Adele to have the highest first week sales in both US and UK!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

It would be awesome to have a well-mastered version, I don't put much stock in the DR db for vinyl but a different mastering credit in the notes speaks volumes.

Ryan @ Sterling did that terrific AAA job on the 2LP 45rpm Counting Crowes for Analogue Productions.

2. Chapman

Chapman Member

Go Adele, you deserve it!

willy likes this.
  3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

watching all this happen has been a blast. I have played this album about a dozen times now:)
    Side 1 is just about as perfect a side as I can imagine.
    side 2 has 3 ballads together, Love In The Dark, Million Years Ago and All I Ask. Every one of those is just mind bending.

willy, alan967tiger and Chapman like this.
  4. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Bought the LP, listened to it last night.

Overall, quite good, but I do need to give it a few more listens to get a better feel for the songs. I thought the second & third tracks on side one suffered a bit by the overproduction...or should I say, contemporary production. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer it when she just lets her voice stand upfront with some minimal instrumental accompaniment.

Sound quality is not too bad either, a bit soft sounding maybe. I agree that she could use a little better recording quality or mastering, something that could let her voice breathe a little better, give it some space.

stem and alan967tiger like this.
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Caption: My name is Adele and I'm cute.

willy and PH416156 like this.
  6. omar ravenhurst

omar ravenhurst Well-Known Member

There's quite a bit of anticipation of next week's Hot 100 with some people speculating that The Beatles' 'Whole Top Five' record may be next to go, this time to Adele.
    It's certainly possible.

7. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Except Be Here Now still beats 25 in the UK.

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

What are you talking about, have you even read this thread?

9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

More here:

It has beaten the three-day first week sales record set by Oasis in 1997 with Be Here Now at 696k, although hasn't quite achieved the band’s seven-day feat of 813k.

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=298715

Haristar likes this.
  10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Paul H and Zeki like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm picturing the two brother from Oasis having a fight and blaming each other over why they couldn't make another album that sold well when they found out their record was broken. heh.

bob60 likes this.
  12. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

So I crunched some numbers and this puts Adele's accomplishment in even sharper relief:

--In 2000, album sales were at an all time high (785 million). N Sync set the record with 2.4 million sales in the first week, which translates to .03% of ALL albums sold in 2000.
    --In 2015, album sales will be at their lowest point since the beginning of the SoundScan era. The year isn't over, but based on yearly declines, we can assume that total sales this year will be 228 million. (Down 11% from 2014's 257 million, as album sales have been declining about 11% each year.)
    And in this marketplace, Adele is on pace to sell 3.4 million for the week... Which will translate to 1.5% of ALL albums sold this year. In one week!!

dino77, SITKOL'76, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  13. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

There's something about the photograph on the cover of this album that just spooks me. I dunno if it's the shape of the woman's chin or her unfathomable facial expression but I'm just uneasy with it. The music doesn't do anything for me either. Pass.

14. Haristar

Obviously 800,000 albums in a week is impressive but which ever way you look at it Oasis still beat her.

15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Thank you so much for posting that message, we will all feel better now knowing your opinions on an album cover.
    Seriously, is it just me or does anybody else think that this reply is just plain bizarre?

mrjinks, Sordel, willy and 2 others like this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Again not really a fan here, but I think the album cover is quite good. Good (or bad depending on your POV) it draws you in and that's what an album cover should do.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What way are you looking at it aside from being an Oasis fan?

dino77 likes this.
  18. Haristar

Zeki likes this.
  19. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's total sales thus far from just one week are nearly 6M WW. I'm curious to see what it's total sales will be. It's ridiculous how much it's sold.

20. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

To comfort her, Adele is not a knob from Manchester.

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

dino77 likes this.
  22. Haristar

To comfort the knobs from Manchester, they still have their record.

23. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Along with all the thrift stores of the world...

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Trolling in the deep?

25. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

haha....as I've said before, chart weeks have a beginning date and an end date. Oasis dropped their album in the middle of the week, so at the end of that chart week (sunday) they officially sold 697 or whatever k that week.
    Adele sold 800k this past week, the difference is now the chart week runs Fri. to Fri. instead of Sun. to Sun

This 7 day period stuff is nonsense. Adele sold the most in the chart week pure and simple. Her 800k sets a record. Not to mention that she stomped on Oasis in the BIGGEST SELLING ALBUMS OF ALL TIME category in the UK. Who knows? She may do it again. Not to mention the US, where she has officially sold more albums in 1 week than any other country ever has in history, around 3.4 million.

bob60 and willy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.