the 1st (Can't Let Go) is less-than-average. "All I ask" is very Carole King-y - - I like it, but it's the one spot on the record where Adele's high register really strains. I don't know if that's a recording artifact or whether she's limited up there (all the praise for her voice notwithstanding).
    One last observation: given the popularity of this, I would not be surprised if a lot more people decided to take up the piano.

Grant, alan967tiger and D-rock like this.
  14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

It's funny that you wrote Can't Let Go is less than average, this is the singular moment that had me blubbering like a small child.
    I don't normally write stuff this personal on the forum but here goes:
    My grandmother was my favourite person in the world, when she passed away at 93 5 years ago I took care of her in her last days. After her cremation, before her burial I wrote a note and placed it in the box with her ashes, that was buried with her.
    Imagine how I felt when I heard these words:
    Did you get the note that I wrote?
    I hid it in the seam of your coat.
    It was hard to write, I had a lump in my throat.
    Do you even know that I can't let go?
    Sometimes I feel like I'm in the dark.
    I thought I died in your arms.
    Did you find the note that I wrote?
    I hid it in the seam of your coat.
    It was hard to write, I had a lump in my throat.
    Do you even know that I can't let go?
    Oh you know that I won't let go.

mrjinks, D-rock and alan967tiger like this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

What's with 'Yaz'? Are you getting Yazoo/Alison Moyet mixed up with Yazz, who was a completely different singer?

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

mrjinks, MikeVielhaber and guppy270 like this.
  17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

handkerchieves are selling a lot nowadays, so Italian manufacturer "Tempo" officially thanks Adele for that, implying that people her new album is helping people to cry more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Hiptobesquare

Hiptobesquare Active Member

Weren't Yazoo called Yaz in the States for some reason? It seems to ring a bell...

ARK likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Ah, I think you may be right. That explains it. I had never heard that before.

Hiptobesquare likes this.
  20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I, again, realized my mortality when some kid I talked to yesterday didn't know whom Michael Jackson was.

here in the U.S., Allyson Moyet only had one hit in 1985: "Invisible". Prophetic.

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

yes they were!

Hiptobesquare likes this.
  22. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I'm sure that was a joke on your part. Except trying to compare Ms. Adele to The Beatles as I can see that as being a joke.

-Richard

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I've been reading Amanda Peteusich's reviews for years. She is a tremendous writer and very knowledgable about rock music history. I need to read that review; her insights are always interesting to me (love her reviews of all new Dylan albums). She's also done a book about 78 collectors that I have been meaning to read.

24. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have a question. I did a search on Adele 25 and there are a couple of threads, this one being the biggest. Is there somewhere in this thread (or in another thread) where Adele 25 on vinyl is discussed with respect to where the vinyl was pressed, the quality of the pressing, and obviously the quality of the sound (dynamic range, compression, equalization, etc.)?

25. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

LF1, Is RKS what is hand written in the dead wax? I saw the letters, must have been looking at them upside down because it look like SXX to me, but they were very hard to read. What do you make of the numbers that were hand written next to the initials?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.